Same Sex Marriage

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

Same Sex Marriage Should Be...

Legal
85%
Illegal
15%

Total votes: 124

Cha0t1c1

Post by Cha0t1c1 »

Wonder wrote:I have something to say about guardianship of gay couples.

Anybody who delivers a little child's soul to the hands of gay people to be raised is a criminal and should be treated that way by others and by God of course.

If democracy thinks it can overcome this by vote, and loose the blame, then Democracy will be abolished of the face of the earth.
England, where these things start to take effect, and Holland also, will be the first to go with the imminent earth's magnetic poles shift.
Any human society in its right mind should never allow these things to take place.
Hopefully Americans are not stupid enough to do this in the name of openmindness.
presenting a smart argument is required, you lack such thing.

Prove its troubles then start yelling, because imagine if your brother or your sister were homosexuals, will you deny them happiness just because God said they're blasphemers, even God is merciful.
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

Cha0t1c1 wrote: presenting a smart argument is required, you lack such thing.

Prove its troubles then start yelling, because imagine if your brother or your sister were homosexuals, will you deny them happiness just because God said they're blasphemers, even God is merciful.
I presented my argument in the previous post saying that morality supercedes mortal life and it must be incorporated into LAW, human law that is.
In the event that this doesn't happen it will be the end of us all, and not only the homosexuals.

I don't want to be Lot's wife (and be turned to salt) is what I am saying but maybe it seems cruel to you, i am sorry.
Nevertheless you understand I am not going to play my head heads or tails.
The pursuit of hapiness is an American thing.
i am not American, I am Greek, so I don't really believe in this "moto" certainly not philosophically speaking.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Post by whitetrshsoldier »

Wonder wrote:
Cha0t1c1 wrote: presenting a smart argument is required, you lack such thing.

I presented my argument in the previous post saying that morality supercedes mortal life and it must be incorporated into LAW, human law that is.
In the event that this doesn't happen it will be the end of us all, and not only the homosexuals.

I don't want to be Lot's wife (and be turned to salt) is what I am saying but maybe it seems cruel to you, i am sorry.
And I don't quite think that I want some grown man who still believes in the bed-time fairy-tales that he was read as a child to be making rules dictating how I live my life.

Just my opinion, though, I guess ... I just can't seem to recall any "walls of fire" coming down and swallowing any gay people that I know of ....
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
Jackowens

Post by Jackowens »

Dear whitetrshsoldier,

In reply to your post of 5/20/10 (#28):
"I'm simply stating that a State-sanctioned recognition of the private and personal relationship between two individuals need not exist."

And I'm trying to make a distinction between a) the politicians, bureaucrats and the judiciary, on the one hand, and b) the voters/community on the other, a distinction you seem to be intentionally trying to either blur or erase.

Before we can continue I need to know whether you're willing to admit that it is possible for the politicians, bureaucrats and judiciary, as a quasi-oligarchy, to have purposes and goals that are in opposition to those of the citizenry/voters. If you are, we can then talk about marriage as being the cultural institution that it is, embodying fundamental, shared community values, the state aside.

Can we get together?

Regards,

Jack
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Jackowens wrote:
whitetrshsoldier wrote:"WHY does the State feel that it may sanction a non-business [commerce] relationship between two private entities?"
First of all, if you're talking about two private entities, in contrast to two members of a community sharing common values, those entities can arrange their private marriage. As I understand it that occurs all the time.

The state that you mention can be more specifically denoted by apeaking of the politicians, bureaucrats and judiciary involved in this controversy.

What is really at issue here --and correct me if I'm wrong-- is whether those politicians and bureaucrats and that judiciary are going to take the matter out of the hands of the voting citizenry and, in effect, force that citizenry to approve of a sexual perversion as a basis for the cultural institution of marriage by fiat.

Any flaws in that?

Regards,

Jack
Jack,

I'll re-state my original point, to be more direct.

You may be correct in saying that politicians/beuracrats/etc. have a goal in directing public morality.

Regardless, I say they have NO AUTHORITY to determine the "legal" status of an intimate and personal relationship.

Homosexuality isn't contagious. Most of the damn world is filled with fantasy, religion, and liberalism, but not everybody comes out brainwashed. Nobody "dictates" social morality, other than the basic principle of the sanctity of personal liberties of each man to do as he wish without violating another ...
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
Jackowens

Post by Jackowens »

Dear whitetrshsoldier,

In reply to your post of 5/21/10 (#36):
"Regardless, I say they have NO AUTHORITY to determine the 'legal' status of an intimate and personal relationship."

Who does? Anyone?
"Nobody 'dictates' social morality, other than the basic principle of the sanctity of personal liberties of each man to do as he wish without violating another ..."

But as I pointed out, in the case of marriage, if what you say simply means going through a ceremony and winding up with some sort of certificate, anyone can do it; but if the procedure doesn't meet certain conditions stemming from community values, the community has a right to reject it as forming a part of the cultural institution. For instance, the woman who married a dolphin, http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 23,00.html. If she wants to consider herself married, I suppose that she has that right, but she does not have the right to community approval.

On the other hand, and if I take you at your word, you approve of that marriage. Her marriage doesn't harm your or my marriage. Right?

Regards,

Jack
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

I don't see how a dolphin could possibly agree to a marriage. It can't, therefore, be considered a useful analogy. You are talking about something that is irrelevant to the topic.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Jackowens wrote:Dear whitetrshsoldier,

In reply to your post of 5/21/10 (#36):
"Regardless, I say they have NO AUTHORITY to determine the 'legal' status of an intimate and personal relationship."

Who does? Anyone?
"Nobody 'dictates' social morality, other than the basic principle of the sanctity of personal liberties of each man to do as he wish without violating another ..."

But as I pointed out, in the case of marriage, if what you say simply means going through a ceremony and winding up with some sort of certificate, anyone can do it; but if the procedure doesn't meet certain conditions stemming from community values, the community has a right to reject it as forming a part of the cultural institution. For instance, the woman who married a dolphin, http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 23,00.html. If she wants to consider herself married, I suppose that she has that right, but she does not have the right to community approval.

On the other hand, and if I take you at your word, you approve of that marriage. Her marriage doesn't harm your or my marriage. Right?

Regards,

Jack
Jack,

Who cares if the "community" accepts anything?

A personal, in the confines of his own home, may do whatever he pleases.

So yeah, let the crazy lady do what she wants. Why should I care, and why should you? Who are you to dictate how she lives her life?

If she derives no legal benefit from the arrangement, what's the problem?
Jackowens

Post by Jackowens »

Dear pjkeeley,

In reply to your post of 5/22/10 (#38):
"I don't see how a dolphin could possibly agree to a marriage."

I don't either, but our objection in that regard is based on our values as to what the necessary conditions for a valid marriage are. To the woman involved, the agreement of the dolphin is not a necessary condition, and our objection is an attempt to override her value with ours.

Your objection is similar to my saying that, knowing the nature of Homo sapiens' reproductive system, I don't see how two members of the same sex can possibly mate; therefore they are unsuitable for marriage.
"You are talking about something that is irrelevant to the topic."

With the above explanation, I don't believe so. I mean what is my error? Are you claiming that I'm involved in a contradiction or fallacy (named and application explained)?

(By the way, I'm still waiting for an answer to my post #62 on the "Homosexual lifestyle immoral" thread.)

To whitetrshsoldier,

In reply to your post of 5/22/10 (#39):
"Who cares if the 'community' accepts anything?"

That's a strange question.

I mean, what do you think the goal of the Gay Liberation movement, with talk about rights, was about prior to (and after, for that matter) the vote on Proposition 8?
"A personal, in the confines of his own home, may do whatever he pleases."

Am I supposed to be in disagreement with that?
"Who are you to dictate how she lives her life?"

I'm not trying to dictate how she lives her life. If she considers herself married to the dolphin that's her affair. What I object to is being required, as an ethical imperative, to approve (Proposition 8) of a marriage based on a sexual perversion. Maybe we should get into the business of sexual perversions: do you believe that there are such things?

If the woman in question finds her marriage a part of the good life and a contribution to her happiness, do you have any reason to withhold your approval of her marriage?

Regards,

Jack
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Jack Owens wrote:What I object to is being required, as an ethical imperative, to approve...
Again, you are not being required to approve of gay marriage anymore than a racist is required to approve of interracial marriage. As I tried to explain to you earlier, you are falsely equating general approval with legalization. There are many examples of things of which many people disapprove or many people think is immoral or perverse and have often been legally prohibited that a person can support legalizing while still disapproving of the activity or thinking it is perverse or immoral; consider gambling prohibition, prostituition prohibition, immigration prohibition, alcohol prohibition, marijuana prohibition, and low wage prohibition. Consider the quote often attributed to Voltaire (but that was really coined by Evelyn Beatrice Hall as a summary of Voltaire's general philosophy on the matter), "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." This is yet another common example of the way in which people can disapprove of an activity while still not wanting to criminalize that activity.

Jack Owens, what would you say to a racist who says that legalizing interracial marriage infringes on his right to disapprove of interracial marriage? What if the racist, believing interracial marriage is a sexual perversion, said, "What I object to is being required, as an ethical imperative, to approve of a marriage based on a sexual perversion."

If your argument is merely against the use of the term marriage to refer to a non-religious economic contract on the grounds that the term marriage has religious/moral/ethical implications and thus would be a religious/moral/ethical declaration by the government that may contradict your or someone else's religious beliefs or moral philosophy, then I would agree. I would support a law that changes the terminology from marriage to a more secular term such as civil union regardless of the gender, race, age, eye color, etc. of the people entering the voluntary legal contract. I think this would have the benefit of clearing up the common confusion between religious/ceremonial marriage and civil/contractual marriage.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

Jackowens wrote:I don't either, but our objection in that regard is based on our values as to what the necessary conditions for a valid marriage are.

Your objection is similar to my saying that, knowing the nature of Homo sapiens' reproductive system, I don't see how two members of the same sex can possibly mate; therefore they are unsuitable for marriage.
There's a difference between values which are reasonable and those which are arbitrary. It is reasonable, surely you agree, to expect that a marriage need necessarily be consensual? Would you want someone to be able to marry you against your will? Would you want to wake up married to an opportunistic stranger? Of course not. It simply doesn't fit the social contract upon which we model our society. On the other hand, the ability to reproduce is not a reasonable requirement of marriage because there is no obvious reason why this requirement is necessary, and there is no expectation or requirement to reproduce if married. This is why it is legal, and perfectly acceptable in our society, for infertile couples to marry. Or for a gay man to marry a straight woman. Of for married couples to use contraception. A couple might marry and decide never to have children, and it is simply none of our business.

You are (insensitively, in my opinion) confounding the issue when you raise absurdities such as people marrying animals. The obvious reason why we do not allow it is because animals cannot consent to sex or any other mutual undertaking such as marriage. That some people think they should be able to marry animals regardless is beside the point. They are advancing an unreasonable opinion. By insisting that the ability to reproduce be a necessary requirement of marriage, you too are advancing an unreasonable opinion, because there is no reason why this should be the case. It certainly isn't the case as the law stands, because, as I said, married couples do not and cannot always reproduce. If it's none of our business whether infertile couples marry, how is it any of our business if gay couples marry?

I simply can't see why it bothers you that gay people should marry. Regardless, I think history will leave you far behind. In a few decades those who stood in the way of gay marriage will be rightfully regarded as having been as unreasonable as those who stood in the way of women's rights decades ago.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Jackowens wrote:
To whitetrshsoldier,

In reply to your post of 5/22/10 (#39):
"Who cares if the 'community' accepts anything?"

That's a strange question.

I mean, what do you think the goal of the Gay Liberation movement, with talk about rights, was about prior to (and after, for that matter) the vote on Proposition 8?
Jack,

To echo Scott's sentiments, the goal of that movement was for LEGAL rights that heterosexual married couples enjoy. That's it. I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but I've got a feeling that many people in this world don't care what others [including you and I] think of them, their preferences, or their choices.

Since this is really the root of the issue, I am arguing that we abolish the legal concept of "marriage". You can have a "partnership", just as any financial entity does, but that's all. If you want your little ceremony, go have it. But I don't care what the nature of your relationship is beyond the economic type of entity that the State must see you as.
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

Why should "legal rights" be granted to gay couples?
They can't produce offspring so who is going to inherit them?.........they are planning to adopt children, its obvious.
One thing brings the other, and one liberty brings the next, and absolute freedom means absolute sin also.

It's degeneration of human existence in its most blatant and appalling manifestation to allow homosexuals to adopt little children!!

In my opinion AIDS was just a warning from above about these things.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Wonder wrote:Why should "legal rights" be granted to gay couples?
They can't produce offspring so who is going to inherit them?.........they are planning to adopt children, its obvious.
One thing brings the other, and one liberty brings the next, and absolute freedom means absolute sin also.

It's degeneration of human existence in its most blatant and appalling manifestation to allow homosexuals to adopt little children!!

In my opinion AIDS was just a warning from above about these things.
I do agree that parental rights should not be granted to Homosexual couples; if they cannot procreate BY NATURE'S LAW, then how would it follow that they are necessarily supposed to have children?

If they want a kid, they should suck their gayness up for a night and just sleep with a surrogate mother ....

As for the other legal rights, no real benefits [aside from financial ties] SHOULD be granted a couple solely because they considered themselves married, in my opinion, so I don't see a conflict with abolishing the "legal" concept of marriage as a whole.
Jackowens

Post by Jackowens »

Dear Scott,

In reply to your post #65 on the "Homosexual lifestyle immoral" thread wherein you say that you replied, on the "Same Sex Marriage", to my contention that your accusation of my being involved in a false dilemma fallacy was erroneous, in which of your posts is that reply? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Regards,

Jack

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream