Any Questions About Living With Legal Marijuana? Your Area Considering It?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Dlaw

Re: Any Questions About Living With Legal Marijuana? Your Area Considering It?

Post by Dlaw »

jerlands wrote: February 14th, 2018, 10:26 pm The reason the Feds don't leave this alone is financial. There's a huge industry pushing opioids, chemo, synthetic fabrics and GMO's all of which would suffer loss should it become nationally legalized. I think we should let dying industries do just that or find other niches to fill.
There's an interesting cross-current, though: a regulatable marijuana industry is a local marijuana industry.

Medical Marijuana - and I use marijuana medically - is bascially a scam. It allows local growers to create a hydroponic industry and have a more stable market. Marijuana does not replace pain medicines or tranquilizers, but it can be used to help patients use less of the addicting drugs and still feel comfortable.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dlaw wrote: February 15th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Greta wrote: February 14th, 2018, 9:13 pm In Australia there are plans to allow more desperately ill people buy it legally, but generally the government is more intent on control. Between (the former) US influence and increasing Chinese influence, I suspect Australia will adopt China's "total control" approach rather than consider what might make its citizens happy.

Given that most people will soon be chronically unemployed or underemployed due to technology, the government might do well to consider some kind of "Soma" to keep potentially bored citizens from becoming unruly. Pot is probably helpful in maintaining public order in that regard, much more so than any other drug aside from dangerous opioids.
Are you in Australia? If so, and you make less than $200,000 a year, find where they have the cheapest power prices in Oz, find yourself somebody who knows plants and start growing weed. The demand is essentially infinite relative to real cost of production.

Legalization is coming. When one actually has pot stores on the high street, it just makes sense. It's as natural as can be. It's - I dare say it - a civilized way to live.
Since it's illegal in Australia, we can't speak openly about it. Certainly pot poses less of a threat on almost every level than alcohol and many legal drugs.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Dlaw wrote: February 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm
jerlands wrote: February 14th, 2018, 10:26 pm The reason the Feds don't leave this alone is financial. There's a huge industry pushing opioids, chemo, synthetic fabrics and GMO's all of which would suffer loss should it become nationally legalized. I think we should let dying industries do just that or find other niches to fill.
There's an interesting cross-current, though: a regulatable marijuana industry is a local marijuana industry.

Medical Marijuana - and I use marijuana medically - is bascially a scam. It allows local growers to create a hydroponic industry and have a more stable market. Marijuana does not replace pain medicines or tranquilizers, but it can be used to help patients use less of the addicting drugs and still feel comfortable.
That's simply fallacy. There's a plethora of info on it's benefits for pain, nausea, depression, cancer and the list goes on. The human being has developed cannabinoid receptors which indicate a relationship with marijuana for hundred's of thousands of years. Also, you should research these pain medicines you seem to favor.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

No need to invoke the Big Pharma bogeyman. Pandering to conservative elderly voters explains votes at the Federal level quite nicely.
"As usual... it depends."
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

LuckyR wrote: February 16th, 2018, 3:10 am
No need to invoke the Big Pharma bogeyman. Pandering to conservative elderly voters explains votes at the Federal level quite nicely.
I don't get it? Why would the federal level get involved in luring votes if it wasn't for support of their agenda i.e., stay in office.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

jerlands wrote: February 15th, 2018, 8:29 pm The human being has developed cannabinoid receptors which indicate a relationship with marijuana for hundred's of thousands of years.
Ok I lied. The human body produces its own cannabinoids. The interesting thing is how cannabinoid receptors play such an important role in our physiology.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

jerlands wrote: February 16th, 2018, 1:12 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 16th, 2018, 3:10 am

I don't get it? Why would the federal level get involved in luring votes if it wasn't for support of their agenda i.e., stay in office.
When one is afraid of being "primaried" within one's own party, one conforms to what one believes the extreme wing of the party believe (even if it not what the majority of voters, or even your party's voters want).
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Greta wrote: February 15th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Dlaw wrote: February 15th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Are you in Australia? If so, and you make less than $200,000 a year, find where they have the cheapest power prices in Oz, find yourself somebody who knows plants and start growing weed. The demand is essentially infinite relative to real cost of production.

Legalization is coming. When one actually has pot stores on the high street, it just makes sense. It's as natural as can be. It's - I dare say it - a civilized way to live.
Since it's illegal in Australia, we can't speak openly about it. Certainly pot poses less of a threat on almost every level than alcohol and many legal drugs.
Until it's legal, you have no idea just how much less of a threat it is. The worst that happens is that people call the emergency services very confused, surrounded by bags of chips and cookies.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

jerlands wrote: February 15th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Dlaw wrote: February 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm

That's simply fallacy. There's a plethora of info on it's benefits for pain, nausea, depression, cancer and the list goes on. The human being has developed cannabinoid receptors which indicate a relationship with marijuana for hundred's of thousands of years. Also, you should research these pain medicines you seem to favor.

I use marijuana medically under the direction of two, real doctors. Both have said that there's simply not enough control in dosing and data on efficacy. So my one doctor is lukewarm on MJ and my other doctor is supportive, but wants me to try and record data. The value of MJ is to reduce the amount of other drugs that have less desirable side effects.

The point is that civilized adults should be able to use marijuana. It's a relatively harmless social drug that hurts my tummy a lot less than alcohol.

It should at least be legal for people over 50!
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

LuckyR wrote: February 16th, 2018, 5:25 pm
jerlands wrote: February 16th, 2018, 1:12 pm
When one is afraid of being "primaried" within one's own party, one conforms to what one believes the extreme wing of the party believe (even if it not what the majority of voters, or even your party's voters want).
From a political perspective, look at the demographics in America on this. Basically we've gone from two-thirds against to 70-80% in favor of marijuana legalization. It's a generational thing and it is a political WINNER for the party that handles it properly.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dlaw wrote: February 17th, 2018, 3:42 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 16th, 2018, 5:25 pm

From a political perspective, look at the demographics in America on this. Basically we've gone from two-thirds against to 70-80% in favor of marijuana legalization. It's a generational thing and it is a political WINNER for the party that handles it properly.
Well, yes and no. While opinions have changed in this and other (homosexual marriage for example) topics, for most voters these topics are not deal breakers ie they will support politicians that they agree with on what they feel are the important issues to them, even if the candidates don't follow their preference on this issue.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

LuckyR wrote: February 21st, 2018, 11:41 am
Dlaw wrote: February 17th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Well, yes and no. While opinions have changed in this and other (homosexual marriage for example) topics, for most voters these topics are not deal breakers ie they will support politicians that they agree with on what they feel are the important issues to them, even if the candidates don't follow their preference on this issue.
But now a lot of people live with marijuana every day. They won't accept a reversal in marijuana "rights" if you will. In California buying 30 g of marijuana you can do in a store. Walk across the border to Arizona with 1g of that marijuana and its potentially a FELONY.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

There are towns ON the California/Arizona border where the disparity in marijuana laws will be greatest.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/marijuana ... 086062001/
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dlaw wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:10 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 21st, 2018, 11:41 am

But now a lot of people live with marijuana every day. They won't accept a reversal in marijuana "rights" if you will. In California buying 30 g of marijuana you can do in a store. Walk across the border to Arizona with 1g of that marijuana and its potentially a FELONY.
And what form will this nonacceptance take?
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

LuckyR wrote: February 24th, 2018, 1:02 am
Dlaw wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:10 pm

And what form will this nonacceptance take?
Good question.

First of all, in BC, California and Holland, breeders and hydroponic growers have been busy for decades perfecting strains and techniques, that growing REALLY valuable marijuana can be done anywhere. That knowledge has just proliferated with the Internet and the cannabis conventions that happen in every major US city now. So the growers will grow it, and in massive quantities. That's now impossible to stop.

Second marijuana concentrates are quickly becoming the cannabis form of choice for users in places where it's legal. Concentrates use legal "vaping" technology- batteries, heaters, atomizers. America has no record of destroying large legal businesses (vaping nicotine) in order to penalize marijuana users in the past few decades.

As concentrates become more popular, users start carrying them everywhere, leaving law enforcement with a nearly impossible task of finding this relatively odorless, easily concealable form of marijuana. I for one, have packed concentrates in my checked luggage a dozen times or more. And because these items come in perfectly clean, commercial packaging, there is little or no chemical trace on hands or anywhere else from handling them.

Finally, people are just not going to reduce their marijuana consumption. Marijuana is everywhere and there are plenty of people who think it's actually GOOD for you, rather than thinking it's anything like a dangerous drug.

So the only people convicted for marijuana crimes relative to the massive number of users will become increasingly poor and dark-skinned. That will raise the ire of civil rights groups.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream