Getting started with political philosophy

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Fooloso4

Re: Getting started with political philosophy

Post by Fooloso4 »

Just a quick note on translations. It can make a significant difference. I think Alan Bloom's is superior and is available as a free PDF photocopied from the book. I find that if I enlarge the page it is comfortable to read. But like you I prefer books.

http://www.inp.uw.edu.pl/mdsie/Politica ... public.pdf
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Fooloso4 wrote: September 7th, 2018, 11:50 am Just a quick note on translations. It can make a significant difference. I think Alan Bloom's is superior and is available as a free PDF photocopied from the book. I find that if I enlarge the page it is comfortable to read. But like you I prefer books.

http://www.inp.uw.edu.pl/mdsie/Politica ... public.pdf
Thanks.

I had been wondering what others might have read and also what might be considered the 'best' translation. Everyone has an opinion.
I have downloaded this and, after a quick comparison, it does seem that Bloom's is superior.

[ Do you think this is what Smith is using ? ]
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Do you think this is what Smith is using ?
Yes. I just searched for support for this claim and found that Amazon has the course in book form. If you look at the list of texts for the course it has the Bloom translation of the Republic as well as the West translation of the Apology and Crito I mentioned in an earlier post.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Having almost completed Book 1 of the Republic, I felt the need to get my head out of it and look around for more background.
To be able to place it within the whole, if you like. What is actually happening here ? What is the aim of all this argumentation between different groups ?

I found this: Plato, the Republic 1-4.

Plato: the State and the Soul

http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/2g.htm

'...Because it covers so many issues, The Republic can be read in several different ways: as a treatise on political theory and practice, as a pedagogical handbook, or as a defence of ethical conduct, for example. Although we'll take notice of each of these features along the way, our primary focus in what follows will be on the basic metaphysical and epistemological issues, foundational questions about who we are, what is real, and about how we know it. Read in this fashion, the dialogue as a whole invites us to share in Plato's vision of our place within the ultimate structure of reality.'

So, foundational questions about who we are...but what has justice got to do with it ? Talking to myself now... Aren't there other virtues to be given equal consideration. Of course there are. Is justice only taken as a specific example? Yes, but there is more to it than that...it is central to harmonization.

'...When each of these classes performs its own role appropriately and does not try to take over the function of any other class, Plato held, the entire city as a whole will operate smoothly, exhibiting the harmony that is genuine justice. (Republic 433e)'

If I read all the Republic as having the goal of Education, then it is in the practice of reading, being challenged and observing the players act out critical thinking - that might bring some 'betterment'. The character Socrates plays the part of teacher at all levels.

The Republic - now available to all - not only the high echeloned guardians of Plato's ideal city.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Fooloso4 wrote: September 7th, 2018, 1:40 pm
Do you think this is what Smith is using ?
Yes. I just searched for support for this claim and found that Amazon has the course in book form. If you look at the list of texts for the course it has the Bloom translation of the Republic as well as the West translation of the Apology and Crito I mentioned in an earlier post.
I knew about the lectures in book form, however I can't find the list of texts. The Amazon book will not open for me. It is unfortunate that each online lecture doesn't reference Smith's sources which are far superior to the linked freebie.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Georgeanna wrote: September 7th, 2018, 12:54 pmI had been wondering what others might have read and also what might be considered the 'best' translation. Everyone has an opinion.
See: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plat ... itics/#Bib
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

There is one person in here, I don’t know who it is, and you will not know who it is yet, but there is one person in here for whom the reading of Plato’s Republic will be the most important intellectual experience you have at Yale. (4.1)
That was me, except I was not at Yale.
The second half of the book turns in somewhat different, certainly equally important directions (1)
I don’t know if the following is helpful at this point, but since many today reject Plato’s Forms outright and in line with the theme of education I think it may be appropriate.

Given the constraints of an introductory course those turns cannot be adequately addressed, but in case Smith does not address it, it is likely that he is aware of the incompatibility between the paradigmatic philosopher Socrates, whose wisdom was knowledge of his ignorance and the image of the philosopher-king who has ascended from the cave and has attained knowledge of the whole.

The difference is made clear in the following passages:
"Well, then, my dear Glaucon, " I said, "this image as a whole must be connected with what was said before. Liken the domain revealed through sight to the prison home, and the light of the fire in it to the sun's power; and, in applying the going up and the seeing of what's above to the soul's journey up to the intelligible place, you'll not mistake my expectation, since you desire to hear it. A god doubtless
knows if it happens to be true. At all events, this is the way the phenomena look to me … (517b)

“... So tell what the character of the power of dialectic is, and, then, into exactly what forms it is divided; and finally what are its ways. For these, as it seems, would lead at last toward that place which is for the one who reaches it a haven from the road, as it were, and an end of his journey."
"You will no longer be able to follow, my dear Glaucon," I said, "although there wouldn't be any lack of eagerness on my part. But you would no longer be seeing an image of what we are saying, but rather the truth itself, at least as it looks to me. Whether it is really so or not can no longer be properly insisted on. But that there is some such thing to see must be insisted on. Isn't it so?" (532d-533a)
Why must it be insisted on? In part I think the answer has to do with Plato’s philosophical poetry, the image of truth is inspiring, leading one to an ascent to knowledge that breaks the chains of opinion. This is not to say that one no longer opines but knows, but rather he known that opinion is not knowledge. A liberal that is liberating education

Smith:

As one of the great readers of Plato of the last century once said, “Only the surface of things reveals the essence of things.”
This was Leo Strauss. I do not know if Smith studied directly with Strauss but he certainly studied Strauss, having published a book on him and edited another. I mentioned Alan Bloom’s translation of the Republic, Strauss was his teacher. It is no exaggeration to say that Strauss taught a generation how to read philosophy. The exact quote is:
The problem inherent in the surface of things, and only in the surface of things, is the heart of things (Thoughts on Machiavelli)
Smith:
The Republic is also a utopia .... (1.2)
This should not be taken to mean a plan for an actual city.

Down to the Piraeus (3)
Smith notes the theme of descending and ascending. The most famous ascent in the Republic is the ascent from the cave, the philosopher’s ascent. The philosopher, however, much be compelled by reason to descend back into the cave in order to rule after being compelled by force to ascend from the cave . Socrates descends to the Piraeus in order to pray to the goddess. An obvious reversal of the traditional status of the gods above. In the beginning of the dialogue Socrates is compelled by threat of force if necessary to meet with the old man Cephalus who is concerned with the fate of his soul. The discussion of the soul turns to the discussion of the polis, the “soul writ large”. Is the talk of the soul and the city too a kind of descent? What I am suggesting is that Socrates’ speech will not be an ascent to the truth but measured in accord with what he thinks will be most beneficial to them. One of the definitions of justice that is put forth in the dialogue is that justice is what benefits one’s friends.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Consul wrote: September 8th, 2018, 9:04 am
Georgeanna wrote: September 7th, 2018, 12:54 pmI had been wondering what others might have read and also what might be considered the 'best' translation. Everyone has an opinion.
See: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plat ... itics/#Bib
Thanks for posting this substantial article by Eric Brown who supplies an extensive Reference List of works cited - along with a Big Bibliography and Guide to Reading. So many books, so little time. Brown also generously acknowledges specific and general contributions - interestingly Alan Bloom is amongst those he studied the Republic with at college.

I have only managed to skim through this. However, I did find this summary helpful:

'...Socrates expresses several central political theses in the Republic that appear in other Platonic dialogues, as well, especially in the Gorgias, Statesman, and Laws. First, the best rulers are wise. Second, the best rulers rule for the benefit of the ruled, and not for their own sake. Third, a city is highly unlikely to have the best rulers, in part because there is a gulf between the values of most people and the values of the wise. Fourth, the greatest harm to a city is disagreement about who should rule, since competing factions create civil strife. So, fifth, a central goal of politics is harmony or agreement among the citizens about who should rule. Last, harmony requires that the city cultivate virtue and the rule of law. The consistency of these messages across several Platonic dialogues might well make us so bold as to think that they are the take-home message of the Republic’s politics.'
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Reply to Fooloso4

Well, Smith knows how to prick up the ears of his student audience, doesn’t he?
One person, out of how many ?
I think this exceptional ‘most important intellectual experience’ he mentions must be of a life-changing type - but not by achieving high grades necessarily. Rather a provocation or an answering of an existential question or angst - who am I and what kind of a life do I want to lead ?
Is that what happened to you ? And do you think you were alone?

I think it would helpful, as you suggest, to look at the second half of the Republic - and more besides. Given the theme of education and the constraints of this course, I would be more than happy for a longer, deeper discussion of Plato - perhaps someone has already started a thread along these lines.

What I have picked up on so far in my reading is that even in all the argumentation and apparent conclusions, there is still no real knowledge of what justice is. It is opinion only.
However, we all know it when we see it, don’t we ? The glib politician who spouts forth ' It is right that...' and then enacts laws which result in gross injustices.
It is the kind of knowledge that is important. And what is done with it.
I am disappointed with Smith and his use of quotes - without reference and out of context. Thanks for tracking exact quote down.

I will have to go down to the Piraeus later...
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

A quick write-up of quick notes on the remainder of Lecture 4 - simply to keep up momentum. I am being pulled away by the Dialogues themselves, more thoughts to follow. I trust any misreading will be pointed out.

Chapter 4 : The Seventh Letter
It is an intellectual autobiography by Plato, which outlines his motivation for writing the Republic. The action in the Republic takes place well before the Tyranny of the Thirty which replaced Athens democratic constitution. Plato had been invited to join the Thirty, some of whom were his relatives. However, he acted as an observer - eventually concluding that all states were badly governed. He turned to philosophy as a way to discern justice; spoke of the importance of trust in any just administration of political affairs. The Republic's utopia, then, seems to be a response to political disillusionment.

Chapter 5: Analysing the Beginnings of 'Republic' and the Hierarchy of Characters

You know what...I'm tired. I don't need to do this. I've already read Book 1, carefully and closely and read a commentary - I can't be bothered with transposing stuff to the thread. Not just for the sake of it.

I think I'm at the point of giving up...where's Socrates when you need him...
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

An essential part of Smith's class is the discussion groups. While I am sure the lectures come up in discussion, it is the texts that are the focus.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Fooloso4 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:02 am An essential part of Smith's class is the discussion groups. While I am sure the lectures come up in discussion, it is the texts that are the focus.
Understood. I have taken notes on Book 1 and there are more than a few question marks and exclamation marks.
I felt the need for an immediate, live sharing of my thoughts at the point of revelation or puzzlement.

It's difficult to keep the sense of excitement alive...
Especially when tired.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Why not rest up then post your reactions to what you read?
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Fooloso4 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:56 am Why not rest up then post your reactions to what you read?
I am resting even as I speak.
Can you remember your initial reactions to Book 1 ?
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Anyone ?

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream