Defining Freedom

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Post by whitetrshsoldier »

Wonder wrote:
whitetrshsoldier wrote: In other words, "control of the mind" is really just resisting the natural physical urges that drive us, if that's possible ...
Well, from a materialistic point of view this might be true whitetrshsoldier.
i am not a materialist, and I just don't think that everything is a result of neurons, cells, molecules etc.
I am more of a spirituality kind of philosopher, not an atheist, read Plato's theory of Forms.
Ideas are more than just matter, they are spirit
Actually it is the spiritual part of the mind that I am trying to get at with this question.
From where, then, does the "spirit" derive its force?

Because wherever that is from, it is then the dictator of "free-will", isn't it?
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
Lightmage
Banned

Post by Lightmage »

whitetrshsoldier wrote:
Wonder wrote: Well, from a materialistic point of view this might be true whitetrshsoldier.
i am not a materialist, and I just don't think that everything is a result of neurons, cells, molecules etc.
I am more of a spirituality kind of philosopher, not an atheist, read Plato's theory of Forms.
Ideas are more than just matter, they are spirit
Actually it is the spiritual part of the mind that I am trying to get at with this question.
From where, then, does the "spirit" derive its force?

Because wherever that is from, it is then the dictator of "free-will", isn't it?
True- where does the spirit dirive its force when the exact motivational force in a persons life is his situationizing himself to that - in his mode of life or how he exists- it's the "situation" - that famous old debate about self deception and what forces the gay man to think about his existence in self deception- or his quality of being a homosexual in a cafe, his movements or otherwise- which alone at his house is thought about as a real existing structure to his conscious experience. That he has a connection to that conscious experience known to him- seems probably if not possible and most likely. But it's easier to say or admit that a person may only
admit to that thought of the psyche in terms of what it woudl apply.

FOR INSTANCE I can't exactly psychoanalises myself in terms of existing only myself but I could if I had the proper knowledge- that isn't to say that I could think about myself like I exist myself- to do so removes connection from reality.

The key to understand would be to look at yourself exactly like you're a thing- that seems probable if not possible- then the conception would be to understand that you can't look at yourself like a fact- in terms of existing per the sake of another person you are forced to think about conversing in that regard you get knowledge- if that knowledge exists in communication- similar to saying that you have to think about the spirt in terms of existing it per the sake of it existing as a "philosophy of life" or otherwise if a given philosohpy of life.

Take for instance the issue of Schopenhauer and how his ideas of the ethical commitments were to take up 4 distinct different notations.

He then saught out for the rest of his life- a truth- ethical absolutely- in terms of what it would mean with respect to being real in terms of ethics.

What then is the spirit when all about us is war and women are though of as superior because they are evolving in terms of society.

And when society is to see itself in terms of its own evolution we will think of -this moment- this day in time- when we did nothing other than sit back and allow people the most uncomfortable of all existence which they wouldl ivei n the future?

What an absurdity.

I will never submit to somoene telling me that the truth has not been discovered therefore the truth does not exist. A person who is to exist as himself with respect to "solving or discovering the truth" is limited in that everyone knows that this "truth" exists per the sake of wanting desiring or thinking that they can find it for themselves- which provokes war.

The idea is worthwhile with respect to guides of ethics commensurate with "spirit" and also commensurate with what is thought at any rate as ideal reality- in respect to ideal reality it's easiest to say to yourself that with regard to ideal reality you have to say "okay, so there is potentially an ideal reality"- heidegger hismelf stated that we had "fell out of touch with being" and that in his later works he undertake to the blood and gut of the issue and told how it was or is supposed to be right- but himself never commented as to how it would allow the truth to exist itself. No one said Nietzsche one time- speaking aabout schopehnuar- "discovered the truth"- and surely he died hugging a horse- but he didn't live by faulty docterines and also had the same issue of self deception that all others do.

Before you commit to a defination- submit to an explaination- or- before you commit to defination submit to defination.

There are many ethical guides and norms also descriptive of early youth in how a person or individual is required or able or willing permittied and forced to understand hi reality in terms of the fact that it is absolutely and fundamentally actually how it is meant to be and even with respect to ethical guidelines- myself- I am interested in these- because of the fact that when you go out to train yousle fknowing hte world is precisely with respect to that ethical norm of childhood or when your early youthful aspiratiosn were as high up as those as they would be for some time later in the future you soared- and at that moment of soaring- you thought you ethics were absolute- what if someone told you that they were or were not and that you knew that they were right.

What if by some instance the proper couse of society is to exist for the sake of that spirit- and what if that ethical course is defined as spirit. Who can say who knows. But with regard to early youth and how a person may or must submit to the fact that his duty in life is to follow a course of ethics consistent and applicability wise with respect to his attitude- it'd be difficult to state that you couldn't do so.

What's for instance a limit to language given our evolutionary herritage? And what ethical norms are abided by which are spoken of in terms of absolutum with out regard to any given absolute ethical norm with is absolute itself?

The point is who knows and you since will never discover what a ethical norm is you can not nor ever will discover what one is until you apply it your self.

The only application to truth self or dignity thereof is the self- the self application and the norm of dignity with respect free will dterminism and otherwise which are all very evident just by typing messages on a keyboard.

Yopu think we as humans are some pos pathetic creations meant to discuss and type to a keyboard without a consistent ethical attitude and guide. Do you hoenstly believe sincerely and honestly sothat at these times in your early you you did not commit to it for youself and for the rest of you days and life.

And the first person who states that he or she has- would be looked at and questioned interestingly- and yet the person who states no would be frowned on. I would ask why and see to it that the people of thi world are motivated to the proper course and no bologonia such as a non existent ethical spirit or nom which does not exist as it is - seems to be to me at any rate- mean tto .
[/b]
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

whitetrshsoldier wrote: From where, then, does the "spirit" derive its force?
"Spirit" has two different meanings.
1)Consider the following phrase:
"We act in the spirit of brotherhood".
We now communicate over the Net, trying to understand each other's point of view.
In order to do this, we have to assume that the underlying substance in both of us is the same.
Thus, we act essentially in the spirit of brotherhood !

In the same meaning of spirit, there are many "spirits". Spirits of war, peace, love and hate, equality, freedom,democracy or communism etc.
So, if you agree with me so far, its evident that "spirit" derives its force from us, our intent, our demeanor, our pressuposition.
Our inner self is the driving force for our spirit !
Free will is only a small part of our inner self and spirit does not arise from it.
Free will is only a characteristic of the self, an attribute, while "spirit" arises from the core of the self, the very center.

2)
The second meaning of "spirit" is "An immaterial entity, (formless) which lives in a different (immaterial) world.
In this sense ghosts, angels, souls are said to be spirits.
Also God is a Spirit in the words of Christ.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Wonder wrote:So, if you agree with me so far, its evident that "spirit" derives its force from us, our intent, our demeanor, our pressuposition.
Our inner self is the driving force for our spirit !
And if, as you say, the spirit is derived from "our intent", then truly independent "Freedom" is fairly confined now, isn't it?
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

Lightmage wrote:where does the spirit dirive its force when the exact motivational force in a persons life is his situationizing himself to that - in his mode of life or how he exists- it's the "situation" - that famous old debate about self deception and what forces the gay man to think about his existence in self deception- or his quality of being a homosexual in a cafe, his movements or otherwise- which alone at his house is thought about as a real existing structure to his conscious experience. That he has a connection to that conscious experience known to him- seems probably if not possible and most likely. But it's easier to say or admit that a person may only
admit to that thought of the psyche in terms of what it woudl apply.
Lightmage
Thoughts are not the mind, but they are part of the mind.
Besides the thoughts, the mind posseses critical evaluation about the thoughts.
We are not to succumb to any thought that comes to our mind, even if this happens continuously.
Its obvious that ....if being gay is obeying to some reoccuring thought that's not freedom but slavery to the thought.
Which brings me back to my original question:
How do we know that all thoughts in our mind are ours and not somebody else's?
Mind is not known to be an "ownership" type of thing.
Mind is not matter but something else, and in this "something else" we are not alone but there are others there also. (demons, immaterial beings, angels maybe)
This is actually the first step in understanding the mind.

So what is the meaning of control of the mind??
Of cource we can just assume that a person is "of sound mind" if this person does not hurt anybody, so for all practical purposes the person is functional (in society or elsewhere)
There is a great difference however if we try to define "control of the mind" philosophically.
The post author is reffering to the above practical definition of "control of mind".
I am reffering to the real one
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Let me answer Wonder's question with an example:
  • If a rapist puts a gun to the victim's head and orders the victim to have sex with him, then we would generally agree the victim's freedom has been infringed because her control of her own body has been offensively violated.

If a slave-master puts a gun to the head of a literary genius and orders the literary genius to write a great novel so that the slave-master may make himself rich by selling the stolen novel, then I think we would generally agree that the literary genius's freedom has been infringed because her control of her own mind has been offensively violated.
I was and am using the term mind in a secular sense. I was not using the term mind to refer to any kind of religious entity like a soul or spirit. I was not referring to anything in which an atheist or a materialist monist wouldn't believe.

Please note, I am defining freedom in the political sense. I am not talking about metaphysical freedom (e.g. the argument between non-compatibilist determinists and those who believe in metaphysical free-will).
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

The secular sense, right...ok
So it doesn't really matter if I am crazy or not as long as i don't act it ?
Is that right Scott ?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Wonder wrote:The secular sense, right...ok
So it doesn't really matter if I am crazy or not as long as i don't act it ?
Is that right Scott ?
I don't know what you are asking me or exactly what you think I am trying to say, but I don't think that it is what I am saying. :?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

Scott that was a commendable essay on what freedoms means to you.

One thing you said
To remain logically coherent, we must make note of that distinction between defense and offense in our definition of freedom, which I have done by defining freedom as the legal allowance of all people in a society to do whatever they want insofar as they do not offensively harm or coerce other people against those other people's wills.
Would that mean society endorsing non contribution in taxes as long as people are harmless? Further would this non payment of taxes include everyone or just some? I think this ideal freedom would have to have checks and balances on how the society is run. If we all do whatever we want [which sounds great] in practice this would cause the demise of a civilised society.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Eveready wrote:Scott that was a commendable essay on what freedoms means to you.

One thing you said
To remain logically coherent, we must make note of that distinction between defense and offense in our definition of freedom, which I have done by defining freedom as the legal allowance of all people in a society to do whatever they want insofar as they do not offensively harm or coerce other people against those other people's wills.
Would that mean society endorsing non contribution in taxes as long as people are harmless? Further would this non payment of taxes include everyone or just some? I think this ideal freedom would have to have checks and balances on how the society is run. If we all do whatever we want [which sounds great] in practice this would cause the demise of a civilised society.
Eveready,

Is what you called a "civilized society" prevalent in the posts that you have offered us?

If not, wouldn't the voluntary cessation of taxation cause those who wish to be "free" actually lead to the absence of liability for the actions of governments who act against the wishes of those they impose their force upon?
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

Eveready,

Is what you called a "civilized society" prevalent in the posts that you have offered us?

If not, wouldn't the voluntary cessation of taxation cause those who wish to be "free" actually lead to the absence of liability for the actions of governments who act against the wishes of those they impose their force upon?
I have no idea what you are talking about, what you said reads as off topic and snide remarks, but what I am doing right now is asking Scott about his essay on this thread, if that`s not okay with you, hard luck.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Eveready wrote:
Eveready,

I have no idea what you are talking about, what you said reads as off topic and snide remarks, but what I am doing right now is asking Scott about his essay on this thread, if that`s not okay with you, hard luck.
Eveready,

You've asserted in another post that America is responsible for the recent economic collapse. If citizens of this corrupt government refuse to enable it [via tax withholding], then would you consider us liable any longer?

That's all I proposed ... Not snide in any sense of the word ...
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

Nothing you said WTS remotely shows or illustrates what I said on other threads. Your jaundiced recital is awry. I am asking Scott on his essay on his thread what he is implicating about people being free to do what they like as long as they harm no one. I am IN CONTEXT and on point!
If you want to ask me about the American run World Centralised Bank do it on the thread it was placed. Jumping about shouting the odds on what you misinterpret on other threads isn`t having a reasoned debate. You think people are disposal and said so on another thread, you think they are within their rights to eat each other like fish do, I could just as willy nilly throw comments about what you say on other threads out of context. The entire world pays taxes.

[apologies for my part in responding and that this thread is being derailed Scott but if WTS is going from thread to thread raising his incoherant accusations my way well what can I say?]
Unrealist42

Post by Unrealist42 »

A free individual must take on total personal responsibility for everything they do. A free person cannot ascribe their motivations to others. They can claim belief in others but they cannot excuse their own behavior as being caused by this. There is no forgiveness, no salvation, no excuses for the person who is free. Everything they do they must take to their grave, regrets and all.

No one is more constrained than a person who is free.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Unrealist42 wrote:A free individual must take on total personal responsibility for everything they do. A free person cannot ascribe their motivations to others. They can claim belief in others but they cannot excuse their own behavior as being caused by this. There is no forgiveness, no salvation, no excuses for the person who is free. Everything they do they must take to their grave, regrets and all.

No one is more constrained than a person who is free.
Unrealist42,

That's a great point. Have you read "Freedom", by Jonathan Franzen?

His point is that Freedom is a burden, and that everytime we "give up Freedom" we're really just alleviating ourselves of another concern .... very important point, and very on-topic when it comes to the "Cost of Freedom".

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream