Defining Freedom

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Synthesis

Re: Defining Freedom

Post by Synthesis » November 1st, 2017, 1:28 pm

Present awareness wrote:The ability to physically move, without restraint, would be physical freedom. The ability to think without any kind of mind control, would be mental freedom. The ability to feel emotions as they arise, without suppression, would be emotional freedom. We do not have the freedom to defy laws of nature, like gravity for example, but we may live freely within those natural laws. I would define freedom as unrestricted movement, be it physical, mental, emotional or spiritual. Water is like freedom in action. Water in a river, has the freedom to flow over, under or around any object on it’s way to the lowest point. Water has the freedom to flow or be still, whatever circumstances dictate.
You speak from a ego-centric POV. If we take your site name literally, "present awareness" might suggest that the conditions under which we exist are every changing moment to moment, and therefore we must do what we must [moment to moment] without consideration of what freedom might be about. Living in the moment with full awareness supersedes any notion that freedom is an issue outside of our ego-based need to sink into the duality of that which is knowable.

Freedom does not exist any more than does all of the notions we affix names to [every damn thing].

Present awareness

Post by Present awareness » November 1st, 2017, 3:41 pm

Synthesis wrote:
Present awareness wrote:The ability to physically move, without restraint, would be physical freedom. The ability to think without any kind of mind control, would be mental freedom. The ability to feel emotions as they arise, without suppression, would be emotional freedom. We do not have the freedom to defy laws of nature, like gravity for example, but we may live freely within those natural laws. I would define freedom as unrestricted movement, be it physical, mental, emotional or spiritual. Water is like freedom in action. Water in a river, has the freedom to flow over, under or around any object on it’s way to the lowest point. Water has the freedom to flow or be still, whatever circumstances dictate.
You speak from a ego-centric POV. If we take your site name literally, "present awareness" might suggest that the conditions under which we exist are every changing moment to moment, and therefore we must do what we must [moment to moment] without consideration of what freedom might be about. Living in the moment with full awareness supersedes any notion that freedom is an issue outside of our ego-based need to sink into the duality of that which is knowable.

Freedom does not exist any more than does all of the notions we affix names to [every damn thing].

I may only speak from the only POV that I have, which is my own POV. The only moment in which life may exist is the present moment. Regardless of how long you may have lived, or how long you hope to live, if you are not alive now, then you won’t be reading this statement.

I do not claim that freedom exists, I only giving a definition of what freedom may look like. All definitions, as with all human concepts, are only useful to humans as a way to make sense of things. A deer in the forest, cares nothing about our abstract thinking and gets along fine, just the same.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.

Synthesis

Post by Synthesis » November 1st, 2017, 4:22 pm

Present awareness wrote:
The only moment in which life may exist is the present moment.
I might suggest that existence is illusory because the present moment is inaccessible [intellectually].

Present awareness

Post by Present awareness » November 1st, 2017, 4:44 pm

Since everything is temporary, why not use your illusion, while it is here?
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.

Synthesis

Post by Synthesis » November 1st, 2017, 5:00 pm

Present awareness wrote:Since everything is temporary, why not use your illusion, while it is here?
Because it will lead you astray. The clearer you can perceive, the more accurate can be your response.

Togo1

Post by Togo1 » November 11th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Synthesis wrote:
Present awareness wrote:Since everything is temporary, why not use your illusion, while it is here?
Because it will lead you astray. The clearer you can perceive, the more accurate can be your response.
Astray from what? If reality is an illusion, what are you being led astray from?

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » November 12th, 2017, 12:04 am

Synthesis wrote:
Present awareness wrote:
The only moment in which life may exist is the present moment.
I might suggest that existence is illusory because the present moment is inaccessible [intellectually].
What is the word for illusion with actual consequences? Reality? :)

If reality occurs so quickly (Planck seconds) that we can only partially perceive it then they does not render our perceptions illusory, just incomplete.

Given that no life forms can survive in isolation from other life, and given that other life forms tend to compete with you and restrict your movements, we are never truly free, and if we were truly free we would not last long. It's the old "can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" situation. The lack of respite, plus the fact that we all must kill and displace others to live, is perhaps why so many ancients believed that life on Earth was a level of Hades.

SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy » November 13th, 2017, 8:22 am

Freedom is not primarily a physical freedom but at first a mental freedom of spirit and mind. Endowed from this definition the mind itself rules all matters in basic priniciple no matter how far your physical inihibition is. Just take as an example Stephen Hawkin.

-- Updated November 13th, 2017, 12:34 pm to add the following --

Freedom is the freedom of thought and education as well as to act as an equal citizen endowed with the same rights as everyone else free in choice according to the law.