Pipe Smoking?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Ambauer
Favorite Philosopher: Cosmo the Hedonist

Pipe Smoking?

Post by Ambauer »

Bertrand Russell once said that pipe smoking saved his life. Just like Russell, there have been many intellectuals that smoked a pipe in their day (e.g. Einstein, Lewis, Tolkien, Twain, etc.). Do you think, as Einstein did, that pipe smoking "contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs”? Do you smoke a pipe? Why?
"The things that are perish into the things from which they come to be..." - Anaximander
Hartnoiz
New Trial Member

Re: Pipe Smoking?

Post by Hartnoiz »

I would say that the image of an intellectual with a goatee, smoking pipe, wearing a turtleneck and a jacket is quite appealing, but at the same time so goddamn pretentious, ha ha :D However I have no problem with such people with those kind of attributes, what's worse is when someone thinks they'll pass as an intellectual simply by their appearance!
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

I have been an athlete all my life, so smoking anything has always been out of the question.

Intellectuals are not known for their athleticism therefore I guess they can smoke if they want.

Pipe tobacco is very aromatic and not normally offensive to anyone.

Cigar smoke reminds me of my grandfather.

Cigarette smoking is fowl and nasty.

Of the 3 (pipe, cigars, and cigarettes) I find pipes to be least offensive and not unpleasant to be in the immediate area of.

I have always wanted to go to Amsterdam and smoke a bong of dope, but have never done it.

Tobacco is addicting because of the nicotine and therefore I do not recommend it.

Alcohol is addicting too but at least it is easier to control for me.

Overall I would conclude that putting smoke into your lungs is foolishness not intellectual.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

My job involves sitting in front of a computer almost all day and for almost all of that time I have a pen in my mouth which I often chew until I get a mouthful of ink. I can't concentrate without it. If I'm working on a particularly difficult problem I can't start until I've found a pen to chew on.

So I can see Russell's point.

Let's face it, they're all nipple substitutes.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:My job involves sitting in front of a computer almost all day and for almost all of that time I have a pen in my mouth which I often chew until I get a mouthful of ink. I can't concentrate without it. If I'm working on a particularly difficult problem I can't start until I've found a pen to chew on.

So I can see Russell's point.

When I used to compete in tennis, I used chewing gum as my nipple substitute.

Nipples are definitely better, but chewing gum helps you to relax under competitive stress like in a tennis tournament.

It is just a nervous habit after all.

In tennis the best thing to think about is your chewing and your breathing. These help you to relax as you wait for the ball to come sizzling over the net and straight at you at about 150 miles per hour.

Now when I play tennis it is just for fun, not for competition. In fun tennis, you hit the ball towards your opponent where he/she can easily hit it back to you. Whereas in competitive tennis you try to hit the ball away from him.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, I've tried chewing gum but it just makes my jaw ache after hours of furious chewing so I usually return to pens.
In fun tennis, you hit the ball towards your opponent where he/she can easily hit it back to you. Whereas in competitive tennis you try to hit the ball away from him.
Thanks. That sounds like good advice for any aspiring tennis player.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

I have smoked cigars but that would be for an occasion, not as a routine.

Pipes make the smoke cooler since it has to travel through the stem, so is easier on the smoker, similarly many if not most pipe tobacco is flavored, so is less harsh than cigars. Both use premium tobacco, cigarettes use the lowest quality tobacco and are essentially a nicotine delivery system, not a smoking system.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Perhaps their inspiration came, not from satisfying their oral fixations as such, but via the contents of their pipes ...?
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Steve3007 wrote:

I can see the nipple substitute for men, but what about the reason women suck or chew on things?
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Kimberlygretchen
Favorite Philosopher: Bishop John Shelby Spong

Post by Kimberlygretchen »

Misty wrote:
Steve3007 wrote:

I can see the nipple substitute for men, but what about the reason women suck or chew on things?
The vast majority of us were nursed as infants.

But I tend to discount the "nipple substitute" theory.

Most smokers begin in their teens. So, between infancy and their teens, were they searching for something to stick in their mouth?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

-T. S. Eliot
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Misty wrote:I can see the nipple substitute for men, but what about the reason women suck or chew on things?
Penises? Seriously though, don't female babies breast feed as well? I don't think the "nipple substitute" was meant necessarily as a sexual thing.

Many women enjoy sucking on penises so maybe cigars would be something of a substitute.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Kimberlygretchen wrote:
Misty wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

The vast majority of us were nursed as infants.

But I tend to discount the "nipple substitute" theory.

Most smokers begin in their teens. So, between infancy and their teens, were they searching for something to stick in their mouth?
I was nursed for 14 months, never had an interest in alcohol or smoking. I think the reason
children/teens get into the nasty habits of drinking/smoking is that it is considered an adult
behavior. It is quite sad that alcohol/smoking/drugs is designated as a marker for adulthood. Society is to blame for this stupid marker.

My husband was not nursed when an infant. He smokes a pipe. When we met he smoked 3-4
packs of cigarettes a day as did his mother, while his dad smoked the pipe. I threw his cigs away and replaced them with a pipe and amphora tobacco. He still smokes a pipe. He chews on the pipe and the pipe is needed when he feels anxious. I hate all smoking but pipe smoke (cherry) smells good, however, I do not appreciate having to breathe it in so I avoid it as much as possible. Cigs and cigars stink so bad, and get into and on everything. I have two
nipples and so far they do not replace my husbands desire for the pipe nipple. :shock:
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Perhaps the link between smoking and nipples isn't a direct one. But I think the natural comfort we get from touching the mouth area does stem from the instinctive comfort that all us mammals get from feeding as babies. Being bottle fed doesn't alter that.

Anyway, I smoked cigarettes from age 15 to just before my first child was born and the main reason I started was the usual one: that smoking is cool, and hard, and clever and it makes girls fancy you because it makes you look sophisticated and a bit dangerous and not remotely like a dawky, spotty teenager. Why inhaling the fumes from burning dried leaves wrapped in paper would do that, I don't know. I don't make the rules. Humphrey Bogart did.

I also started because I was curious to know what it feels like to be addicted to something. I found out.
Anthony Edgar
Favorite Philosopher: Paula Haigh

Post by Anthony Edgar »

I'm going to start smoking a pipe when I hit 60 ... one of those curvy Sherlock Holmes jobs. It will make me a lot more intelligent and hopefully kill me before I get to 80.
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, oral fixation, oral satisfaction has a calming effect.

Perhaps more importantly, if you are addicted to nicotine then smoking is calming because it eases the withdrawal symptoms (eg. insomnia, confusion, vagueness, irritability, anxiety, sadness etc). The speed and strength of withdrawals depends on how quickly one's body converts nicotine to cotinine, which is a harmless metabolite of nicotine. Ironically, those whose bodies convert nicotine to cotinine most efficiently (due to gene CYP2A6) will be most addicted. For those who process nicotine inefficiently, the nicotine stays in their system for a long time and thus they have no urge to "top up".

No doubt Einstein had a busy mind and he may have had issues with organising his ideas without simple multitasking. Some find their thoughts are more settled and organised when they walk or jog. Some use oral "toys", eg. gum, sweets, food, smoking, or they play background music or talk shows to act as background while they work. The principle seems akin to white noise machines that are designed to promote sleep by covering over the distraction of small, inconsistent sounds. In that sense, mouth toys like pipes and gum can swamp distracting "micro thoughts", allowing for greater clarity with more significant/wanted thoughts.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream