are you agree ? what exactly justice means?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Londoner

Re: are you agree ? what exactly justice means?

Post by Londoner » April 27th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Eduk wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 7:05 am
I was using the word intolerance normatively. You seem to have a special definition that I can't follow Londoner.
If you Google 'intolerance' or 'tolerance', the first definition gives the sense in which I am using the word.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » April 27th, 2018, 12:36 pm

unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one's own ?

that was not invented by democracy, western or otherwise.

Londoner

Post by Londoner » April 28th, 2018, 4:46 am

Since the topic is 'justice' I assumed we were discussing an attitude of tolerance within societies rather than between individuals.

I think tolerance only becomes an issue when particular kinds of society arise. For example, there is no need to be tolerant of difference if groups can simply avoid one another. Nor does the question of tolerance arise unless you think you have rights. If you and I are slaves, our personal 'tolerance' does not matter because we do not get to decide how we treat each other.

But if you have democracy, then the laws are expected to express the values of the majority and also to apply to everyone. At which point you have to decide how far the majority has the right to impose its values on minorities, or whether it should tolerate difference.