Looking for feedback on my new book

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Mysterio448

Looking for feedback on my new book

Post by Mysterio448 »

I just recently published an ebook on Amazon. It is published under the author name Mysterio448 and it is entitled "The Explanation of Life". But as of right now, I have not received any feedback on it from anyone. I would really like to know what people think about it. I have never written a book before, so this is a new experience for me. The book addresses the "meaning/purpose of life" question; it proposes a substantive explanation for why we exist. I think you will find it interesting. Starting on March 20 until March 24, the book should be available for free as a promotion. I invite anyone to obtain a copy of the book during the promotion period and check it out. Tell me what you think.

-- Updated March 20th, 2016, 12:22 am to add the following --

You can find the book here: "The Explanation of Life" by Mysterio448
Burning ghost

Re: Looking for feedback on my new book

Post by Burning ghost »

Congratulations on completing your book.

I don't have a kindle so cannot read it though. Hope you get some critic.
AKA badgerjelly
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

The primary critique I would offer is that it is assumed there is an answer to any given question. The question remains, but the existence of a question does not necessitate the existence of an answer to that question.

Your point with the nihilist view is assumptive of nihilists having no substantive answer to your particular question(s), which are subjective in themselves and do not reflect on the objective nature of the primary question you ask, that is, the "why" of life.

The other is the assumption of what you consider to be "complexity", which must be relative to some presumable non-complex reference. A simple sphere is infinitely more "complex" than a void, for example.

If life is absurd then your question as to the "why" of life is even more absurd still.

You will never find a "satisfactory" answer to your questions. The ultimate result of any of this amounts to absolutely nothing if you understand the scale of what is, and more importantly, what is not.

There are no systems, and therefore there are no mistakes.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Burning ghost wrote:Congratulations on completing your book.

You don't need a kindle specifically. You can read any kindle ebook on your PC or an Android device by using the Kindle app, which is available on the Amazon website.

-- Updated March 20th, 2016, 9:58 am to add the following --
Spiral Out wrote:The primary critique I would offer is that it is assumed there is an answer to any given question. The question remains, but the existence of a question does not necessitate the existence of an answer to that question.
Which is why I emphasized the importance in asking the right questions, i.e. questions that have answers.
Spiral Out wrote:The other is the assumption of what you consider to be "complexity", which must be relative to some presumable non-complex reference. A sphere is infinitely more "complex" than a void, for example.
I understand "complexity" to be the totality of coherently interacting parts within a whole. Complexity does not necessarily have to be compared to a "non-complex" reference, only a "less-complex" reference.
Spiral Out wrote:If life is absurd then your question as to the "why" of life is even more absurd still.
You seem to associate "why" with a "reason", when I associate it with an "explanation". Even absurd things which have no reason or purpose can have an explanation.
Spiral Out wrote:You will never find a "satisfactory" answer to your questions. The ultimate result of any of this amounts to absolutely nothing if you understand the scale of what is, and more importantly, what is not.
Then why not read the whole book?

-- Updated March 20th, 2016, 10:00 am to add the following --
Spiral Out wrote: There are no systems, and therefore there are no mistakes.
How do you mean?
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Mysterio448 wrote:Which is why I emphasized the importance in asking the right questions, i.e. questions that have answers.
The only questions that have answers are the questions that are entirely subjective. Therefore, the answer to those questions will be different with each person and they will all be correct. There is nothing to be gained from asking such questions, at least not in any supposedly "objective" manner.

Are you in fact considering your questions from an "objective" viewpoint?
Mysterio448 wrote:I understand "complexity" to be the totality of coherently interacting parts within a whole. Complexity does not necessarily have to be compared to a "non-complex" reference, only a "less-complex" reference.
What do you mean by "coherently interacting"? And what is the totality of this "whole" you are contemplating?
Mysterio448 wrote:You seem to associate "why" with a "reason", when I associate it with an "explanation". Even absurd things which have no reason or purpose can have an explanation.
Why are you dissatisfied with the nihilist explanation? Does is not create an enjoyable emotional state?
Mysterio448 wrote:Then why not read the whole book?
I wish I could but I simply do not have enough time to do so. If you would direct me to the most substantive points in your book then I would gladly give you feedback and discuss at length your ideas on those points.
Spiral Out wrote:There are no systems, and therefore there are no mistakes.
Mysterio448 wrote:How do you mean?
A "system" is a concept that is applied by a subjective entity to any particular property of an objective environment that has some apparent perceived functionality. However, such functionality is only applicable to the extent that the subjective entity perceives it to be, and relative only to that entity's well being as it relates to either "design" or any supposed "mistakes".
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Mysterio448 wrote: I would really like to know what people think about it.
The best way to accomplish this would probably be to post selected sections of the book here, and invite members to comment on those sections.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Mysterio448 wrote:
Burning ghost wrote:Congratulations on completing your book.

You don't need a kindle specifically. You can read any kindle ebook on your PC or an Android device by using the Kindle app, which is available on the Amazon website.
Damn you, now he'll have to think of another excuse.
Smart by name and Alec by nature.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Ormond wrote:
Mysterio448 wrote: I would really like to know what people think about it.
The best way to accomplish this would probably be to post selected sections of the book here, and invite members to comment on those sections.
This might be hard to do because the book is structured in a holistic and interconnected way. In order to understand the whole, you have to look at all the parts. If I isolated certain excerpts of the book, they might come off as meaningless. The book is now available for free for a limited time, so anyone can just get the book, read as much of it as suits them, and then comment on whatever parts they wish to comment on.

-- Updated March 20th, 2016, 5:03 pm to add the following --
Spiral Out wrote: The only questions that have answers are the questions that are entirely subjective.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it seems false to me. There are plenty of objectively answerable questions.
Spiral Out wrote:Are you in fact considering your questions from an "objective" viewpoint?
Yes.
Spiral Out wrote:What do you mean by "coherently interacting"? And what is the totality of this "whole" you are contemplating?
"Coherently interacting" refers to parts or components interacting in a coherent, non-random way.
Spiral Out wrote:Why are you dissatisfied with the nihilist explanation? Does is not create an enjoyable emotional state?

I think I made it clear in the introduction what my problem was with the nihilist explanation. As to what effect it has on my emotional state, that has nothing to do with the truthfulness of the nihilist explanation.
Spiral Out wrote:I wish I could but I simply do not have enough time to do so. If you would direct me to the most substantive points in your book then I would gladly give you feedback and discuss at length your ideas on those points.
This would be hard to do. The book has a rather holistic and interconnected structure, so individual parts of it isolated from the whole are not as meaningful as when understood in context.
Spiral Out wrote: A "system" is a concept that is applied by a subjective entity to any particular property of an objective environment that has some apparent perceived functionality. However, such functionality is only applicable to the extent that the subjective entity perceives it to be, and relative only to that entity's well being as it relates to either "design" or any supposed "mistakes".
I don't understand your logic here. You say that a system only exists insomuch as a person perceives it to exist; but assuming this to be true, how does this preclude the existence of systems? The existence of anything in the world can only be determined by our perceptions. Just because we can only know the world through our imperfect perceptions does not itself mean that there is no world beyond those perceptions.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Mysterio448 wrote: The book is now available for free for a limited time, so anyone can just get the book, read as much of it as suits them, and then comment on whatever parts they wish to comment on.
Yes, people can do this. But why would they?

No offense, but your opening post and sales page on Amazon invest close to zero effort in to giving us a reason to do so.

I dunno. Give it a try. If you get the feedback you are seeking, then there's no problem that needs to be solved.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Ormond wrote:
Yes, people can do this. But why would they?
Because my book is a philosophical book, and this is a philosophy forum. Furthermore, I actually think my book is pretty good. I think a lot of people who read at least the introduction will be compelled to read more.
Ormond wrote:No offense, but your opening post and sales page on Amazon invest close to zero effort in to giving us a reason to do so.
Can you elaborate? What exactly is wrong with my opening post and with my Amazon sales page? When Scott advertised his new ebook during a free promotion, I got a copy. There was another poster somewhere who also was giving away free copies of an ebook, and I got that one too. I don't see any reason why others wouldn't do the same with my book. A free giveaway can inspire a lot of curiosity.
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Mysterio448 wrote: A free giveaway can inspire a lot of curiosity.
That's true. It makes me curious as to why, if the book is so good, you're having to give it away.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Alec Smart wrote:
Mysterio448 wrote: A free giveaway can inspire a lot of curiosity.
That's true. It makes me curious as to why, if the book is so good, you're having to give it away.
Because I just published it, and no one knows about it or about me as an author.
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Mysterio448 wrote:
Because I just published it, and no one knows about it.
I wish BMW used the same sales technique.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Mysterio448 wrote:I think I made it clear in the introduction what my problem was with the nihilist explanation.
Before I read any further into your book, I'll need you to resolve one very critical contradiction in the statements you make at the very beginning of your book.

You've summarily rejected the nihilist explanation of life using the concept of meaning and purpose with the example of the process of oxidative phosphorylation within mitochondria which you say is an "ingenious process" which you claim is "such a meaningful process" and which apparently you believe to prove "objective meaning and purpose in the universe".

Then, not more than a handful of paragraphs later, you claim your previous talk of meaning and purpose to be a "bit of a misdirection" as you "have come to the realization that life does not have a meaning or purpose to be found", but that what life does have is an explanation.

The nihilist explanation says that life has no intrinsic (objective) meaning, purpose or value.

So my point is that you have claimed that you have come to the realization that life has no meaning or purpose but has an explanation yet you have rejected the explanation that life has no meaning or purpose (nihilism)!

Please explain.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Alec Smart wrote:
Mysterio448 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Damn you, now he'll have to think of another excuse.
No need to. I don't own a computer or pad thingy. I only have my phone :)
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream