Anarchism

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Dewey
Premium Member

Post by Dewey »

whitetrshsoldier wrote:REALLY GUYS???
Anarchism [Def]: Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose

I think virtually all of us, anarchists and non-anarchists alike, can agree this definition of anarchism is inadequate.. But we probably can’t agree about much more in this entire thread!

It’s not our fault. We have tried hard and have come up with a lot of good thoughts about different subjects. Please note I say “different subjects”. What I mean is that each of us has talked about anarchism as each of us defines it, and no two of us seem to define it the same way We are vainly trying to deal with a bunch of subjects that has a generic name but no definitive meaning. Our individual definitions are different, so our conclusions are incomparable.

Hey, you anarchists! Decide what you really want. This here anarchism kinda sounds like it might be worth considering. Let us know just what the heck it is.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

whitetrshsoldier wrote:REALLY GUYS???
Anarchism [Def]: Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose
You can't use anarchy as a guiding principle in life if its philosophy is to not adhere to a principle.

It's really, very simple.

Oh, and what the last poster is talking about, I think, sounds more like Libertarianism.
That's not what anarchy means. Maybe the dictionary says so, but true anarchy is simply the freedom to do what you feel is best to be done. Anarchists hold to many principles and codes, and still follow a strict set of personal guidelines and morals. Anarchy is the absence of law, a constitution, a capital, bureaucracy, etc. Not a lack of order. By nature, animals are orderly creatures and if we woke up tomorrow and the government just quit, then we would still have our own order that we would establish within ourselves.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Anarchists hold to many principles and codes, and still follow a strict set of personal guidelines and morals.
Within a system of anarchy who sets the guide lines and morals for the child?
Dewey
Premium Member

Post by Dewey »

Belinda wrote:
Anarchists hold to many principles and codes, and still follow a strict set of personal guidelines and morals.

Allow me to extend Belinda's question and ask who sets the guide lines and morals for the child and the (all-too-common) child-like adult?
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

Belinda wrote:
Parents set the guidelines for their children in every society. No matter what form of government is instated, the parents are the parents. It has been that way forever and will (hopefully) be that way no matter what form of government exists...or doesn't.

It would be the same in an anarchical society.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Parents set the guidelines for their children in every society. No matter what form of government is instated, the parents are the parents. It has been that way forever and will (hopefully) be that way no matter what form of government exists...or doesn't.
Who sets the morals and guidelines for parents?Are all parents moral parents?
Martin Ekdahl

Post by Martin Ekdahl »

Belinda wrote:
Well.. Joseph Fritzl is a perfect example that not all parents are moral.
"The meaning with life must be to do something meaningful with your life".
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

Belinda wrote:
Does any other form of government ensure that parents are moral? The parents get their morals from their parents, and so on. No form of government could prevent bad parents from happening, or could protect children from bad influences.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Post by whitetrshsoldier »

Anarchists hold to many principles and codes, and still follow a strict set of personal guidelines and morals. Anarchy is the absence of law, a constitution, a capital, bureaucracy, etc. Not a lack of order. By nature, animals are orderly creatures and if we woke up tomorrow and the government just quit, then we would still have our own order that we would establish within ourselves.
What principles and codes? What personal guidelines? The true purpose of government is to protect the right to freedom. You argue that anarchy would be freedom, but freedom to do what?

If there were no law, people would be free to strip others of their freedoms (kill, rape, pillage, steal, etc.), which is the reason governments were created in the first place.

FOR ANARCHY TO WORK, PEOPLE MUST AGREE TO CERTAIN PRINCIPLES AND CODES. PRINCIPLES AND CODES ARE COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS LAWS. LAWS ARE CREATED BY GENERAL CONSENSOUS (WHICH WE ALSO REFER TO AS THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS).

If you don't have a collection of individuals agreeing on principles that prohibit the infringement of basic rights (ie. life, liberty, and property) then the "natural order" you speak of will revert to evolutionary principles of dominance.

You said that animals have a natural order, and you're right. It revolves around survival. Survival is a product of competition. In nature, competition almost always creates A dominant figure/faction. Dominance is a form of leadership. When left to its own ends, nature will establish a leader.

Anarchy cannot exist.

You may define it any way you would like, but if you have principles, somebody must establish and protect them. Since they cannot be commonplace, only the individual can protect them. Assuming there is ONE member of a population who's principles are to not regard another's principles as valid, one will eventually dominate/destroy another.

If you define anarchy as having no "common principles", an anarchist society would never be able to agree to establish itself.

Please tell me what point I'm missing, because this seems extremely simple to me.
Last edited by whitetrshsoldier on March 17th, 2009, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Ekdahl

Post by Martin Ekdahl »

whitetrshsoldier wrote:
Anarchists hold to many principles and codes, and still follow a strict set of personal guidelines and morals. Anarchy is the absence of law, a constitution, a capital, bureaucracy, etc. Not a lack of order. By nature, animals are orderly creatures and if we woke up tomorrow and the government just quit, then we would still have our own order that we would establish within ourselves.
What principles and codes? What personal guidelines? The true purpose of government is to protect the right to freedom. You argue that anarchy would be freedom, but freedom to do what?

If there were no law, people would be free to strip others of their freedoms (kill, rape, pillage, steal, etc.), which is the reason governments were created in the first place.

FOR ANARCHY TO WORK, PEOPLE MUST AGREE TO CERTAIN PRINCIPLES AND CODES. PRINCIPLES AND CODES ARE COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS LAWS. LAWS ARE CREATED BY GENERAL CONSENSOUS (WHICH WE ALSO REFER TO AS THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS).

If you don't have a collection of individuals agreeing on principles that prohibit the infringement of basic rights (ie. life, liberty, and property) then the "natural order" you speak of will revert to evolutionary principles of dominance.

You said that animals have a natural order, and you're right. It revolves around survival. Survival is a product of competition. In nature, competition almost always creates A dominant figure/faction. Dominance is a form of leadership. When left to its own ends, nature will establish a leader.

Anarchy cannot exist.

You may define it any way you would like, but if you have principles, somebody must establish and protect them. Since they cannot be commonplace, only the individual can protect them. Assuming there is ONE member of a population who's principles are to not regard another's principles as valid, one will eventually dominant/destroy another.

If you define anarchy as having no "common principles", an anarchist society would never be able to agree to establish itself.

Please tell me what point I'm missing, because this seems extremely simple to me.
Well, You might have a point there. I think the main problem with the vision of anarchy is the word "Power". Many anarchists have a great problem with this. Power is something evil for, a ivory tower that must be destroyed. But the power is also something else. It is central in our behavior. People seeks power. People need power. If you don't have power, then someone else will take power over you. How can you be free of oppression if you don't have power over your own situation? When does your power become oppressive? Who will stop you from extending your personal power to rule over others?
"The meaning with life must be to do something meaningful with your life".
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

PREFACE:

I've been told by several people in two different posts that I am mis-defining anarchism. Vlad, a registered user, provided the following two definitions to the group in defense of anarchy, so I addressed them both. You can find the original post under Ethics and Morality -> Consent and Capitalism.

1. "Absence of government; a state of lawlessness due to the absence or inefficiency of the supreme power; political disorder."

The absence of government, and a state of lawlessness could only occur if everybody AGREED to be anarchist. Collective agreement is also known as democracy. Can't have democracy and anarchy at the same time, can we?

2. "A social state in which there is no governing person or group of persons, but each individual has absolute liberty (without the implication of disorder)."

If I have absolute liberty, then I'm free to kill you, and dispose of your inadequate philosophy. I like how the definition notes [without the implication of disorder]. If there is no disorder, there is order. How is the order established? By nature? If nature dictates it, it's not "absolute liberty".

Anarchism is self-defeating in principle
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

If I have absolute liberty, then I'm free to kill you, and dispose of your inadequate philosophy. I like how the definition notes [without the implication of disorder]. If there is no disorder, there is order. How is the order established? By nature? If nature dictates it, it's not "absolute liberty".
When morality is codified it becomes an ethical and then a legal system. A legal system is enforced by governmental or religious sanctions against law breakers.

The reason for codifying morality is to bind individuals in a tribe or nation together so that the tribe or nation is stronger because it is composed of cooperating individuals.Any tribe or nation that is composed of non-cooperating individuals will fail in intertribal or international competition. This is sufficient reason to show that anarchy won't work.

Utopia would be anarchic because every individual would obey the Golden Rule, and be reared in such a way as to as to feel empathy for every other individual. We are not yet in a state of Utopia.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Utopia would be anarchic because every individual would obey the Golden Rule, and be reared in such a way as to as to feel empathy for every other individual. We are not yet in a state of Utopia.
Belinda:

How, in an Anarchic society (even if it is Utopia), did WE AGREE TO OBEY THE GOLDEN RULE!!!! I'm honestly reaching my wit's end on this one.

ANARCHY EXCLUDES MUTUAL AGREEMENT ON ANY PHILOSOPHY, AND ON ANY SET OF PRINCIPLES! END OF STORY!
Dewey
Premium Member

Anarchism

Post by Dewey »

[quote=ANARCHY EXCLUDES MUTUAL AGREEMENT ON ANY PHILOSOPHY, AND ON ANY SET OF PRINCIPLES! END OF STORY![/quote]

Unintentionally perhaps, you seem to have also replied to a previous post of mine about all the different definitions given to anarchy. Your explanation is anarchists don’t mutually agree on any philosophy or set of principles.. So that’s it!

Seriously, however, don’t you think that the anarchist holds forth a principle when he says he's willing to depend on the inate morality of a people free to do anything they individually wish to do?
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

soldier, I must have been assuming that anarchy is lack of codified laws, but rests on morality which may be based on traditional precepts, philosophical precepts, or natural human social sense.

Dewey has cleared it up for me with his comment on what you wrote.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream