Good universities for the Philosophy of Physics/Science?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
AbbasZetta
New Trial Member

Good universities for the Philosophy of Physics/Science?

Post by AbbasZetta » July 3rd, 2015, 5:16 am

I will be finishing with my BSc in physics this coming academic year. I want to pursue the philosophy of physics/science in my postgraduate degree. Can anyone suggest certain "good" schools in Europe? Has anyone here done the philosophy of science?

Thanks.

Bohm2
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Re: Good universities for the Philosophy of Physics/Science?

Post by Bohm2 » July 4th, 2015, 2:12 am

Of European departments, Oxford and Cambridge are ranked very high:
This year's overall rankings are based on reputational surveys completed by nearly 200 philosophers throughout the English-speaking world and Continental Europe; 230 philosophers participated in either the overall or speciality rankings, often both. Evaluators included 15 Fellows of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences, and nearly 10 Fellows of either the British Academy or the Royal Society of Canada, among other learned societies, as well as leading senior and junior philosophers in every area of philosophy.
A Ranking of Graduate Programs in Philosophy in the English-Speaking World
http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/overall.asp

Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Re: Good universities for the Philosophy of Physics/Science?

Post by Atreyu » July 4th, 2015, 2:19 am

AbbasZetta wrote:I will be finishing with my BSc in physics this coming academic year. I want to pursue the philosophy of physics/science in my postgraduate degree. Can anyone suggest certain "good" schools in Europe? Has anyone here done the philosophy of science?
I know of no good schools, but I find your post interesting. You should already know the philosophy of physics having studied it. It was historically called "positivism", and is basically based on a world-view completely in opposition to the philosophy of Immanuel Kant, which I subscribe to. It's based on the general idea that we can move towards a more objective understanding of the world by analyzing our experiences, particularly when they are augmented with such instruments as the microscope and the telescope.

But many of us oppose this view, and assert that in fact we are moving no closer to any objective understanding of the world using the methods of modern science. All empiricism can do is tell us about the relation between the various subjective phenomena we experience. It cannot shed any light on what anything actually is, nor can it shed any light on the true causes of things, for what is ordinarily called a "cause" is merely a relationship between phenomena. The true cause of anything cannot be known, at least not in our ordinary state of awareness.....