Should People Be Allowed to Own Guns?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Re: Should People Be Allowed to Own Guns?

Post by Atreyu » October 4th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Steve3007 wrote:According to statistics shown here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

up until the 1970s a majority of Americans supported a ban on handguns. But that has dramatically changed, and now a very large majority oppose such a ban. That's interesting. Any thoughts as to why that might be? The perceived threat of terrorism since 9/11 perhaps?
9-11-01 was long after the 70's.

The most obvious reason to me is a massive propaganda campaign by the NRA. Experience has shown me that if a group of people with a lot of money want to slam (repeat over and over and over) some idea on the masses, that unless there is an equally powerful group opposing that propaganda, the masses will eventually buy into it, generally speaking. Or, as Goebbels, the famous Nazi propagandist put it, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » October 5th, 2017, 6:56 am

9-11-01 was long after the 70's
Opposition to a ban on the private ownership of handguns seems to have plateaued pretty much from the mid 70's until 2000 and then started a steady rise. At least according to the graph.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » October 7th, 2017, 2:41 am

Topical topic. Let's clean up the semantics a little bit though. First gun control does not equal banning guns. At least in the US, gun bans are a NRA bogeyman to scare simpletons.

Not that there aren't proponents of bans, it is just that legally and politically, bans are nonstarters.
"As usual... it depends."