Looking for books to read

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.

Re: Looking for books to read

Post Number:#16  Postby -1- » August 11th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Hereandnow wrote:All good things, profound things especially, are hard.

You are right about that. I saw in Glendon a waitress once, she seemed like a body-builder type, or a motorcycle chick, and she had a t-shirt on that showed a very muscular man, with the inscription "A hard man is good to find."

By the way, I can't read Kant. I just Kant. I started to read the foreword, and I put it down in disgust after page 1. That guy can't write. I mean, I don't mean to diss his brilliance and his genius, and I admit he is a great thinker, except he can't write. What a pity.

Also, he never came to a conclusion which would have nicely concluded his theory. He may have been on to something, but he either died before he got to that chapter, or else he actually hadn't come up with what he'd been looking for.
"You can always live without a lover, but you can't love without a liver."
-1-

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Post Number:#17  Postby Hereandnow » August 12th, 2017, 9:13 am

Admittedly, -1-, Kant is not a tiptoe through the proverbial tulips. But neither is Einstein (Einstein read Kant at an early age, was it 13?) Curious: How do you know he
never "came to a conclusion which would have nicely concluded his theory" if you didn't get beyond the first page?
Hereandnow

Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post Number:#18  Postby -1- » August 12th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Hereandnow wrote:Admittedly, -1-, Kant is not a tiptoe through the proverbial tulips. But neither is Einstein (Einstein read Kant at an early age, was it 13?) Curious: How do you know he
never "came to a conclusion which would have nicely concluded his theory" if you didn't get beyond the first page?

Hereandnow, that is a very valid question. Hear my answer:

I know it because I believed those who had told me the same thing.

As to why Einstein read Kant at 13: Der Kritik der reinen Vernunft was a bar-mitzvah present to the little Albert by his aunt Hedda Schlagmueller.

Now, let me ask you a question if I may: How do you know if little Albert understood the contents of Kant's writing at his reading of the work at age 13?

And if Albert understood the work, how do you know he is in agreement with, or not on the opinion, that Kant has not found a nice conclusion to his theory?

If you don't want to answer those two questions, fine.

But then please answer this, because you read Kant, and understood it:

What is Kant's ultimate conclusion, vis-a-vis his hypotheses on morality? Now THIS I really insist that you write in your own words, because between the two of us you are the one claiming to have understood Kant.
"You can always live without a lover, but you can't love without a liver."
-1-

Post Number:#19  Postby Hereandnow » August 12th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Kant was a rationalist, and he grounded his ethics in the rational nature of our understanding. The details you should read yourself, given that between the two of you are the one who hasn't read him.

As to Einstein,the reference was made because no one would question the validity of what he did out of hand as you did with Kant. Shouldn't dis Kant because he's hard, anymore than you should Einstein.
Hereandnow

Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Previous

Return to Philosophers' Lounge