Does Society Need Prisons?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Blake 789

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Blake 789 »

So if someone was to say rape your mom/daughter you would be happy for them to just receive psychiatric treatment?
Opinionator

Post by Opinionator »

We need serious reform. Only violent offenders should be imprisoned. Why are we turning non-violent offenders into potentially violent offenders by locking them up with those who are violent? In addition, why are we taking many who could be productive members of society and making them dependents? Going along with this is that fact that we criminalize many activities that are essentially victimless crimes. Besides the injustice of what we are doing, we just can't afford it either.
MikeyDee
New Trial Member

Post by MikeyDee »

Hi Scott.

Yes, I do think society needs prisons. I would agree that non-violent non-victimizers shouldn't go to jail, and the mentally ill should be treated instead. As for incidental criminals, I guess a lenient and compassionate judge will do, but there are criminals out there who do belong behind bars. I'm certainly no judge of what goes on in other people's heads, but psychopaths and gang bangers and people who simply enjoy hurting others need to be locked up. I do think that education and equality and philanthropic efforts can over time reduce crime but as it is some people just don't belong on the streets.

Not sure if this is true, but as I understand it prisons were invented as "correctional facilities" by the Quakers, to help people instead of punishing them as in execution or dungeons. Prisons today of course are a far cry from that, and solitary confinement, for example, I consider torture, never mind the violence among the prisoners themselves. But I would rather look at prison reform than prison removal.

Peace.
Jax Agnesson

Post by Jax Agnesson »

Blake 789 wrote:So if someone was to say rape your mom/daughter you would be happy for them to just receive psychiatric treatment?
Do you think they law should be based on whatever would make you feel happy/unhappy? Or should it be directed at enabling the society as a whole to develop its concepts of acceptable behaviour?
Anthony Edgar
Favorite Philosopher: Paula Haigh

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Don't imprison drug dealers and incorrigible drug users - execute them instead. What the world needs is more heroes like President Rodrigo Duterte of the Phillipines.

Incidentally, Karl Marx believed that if his ideas were adopted, there would be no need for police, prisons or even governments. An idiotic dreamer, par excellence.
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

I say of all criminals: kill them all and let God decide. If they're innocent they'll go to heaven. It's win-win.
Anthony Edgar

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Dolphin42 wrote:I say of all criminals: kill them all and let God decide. If they're innocent they'll go to heaven. It's win-win.
You are undeniably a genius.
But unfortunately it's not an original idea - I remember an IRA terrorist who had this tattoo: "Kill 'em all! Let God sort them out."
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

But unfortunately it's not an original idea
Indeed. And it isn't just Christian terrorists who have had this idea. Daesh had the idea too. And also Marge Simpson, in fact.

There is nothing new under the sun (including the expression "There is nothing new under the sun").
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

It is a bit comical to listen to folks comment on what should happen to lawbreakers, as if there were people who don't break laws.
"As usual... it depends."
Anthony Edgar

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Dolphin42 wrote:
But unfortunately it's not an original idea
Indeed. And it isn't just Christian terrorists who have had this idea. Daesh had the idea too. And also Marge Simpson, in fact.

There is nothing new under the sun (including the expression "There is nothing new under the sun").
The suckers that make up Daesh were made an offer that few feeble-minded men could refuse: Kill 'em all and you'll get 72 virgins - plus a set of steak knifes.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

I thought you'd remind me that the expression "there is nothing new under the sun" is Biblical.

Anyway, at my time of life, I'll take the steak knives.
Anthony Edgar

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Dolphin42 wrote:I thought you'd remind me that the expression "there is nothing new under the sun" is Biblical.

No need ... everyone knows it's one of King Solomon's.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Anthony Edgar wrote: Incidentally, Karl Marx believed that if his ideas were adopted, there would be no need for police, prisons or even governments. An idiotic dreamer, par excellence.
First time I hear Karl Marx was a Libertarian. (-;
Ignorance is power.
Reddit
New Trial Member

Post by Reddit »

A society without deterrents would be awful. I believe a huge chunk of what we call "human decency" is just the fear of punishment, so to give up prisons is to give up a lot of behaviour
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

This is one of those things (like many others) that put an extreme separation between other humans and me in my mind and make me feel very alone. An a little mad.

0.Better not talking about how laws are there, better not talking about lawyers and their... duty to lie? about all that anoying books etc.

1. Society don't exist, we don't think the same. Laws, votes, etc, are something that I don't recognize as logical, if everybody think that something is fair, and I don't, then I must keep fighting for what I believe. Specially if we are dealing with things like... the life of a person. Of course, not with a paper.

2.Of course, people are not equal, and of course, they don't deserve the same punishment for the same action. The context and what they've shown in all their life is nearly all.

3.As a punishment (something needed) put a human in a jail is extremely ridiculous. Specially if you consider that puting a "bad psichology person" with all "society crap" in a place with nothing to do, and without freedom, is going to make him a better person. And, for my taste, it's more cruel than cuting a hand and other things like that (Or, if we consider prison for life, death would be mercy).

4.As a way to put someone out of your way, it's... absurd. That person needs to eat jails need to be built and protected... it's a lot of resources.

etc. It's so evident for me that I don't know what to say.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream