Proposal for a new social contract

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche

Re: Proposal for a new social contract

Post by Lagayscienza »

Alias, you forgot to give us the PO Box number.

You say we ran out of time. Don't despair. Baring a cosmic catastrophe, we have all the time in the world to fix things so that fewer suffer and more prosper. It's just going to take a lot longer and entail more misery than some of us would like.

If we survive, I think we'll get to something like the promised land. But then, I'm an optimist.

Cheers
La Gaya Scienza
Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill »

The problem with armed revolution is that by the time the groups finish warring with one another, if ever and a new system is established, the resources may have been depleted and there may be much environmental damage. Too much time is lost by fighting.
Lagayscienza

Post by Lagayscienza »

True, but time is what it is going to take. And, if we screw up too badly before we get to the promised land, the Earth won't mind. The Earth and life will go on without us. Maybe it's time for another end Permian extinction event to kick things into a different gear.
La Gaya Scienza
Elder
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Sandor Szathmari

Post by Elder »

The last few posts seem to agree on one thing: the proposed system would be more fair and more sustainable than the one we are living under. Most of the comments seem to be about the possibility and the method of implementation.

Is this a correct impression?

Because if we agree on that, then we could have a vision of an improved future we could work towards, however long it takes.

So my last question: would you prefer to live under the proposed system, instead of the current one we have?

Before you answer, try to imagine what it would be like in detail:

It would be a world in which you would not be surrounded with the brutality of pain, hunger, fear, frustration, shattered lives, broken families that are often the result of the economic exploitation and devastation we have today.

Try to imagine living in a world where almost all anxiety disappeared.

NOBODY has to worry about losing their home, their job, paying the bills, feeding their children, getting medical help, having an education, able to go on a vacation, pursue a hobby, being helped when they are sick and being able to retire when they are old and tired.

All of this is taken for granted.

You are required to work 2-3 hours a day in a job that you chose, trained for, are good at. You are surrounded with colleagues who are similarly relaxed, efficient, competent.

The rest of the day you could work for the private sector, for money, start your own company, buy and enjoy, or invent and market, luxuries, have all the freedom your imagination and talent can use.

I can not imagine anyone not wanting to live in a world like that (never mind for the moment whether it could be possible) but preferring to live, however rich, surrounded by a cesspool of misery, fear and hate?
I don't debate with the evaders, the hopelessly 'confused' or the too lazy to think -- life is too short!
Lagayscienza

Post by Lagayscienza »

Elder wrote:The last few posts seem to agree on one thing: the proposed system would be more fair and more sustainable than the one we are living under. Most of the comments seem to be about the possibility and the method of implementation.

Is this a correct impression?

Because if we agree on that, then we could have a vision of an improved future we could work towards, however long it takes.
I think your impression is correct.
Elder wrote:So my last question: would you prefer to live under the proposed system, instead of the current one we have?

Before you answer, try to imagine what it would be like in detail:

It would be a world in which you would not be surrounded with the brutality of pain, hunger, fear, frustration, shattered lives, broken families that are often the result of the economic exploitation and devastation we have today.

NOBODY has to worry about losing their home, their job, paying the bills, feeding their children, getting medical help, having an education, able to go on a vacation, pursue a hobby, being helped when they are sick and being able to retire when they are old and tired.

You are required to work 2-3 hours a day in a job that you chose, trained for, are good at. You are surrounded with colleagues who are similarly relaxed, efficient, competent.

The rest of the day you could work for the private sector, for money, start your own company, buy and enjoy, or invent and market, luxuries, have all the freedom your imagination and talent can use.

I can not imagine anyone not wanting to live in a world like that (never mind for the moment whether it could be possible) but preferring to live, however rich, surrounded by a cesspool of misery, fear and hate?
Would I be prepared to live under this system rather than the one we currently have?

Maybe. IF I could be convinced that it would work, and IF it could be instituted peacefully and democratically, then I would vote for it. But those are two mighty big IFs.

On the question of whether or not it could work as envisaged I am, like the majority, too economically illiterate to come to any conclusion.

The 3 main theories of value/economics that I studied in the only economics unit I did at university in my first undergraduate degree were:

-Subjective Preference or Austrian theory (SP)(Jevons, Walras, Menger and in its most modern form called, I think, Neo- classical economics of the Chicago School it's major theorist being Milton Fiedman)

-Cost of Production theory (COP) (Smith, Riccardo)

-Abstract Labour theory (Marxist)

All three made a certain amount of sense to me. As I understand it, our modern western market economies operate mainly under SP with a bit of tinkering according to COP depending on which of the major parties is in government. I may have the above a bit muddled (it was 40 odd years ago) and no doubt there are other economic theories I have not looked at. Anyway, in order to get a feel for whether your system could work I’d like to run it past a few sympathetic and highly qualified economists well versed in SP and COP to see if it would stand up even in theory. I have a suspicion Milton Friedman may have been right when he said, "One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results". But it's hard to see how you could look at the results of your idea without first giving it a go.

Anyway, if it proved possible to deal with any bugs our friendly economists identified you would then need to put together a PR campaign that Joe and Jane Average could understand. You would also need a bunch of highly politically talented people and a messianic leader who were prepared to put in many years of grueling work and mobilize a massive grass roots movement before you got even a single seat in a legislature like that of Australia, the UK or Canada (You can forget the USA until next century).

Even given all of the above I think you would also probably need a sympathetic billionaire media mogul on board so that the program could be fairly presented to the electorate. Even then, if it started to look like a winner you would find the established major parties pinching bits of your program then sinking the whole idea once they were re-elected and so it would take many electoral cycles to get off the ground.

We must be realistic - there are enormous hurdles that would need to be cleared.

Still, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility – especially if things got bad enough economically and the disparity between rich and poor continued to widen and the climate started going down the gurgler in an immediately threatening way.

Anyway, I don’t want to be a naysayer and I hope one day, if it’s economically feasible, it comes to pass. But I’ll be dead by then so I won’t even get a chance to vote on it.

Maybe you should put together a manifesto once some friendly economists have had a look at the idea.
La Gaya Scienza
Elder
Premium Member

Post by Elder »

Lagayscienza wrote:Anyway, I don’t want to be a naysayer and I hope one day, if it’s economically feasible, it comes to pass. But I’ll be dead by then so I won’t even get a chance to vote on it.
So will I, Lagayscienza, so will I.
Maybe you should put together a manifesto once some friendly economists have had a look at the idea.
As far as economists are concerned, John Ralston Saul (one of the greatest thinkers today) said in his "Doubters' Companion" (quoting from memory) "there is a similarity between economists and weather forecasters -- neither apologizes for their predictions"

Was it Milton Friedman or Alan Greenspan who said, after the last economic meltdown: "I guess I was wrong!"
I don't debate with the evaders, the hopelessly 'confused' or the too lazy to think -- life is too short!
Lagayscienza

Post by Lagayscienza »

I did read Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West. It was many years ago and I think I found it hard going...

To be honest I can't remember much about it. It's still sitting in my book shelves somewhere. I'll dig it out and have another look at it.

Cheers

-- Updated July 11th, 2015, 2:57 am to add the following --

PS I think it was Greenspan.
La Gaya Scienza
Elder
Premium Member

Post by Elder »

Lagayscienza wrote:I did read Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West. It was many years ago and I think I found it hard going...
His best books to date are: "The Doubter's Companion", "On Equilibrium" and "The Unconscious Civilization".
John Ralston Saul is Canada's foremost living philosopher. His work and thought reflects a wide-ranging, gentle understanding of us, and our human condition.
Take a look at: http://www.aller-stead.com/martin/pages/equilibrium.htm
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

My PO box is a secret. So is my superpac. My economist in't https://hazelhenderson.com/ but you'd better not waste too much time consulting her.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Elder
Premium Member

Post by Elder »

Alias wrote:My economist in't https://hazelhenderson.com/ but you'd better not waste too much time consulting her.
Wow!!!

I did not know that some economists, since John Kenneth Galbraith, of the respectable sort still exists!

Warms my heart and rekindles my faith in a possible human future. :D
Elder
Premium Member

Post by Elder »

Elder wrote:As far as economists are concerned, John Ralston Saul (one of the greatest thinkers today) said in his "Doubters' Companion" (quoting from memory) "there is a similarity between economists and weather forecasters -- neither apologizes for their predictions"
My wife found my hiding copy, so now I can quote exactly:
Economics sprouted from the same intellectual roots as weather forecasting -- rarely accurate but devoid of memory, thus cheerful about being wrong"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

There are a couple of issues that are unaddressed in the OP and how they are dealt with will likely color how the final product will behave.

For example, there are huge, I mean really huge parts of the current public sector that according to the OP would not be part of the new public sector, so what becomes of them? Are they switched to the private sector? Are they dropped altogether? I am speaking of say the military, the justice system, the penal system, roads, the post office, ports, regulatory agencies, education the list is quite long and the topics covered most would agree are critical to basic civilization as we know it.

Also what happens when the public sector needs as part of it's operation, the services of the highly educated, highly specialized? Those folks likely had to pay quite dearly for their specialized education (since graduate degrees are not a necessity, right? So they wouldn't be "free" or at least part of the new public sector), those folks are going to want to be compensated for their efforts, yet the government doesn't use money, how does that work?

Are the police public or private? Are they paid for their work (private), or volunteers (public)? Who, exactly is going to "volunteer" to take on the criminals trafficking in private sector goods and services? Not me. Is a country with private police forces better than the place we live in now? Sounds a lot more like a dystopian SyFi graphic novel to me...

There are numerous other loose ends that the OP brings to mind, but you get the idea.
"As usual... it depends."
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Elder wrote: Before you answer, try to imagine what it would be like in detail:

I'd like to be a foot taller, and 20 IQ points smarter, and devastatingly handsome, and thirty years younger, with more money than I can spend.

Hell, I'd like to be king of a country, with men wanting to be like me, and women fighting to be with me.

But rather than dwelling on scenarios that have a snowball's chance in hell, I like to imagine improvements in myself that are at least remotely achievable.
Elder
Premium Member

Post by Elder »

Wilson wrote:But rather than dwelling on scenarios that have a snowball's chance in hell, I like to imagine improvements in myself that are at least remotely achievable.
This proposal is NOT about what is possible right now, but about what could be desirable in the long run.

Without a clear idea of what we would like to achieve, we have no compass to follow to where we want to be.

But, I have said this so many times, there is no point repeating it again, over and over and over. :(
Elder
Premium Member

Post by Elder »

LuckyR wrote:For example, there are huge, I mean really huge parts of the current public sector that according to the OP would not be part of the new public sector, so what becomes of them? Are they switched to the private sector? Are they dropped altogether? I am speaking of say the military, the justice system, the penal system, roads, the post office, ports, regulatory agencies, education the list is quite long and the topics covered most would agree are critical to basic civilization as we know it.
Please reread the OP and you will find that ALL of these questions are already answered there.

The public sector is self contained, covering EVERYTHING that is required to satisfy basic needs, including police, firemen, etc., etc., etc.

No military is assumed in the scenario because, if at all it can ever be implemented, no military would be needed any more.

Again, the question is if you would like to live in a world as I described? Would it be better, fairer, more sustainable than the one we have now?

This is not communism I am proposing (even though a lot of people did take it seriously at one time or another -- some still do). This is a compromise situation that provides for both of our emotional needs: freedom and compassion.

If we don't consider something that was never tried before, we are destined to keep going around in circles, trying the same old and failed 'solutions' until we run out of time.

It is possible to think and look outside the box we have been locked in all our lives.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream