Is there anything (small or big) that CAN'T be explained?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Re: Is there anything (small or big) that CAN'T be explained

Post by Rr6 »

Mugglegum wrote:LIGHT
Can anyone explain what it is compose of, and how it travels billions of light years through space.
EMRadiation. Begin with internet search. If can't accept what is out there, then you can begin there with what you do or do not find valid.

All of our finite, occupied space Universe can be explained. imho

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Mugglegum
New Trial Member

Post by Mugglegum »

Light.

I have searched the internet for an indication of what it is. The great thinkers of the past have no idea.

It has more characteristics than the ones I listed.
Each ray from its source, ie a star, flows out in a cone shape, travels at constant speed.
This means that at every moment in the Galaxy rays of light from every stars flow through each other, without influence.

Can anyone explain?
Wklau
New Trial Member

Post by Wklau »

It is an interesting question, let me define (not necessary true) some definitions before my discussion.

1) Explanation: Suppose a statement S is true, then "explanation" is by means of person A applies human semantic language (for example: Platonic dialectic argument) and/or symbolic language (for example: math and physics) to convince person B believes that statement S is true.
2) Belief: Belief is a state of human mind in which person A thinks something to be the case with or without empirical justification and scientific reasoning.
3) Information: Information is a set of data, knowledge and beliefs. Note that, wrong information is still belongs to information.
4) Agnosticism: There exists something that is unknowable for human being. For examples, samsara, reincarnation, divine are still under debating, no satisfactorily determination is found.
5) Fallibilism: An epistemological view that nothing can be rationally supported or justified in a conclusive way.

So, in order to explain anything, say "table", inevitably we need to use certain steps inform of semantic or symbolic language such that you belief that this is really a "table", provided that we have already the concept of "table" by a priori or by a posteriori approach. If we replace the material "table" with a immaterial "red", for one who doesn't have the concept of "red" will not able to understand any explanation of the perception, "red". To reduce the semantic complication, suppose everyone know that "red" is kind of light within certain range of wavelength, for instance, any light which has wavelength between 650-700 nano-meter is define as "red", someone will then ask what "light" is? Then another may answer light is kind of electromagnetic radiation (EMR); then what is EMR? EMR is certain components of electric waves and magnetic waves; then what is electric wave? ...

So, if we keep asking the question backward further and further, then in philosophy, we are involved in so called "regress problem" or "Münchhausen trilemma". The consequence will be as follow:
a) Until certain points, we reject to explain further. In this case, EMR with the wavelength between 650-700 nm is my final explanation of "red".
b) Or the explanation will go backward with an infinite chain. That is A because of B, B because of C, and C because of D ...; provided that we have infinite many true information A, B, C, D...
c) Or the explanation is cyclic with a circular reasoning. That is A because of B, B because of C, and C because of A.
So, if someone explains "red" in form of the above a), b), or c), then I should believe that this explanation is true under my belief. That is, this explanation is consistent with the state of my mind and my previous knowledge (the term knowledge need to be defined).

However, the above discussion is not even close to the answer of your question "Is there anything that can't be explained?" Your question is more complicated than one thought. Let reduce your question to "is there something can be explained?” Obviously (before I study philosophy), I believe that 3+3=6, for instance, three apples plus three apples is six apples, and hence 3+3=6. But my explaination is cannot be hold for much genius, because I accidentally apply the ontology, while the number "3" may not have something attach with (I attach the 3 with the apple). Moreover, we even don't know whether "3" is an abstract object or not, more worse is that, we even don't whether abstract object exist or not. (May search the Fregean argument of mathematics Platonism)

If we rooted on the skepticism, fallibilism or agnosticism, then nothing can be explained. One of the reasons is that all human argument is based on semantic language and, unfortunately, semantic language is only a tiny part of the universal, part cannot cover the whole. That is why human consciousness and supernatural power are hard to be explained by semantic approach.

Regard to the day-to-day practice, 3+3=6 can be explained satisfactory. Likewise, "table" and "red" can also be explained satisfactory provided that we don't asked too many questions backward. According to the determinism, everything is causally determinate by some reasoning, and hence "free will" is only by chance but not by necessity.

Short closing: In day-to-day real life, all events can be explained, if not now, then in the future.
In the essential natural events, nothing can be explained by using semantic approach only, especially by human-to-human argument. Note that, truth is existed before everything and, it is independent on the observer and explanation.
Mugglegum
New Trial Member

Post by Mugglegum »

Than you for your reply WLAU.

Your reply is incoherant to me, to an a highly qualified Electrical Engineer, I wear the purple.

Light is not connected in anyway to Electro/Magnetism, except that they both and Gravity, can only be called Abstracts, they exist, we know that as we can detect each one of them. Indeed Gravity causes Light to flow around heavenly bodies.

My own thoughts Light, it relies upon something to flow, and at a constant speed. The only effect that will cause this is the Domino Effect. An initial force needed to start the process, the falling dominoes continue the process and gives it the constant speed.

The question is what provides the energy for the Domino Effect. It is not energy as we know it, could it be Negative Energy. Could it be that Positive Energy and Negative Energy are two sides of a coin, neither can detect the other side.

The basic mathmatical formular of the Big Bang, 1-1=0. That is if Positive Energy comes from nothing, the Negative Energy is also created.

I appreciate any comments, even negative ones, I have in the last 20 Years studied Life, how it started and what it is all about, coming across many enlightning things.

-- Updated September 25th, 2016, 7:31 pm to add the following --

From the question can anything be unexplainable.

This is the basis of Phylosophy, we try with deep thinking to give an explaination. Our thinking is not based upon the sciences, the sciences start as theories and with proof become LAWS. We start with probabiities, hopeing they can eventuality become theories.

Keep thinking
BelieveNothing

Post by BelieveNothing »

Wklau wrote: Note that, truth is existed before everything and, it is independent on the observer and explanation.
I have a problem with truth in mind..

"the following statement is false.."
"the previous statement is true."

True or false? Maybe neither? Maybe both? Clearly contradictory or maybe unknown? I used to believe that truth existed before reality and separate from it but I'm no longer so sure. My first idea of what truth is was some kind of static state or 'balance'. Since then I have realized that I imagine truth to be static because of the nature of language - these words will remain whether true or not, but awareness of truth is all about change or in other words discovery. I think words and language are too static to determine the 'true or false' status of the above two contradictory statements. During the process of reading the two statements in quotation marks, while jumping back and forth from one statement to the other because they refer to one another, it becomes clear that a change is happening at the same pace in which you are reading and I for one can't explain the changing validity with static language. I would like to see someone explain that..?

The two statements contradict one another in such a way that kind of creates a loop is the way I see it, each statement switches from being true to being false or vice versa purely because the other one is doing the same thing and referring back.. I struggle with whether they are true or false though because the limitations of my mind are such that they can't be both. Does anyone know what I'm waffling on about? :D
Reality is not all in your mind.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Everything can be explained, but there is a limit for understanding, and you can alays explain more, but you'll never reach perfection.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Nothing can be explained. It can only be described.

-- Updated Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:15 pm to add the following --

Mugglegum:
When we walk along a path next to a body of water, we see the light from the moon reflected from the water, this path follows us as we walk on.
That's an interesting conclusion from the observation. The more conventional conclusion is that light from the moon is reflecting simultaneously towards every point on the path that we are going to walk on. The act of walking selects each of these paths in succession.
LIGHT...

...Can anyone explain what it is compose of, and how it travels billions of light years through space.
Various purported explanations, with various levels of depth and generality could be given, but you would still be left asking essentially the same question at the end of it all. If somebody describes the underlying mechanism which links a set of observations it will always be possible to ask for the deeper mechanism underneath that mechanism, which describes a wider possible set of observations. That's why I think it might be best to altogether dispense with the notion that we are explaining something. Simply stick to the idea that we are providing relatively simple descriptions of large subsets of all possible observations.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY wrote:And i don't mean that it can't be explained by the lack of information.

I have adapted the belief that everything has an explanation, but i'd like to know if there's a thing that can't be explained.

I prefer something small.
“The great question that has never been answered and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my 30 years of research into the feminine soul, is: ‘What does a woman want?’” Sigmund Freud
This is one of those great questions that men can never answer nor explain why not. The best alternative is to buy flowers for Valentine's day and hope for the best.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

I would hazard that what most women want is not to be treated as though there is one thing that all women want, as if they're a single homogeneous group.

That, and chocolate.
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

Photon{ boson } = finite, discrete quantity of energy/physical that has specific frequency, amplitude and speed.

Photon has both electric and magnetic sine-wave aspect.

^v^v^ = sine wave frequency topology

\/\/\/\/\/ sine-wave frequency topology

Photons are emitted and absorbed by sun, humans or any electron anywhere in our finite, occupied space Universe.

Photons can aid life and can kill life.

Some photons are visible light and some photons are inviisble light and some photons are not light.

r6
-1-

Post by -1- »

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY wrote:And i don't mean that it can't be explained by the lack of information.

I have adapted the belief that everything has an explanation, but i'd like to know if there's a thing that can't be explained.

I prefer something small.
Axioms can't be explained.

For instance, in math, there are many axioms, one of which is, for instance,

A+B=B+A

This can't be explained. This is how it is.

All other axioms are the same in this sense.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

All explainations are dependent on words. All words are abstract sounds which represent things which are not abstract sounds. Since all words are defined by other words, there are no words that are not in the dictionary. It is a closed system, dependant on the rules that make it work, very much like math.

Since any explanation based on words is abstract, all ideas about explanations are also abstract. With a little imagination, anything may be explaned abstractly.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

We do know, that, if egg did not invert, we would not exist.

The finite must invert/involute in order to evolute/outvert.

What goes in must come out again.

There exists only three cosmic directions:

in, out and around, however, around is always falling in or out.

r6
Rr6 wrote:Ultra-micro gravity ergo mass-attraction i.e. no one knows why mass attracts, only that if it did not, Universe would not exist.
The egg inverts to create the spinal chord. Why does the genetics of egg invert?
Mass-attracts INward towards other mass. Maybe it has to do with some aspect of spin, that two masses share.
r6
Skydude
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel kant

Post by Skydude »

You can explain anything that is conceivable within the human mind, whether that explanation includes facts or is completely Ludacris but here the definition of explanation comes into play. I suppose an explanation can be given for anything, my question would do we need to prove said explanation when faced with contradictory claims?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

My erection ... :(

HAHA!
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream