Is white supremacy normal in the USA?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Frost

Re: Is white supremacy normal in the USA?

Post by Frost »

Belindi wrote: January 26th, 2018, 4:46 pm From "Grutter v Bollinger:
ruled that the University of Michigan Law School had a compelling interest in promoting class diversity. The Court held that a race-conscious admissions process that may favor "underrepresented minority groups", but that also took into account many other factors evaluated on an individual basis for every applicant, did not amount to a quota system that would have been unconstitutional under Regents of the University of California v. Bakke.
Frost, note that there was no quota system.
Oh they effectively do have quota systems. They just call it something else to avoid legal trouble. It's like with the Affordable Care Act that created a penalty for those that didn't have health insurance, and to get around such an illegal law they referred to it as a "tax."

What is common today is simply to compare the racial diversity to the population and any discrepancy is taken to be prima facie evidence of discrimination, permitting discrimination of any "over-represented" groups. In this U.S. this has traditionally been whites, but now it is increasing occurring against Asians.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Frost wrote: January 26th, 2018, 3:34 pm
LuckyR wrote: January 26th, 2018, 3:11 pm
Oh, okay, not only universities but also tech companies (where you have to to to a university to qualify for a job, duh). You get you are describing a subset of a subset, right?

Still not a big or universal problem.
No, that’s not how the law works. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a federal law. The Grutter v. Bollinger (2003) case effectively made the federal law permissive of discrimination against whites. That's about as universal as you can get in the U.S.
Not so much. Not getting callbacks for apartment for rent inquiries or when answering ads for ordinary jobs is universal. Not getting into law school or getting passed over for an executive position at Facebook is a 0.001 to 1.5 percent problem.
"As usual... it depends."
Frost

Post by Frost »

LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:10 am
Not so much. Not getting callbacks for apartment for rent inquiries or when answering ads for ordinary jobs is universal. Not getting into law school or getting passed over for an executive position at Facebook is a 0.001 to 1.5 percent problem.
So I demonstrate that there is federal law that says it's okay to discriminate against whites and this is the response I get? Sounds like something a racist would say to defend racist laws.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Frost wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:28 am
LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:10 am
So I demonstrate that there is federal law that says it's okay to discriminate against whites and this is the response I get? Sounds like something a racist would say to defend racist laws.
Everyone with a modicum of life experience knows there is all kinds of discrimination in Real Life, no surprise there. But there is humour when observing a few express dismay (ah do declare!) when a tiny fraction of the unfairness happens to impact their tribe (even if they personally have not been passed over for anything).
Frost

Post by Frost »

LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:51 am Everyone with a modicum of life experience knows there is all kinds of discrimination in Real Life, no surprise there. But there is humour when observing a few express dismay (ah do declare!) when a tiny fraction of the unfairness happens to impact their tribe (even if they personally have not been passed over for anything).
Intellectual dishonesty and moral degeneracy are a bad combination. Continue to defend your racism you degenerate.

racist
adj. Of, relating to, or advocating racism.

Racism
n. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

By definition, defending a law that is explicitly racist makes you racist. But of course you will continue your intellectual dishonesty to defend your moral degeneracy.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Frost wrote: January 26th, 2018, 5:37 pm
Belindi wrote: January 26th, 2018, 4:46 pm From "Grutter v Bollinger:

Frost, note that there was no quota system.
Oh they effectively do have quota systems. They just call it something else to avoid legal trouble. It's like with the Affordable Care Act that created a penalty for those that didn't have health insurance, and to get around such an illegal law they referred to it as a "tax."

What is common today is simply to compare the racial diversity to the population and any discrepancy is taken to be prima facie evidence of discrimination, permitting discrimination of any "over-represented" groups. In this U.S. this has traditionally been whites, but now it is increasing occurring against Asians.
What are "Asians"?
Do you know what criteria the greater American universities use to select students? If so, how do you know and what are your sources?

People who are not white are increasing in power and you are worried .
Please refer to Is white supremacy normal in the USA?
so that I can know which meaning of 'normal' you are debating about.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Belindi wrote: January 27th, 2018, 4:36 am What are "Asians"?
Do you know what criteria the greater American universities use to select students? If so, how do you know and what are your sources?

People who are not white are increasing in power and you are worried .
Please refer to Is white supremacy normal in the USA?
so that I can know which meaning of 'normal' you are debating about.

Asians is not very specific, but we are dealing with low-resolution statistics. It can mean ethnic Asians and Indians, broadly speaking.

Related to Grutter v. Bollinger, the dissenting opinion of Rehnquist describes the problem:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-241.ZD.html

This describes many more cases that get into the actual practices:

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and-in ... -the#_ftn7

I don't know why you would add in that I am "worried" that non-whites are in power. What ever happened to liberal ideals of equality before the law? Why are you insinuating that I am bringing this up out of a concern of non-whites being in power? Justice Thomas' dissenting opinion in Grutter v. Bollinger sums it up well:
The Constitution abhors classifications based on race, not only because those classifications can harm favored races or are based on illegitimate motives, but also because every time the government places citizens on racial registers and makes race relevant to the provision of burdens or benefits, it demeans us all. “Purchased at the price of immeasurable human suffering, the equal protection principle reflects our Nation’s understanding that such classifications ultimately have a destructive impact on the individual and our society.” Adarand Construction, Inc. v. Peña,, 515 U.S. 200, 240 (1995)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-241.ZX1.html
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Frost wrote: January 27th, 2018, 3:10 am
LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:51 am Everyone with a modicum of life experience knows there is all kinds of discrimination in Real Life, no surprise there. But there is humour when observing a few express dismay (ah do declare!) when a tiny fraction of the unfairness happens to impact their tribe (even if they personally have not been passed over for anything).
Intellectual dishonesty and moral degeneracy are a bad combination. Continue to defend your racism you degenerate.

racist
adj. Of, relating to, or advocating racism.

Racism
n. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

By definition, defending a law that is explicitly racist makes you racist. But of course you will continue your intellectual dishonesty to defend your moral degeneracy.
Hhmmmm... you do make a few important and well thought out comments and observations here.

Just kidding, only standard keyboard bravado.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors. YNI...
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Frost, isn't it within the law for an American law school to admit students on the basis of ability , and where two (hypothetical) students are equal in ability to prefer the African American to the white skinned applicant for the following two reasons:

1. The African American by virtue of her low ascribed status has more persistence or native wit that enabled her to be equal in achieved status, despite social disadvantage, to the white skinned applicant. This exception may of course apply to the applicant from any disadvantaged background such as unemployed parents , physical disability, and so on.

2. The African American applicant by virtue of her life experience within an ethnic minority can add balance to the law school's output of qualified lawyers.

The above would act simply as casting votes so that the law is served.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Belindi wrote: January 28th, 2018, 4:58 am Frost, isn't it within the law for an American law school to admit students on the basis of ability , and where two (hypothetical) students are equal in ability to prefer the African American to the white skinned applicant for the following two reasons:

1. The African American by virtue of her low ascribed status has more persistence or native wit that enabled her to be equal in achieved status, despite social disadvantage, to the white skinned applicant. This exception may of course apply to the applicant from any disadvantaged background such as unemployed parents , physical disability, and so on.

2. The African American applicant by virtue of her life experience within an ethnic minority can add balance to the law school's output of qualified lawyers.

The above would act simply as casting votes so that the law is served.
Yes, that is permitted within the law, but the point is that the evidence shows that they are admitting minorities that are underqualified. However, holding Asian students to higher standards is starting to create tension since they are a minority that are being discriminated against when they are well-qualified. Asians tend not to speak out against abuses, for whatever reason, but one can hope that they can help fight the good fight against racial discrimination.

It would benefit all in the long-run, including those minorities that are receiving preferential treatment. Nothing like using racial discrimination to admit underqualified minorities into schools that are above their skill level, raising their drop-out rates and the rate of fudging grades so that you don't admit all these minorities and then fail them, only to put out underqualified minorities into the work place. It just reinforces racial stereotypes, because students notice that the bottom of the class are the black kids, or that the underqualified professionals are the black ones. I even had a personal experience with this when I got a new doctor and found out she was black...I don't care about the color of her skin, but I am well-aware that she graduated when affirmative action was in place, so I can't help but wonder how qualified she really is. Sad. :(
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Frost:
I don't care about the color of her skin, but I am well-aware that she graduated when affirmative action was in place, so I can't help but wonder how qualified she really is.
You are conflating several different things. Admittance under affirmative action does not mean graduation under affirmative action. Getting into medical school does not mean graduating medical school and graduating medical school does not mean passing the testing process. The tests are not weighed differently for minorities.
Nothing like using racial discrimination to admit underqualified minorities into schools that are above their skill level, raising their drop-out rates and the rate of fudging grades so that you don't admit all these minorities and then fail them
The problem is not under qualified minorities but under qualified students. Grade inflation is a systemic problem. It could be argued that it is due to the privilege of wealth and a shift in academia toward bureaucracy, growth, and profit that the graduation rate of unqualified students of all races and ethnicities is so high.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Fooloso4 wrote: January 28th, 2018, 1:03 pm You are conflating several different things. Admittance under affirmative action does not mean graduation under affirmative action. Getting into medical school does not mean graduating medical school and graduating medical school does not mean passing the testing process. The tests are not weighed differently for minorities.
Oh but they were. That was the problem. With Affirmative Action, under-qualified (though generally otherwise intelligent) blacks were admitted into schools and classes operating at a level beyond their skill. They didn't magically become more skilled, and in order to avoid a PR nightmare of flunking the Affirmative Action students they were given passing grades.
Fooloso4 wrote: January 28th, 2018, 1:03 pm The problem is not under qualified minorities but under qualified students. Grade inflation is a systemic problem. It could be argued that it is due to the privilege of wealth and a shift in academia toward bureaucracy, growth, and profit that the graduation rate of unqualified students of all races and ethnicities is so high.
I've always thought the grading curve was ridiculous, but that doesn't change the systemic discrimination against better qualified students based on their race.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I think there is an issue coming to the surface here that has nothing to do with race, sex or religion. The simply truth is that more and more today the idea of "equality" is being pushed; ironically it is being pushed as an "ideal."

When we start saying that there are 30% of people in the country with brown eyes and over 5'8" therefore we should enforce the rule that this group of people should be represented in governmental positions by 30%, regardless of qualifications or relevant skills; I think there is a serious problem.

Outrage seems to be the biggest driving force. People are thrilled to be outraged, thrilled to think that they are saying something "meaningful" and combating some "evil" in society.

Poverty stricken people are in poverty because they are in a position that is difficult to get out of. Differences in culture are stringer than racial differences most likely. Given that the largest difference between any two human beings is vastly closer than the closest genetic resemblance between two primates I don't really think we're talking about any big difference on an individual to individual basis. The biggest difference are in physical strengths between men and women, the rest has so much overlap that it is barely worth registering given the complexity and diversity of factors involved from upbringing, religious beliefs, ...; or to cut to the point cultural differences (which include a swathe of items - which in and of themselves hold within greater sets of items.)

To enforce a set of rules for any particular "group" is a detriment as far as I can see. Items of concern like apartheid were removed because they were an enforced set of rules, it was not about imposing rules. The issue is more about dealing with the fall out in as manageable a way as possible. I don't think playing the victim is helpful, although from a psychological perspective pretty much every human being is well aware of taking up this position in some form or another (some people grow out of it very quickly and others do not; maybe because they suffer enough hardship to reinforce their 'cry baby attitude' rather than act with resolve and fortitude in the face of harsh adversity.)

People suffer. Suffering IS freedom. I don't want to live in a totalitarian state, I don't want an Orwellian world. It does seem that more and more people are actively pushing toward such a thing but they are blind to the possible negative outcomes of their actions.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The Affirmative Action topic has been done in other threads at length already. The reality is that in graduate, medical and law schools, there are many times more qualified applicants than there are slots to admit students into. In this context "qualified" means: meets the entrance requirements and will likely graduate. That's why these schools are so competitive, after all.

So what does the term "under qualified" mean? It means whatever you want it to mean.

Everyone agrees (or should) that admitting unqualified applicants for any reason, including athletic prowess, who their father is, how much their family donated to the university or what race they happen to be is a bad idea. OTOH, it is widely accepted that using any of the above things to help admit qualified applicants is commonplace.

Isn't it interesting that I have yet to see a thread complaining about the preference children of alumni donors receive?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Lucky -

Corruption exists. The world isn't perfect. If someone is "under qualified" it certainly does mean something. It means they are not qualified to do the job, in the sense that they've not shown any particular competence in this or that area. It does not mean that you need qualifications to get a job it means that qualifications are how we gauge general industriousness and technical knowhow in this or that area. The individual may fail to "qualify" in a number of other not related areas - such as personal disposition or general attitude.

There seems to be some grey area where "prejudices" are easily conflated with "preferences." People will generally not hire someone who they think will cause disruption within the work environment (unless that is there aim for some reason.) Given that we're mainly visual animals a lot of emphasis is put on physical appearance, which includes things like how serious they interviewee looks, how friendly they are, their sexuality, posture and such. All of this then plays into the interviewers experiences of people who physically compose themselves in a similar way to the interviewee. For a personal example of this you can most likely relate to this with sexual attraction. Once you've fallen for someone you tend to act toward people who present certain parts of their characteristics in a particularly positive way - the best we can do is be partly aware of these unconscious machinations, but not become overly obsessed with them.

It isn't particularly interesting to me because I'm not from the US. I would find it surprising if rich parents didn't do all they could, and pay for, the best start for their children. I don't think doing this is the "best" for all children, but it could be argued that for some such action may help them in the long term.

There is certainly danger in using educational institutions as a consumable product. I have been looking at both sides of that argument for sometime. It's difficult to say the least! When universities are paid more because more students pass the exam I find that worrying.
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream