Who was the philosopher who said that religion/belief in God

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
GonzoGeo
New Trial Member

Who was the philosopher who said that religion/belief in God

Post by GonzoGeo »

Hello,

Longtime user and new member here.

Just curious if anyone knows the name of the philosopher(s) who said that religion or the belief in God takes our focus away from this life?

Furthermore, doesn't religion also mean that believers will spend their life doing "God's work" in order to get into heaven because they fear hell? So do these two concepts counterbalance each other? What are your thoughts?

GonzoG
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Who was the philosopher who said that religion/belief in

Post by Eduk »

Well a few things here. Not every religious person spends their whole life in total dedication to their religion. Like most things a lot of people do the bare minimum.
Also spending your life doing god's work is taking focus away from this life. Or at least that is my interpretation. I assume the philosopher is an atheist.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Just curious if anyone knows the name of the philosopher(s) who said that religion or the belief in God takes our focus away from this life?
Buddha said that, among others. But all beliefs distract us from direct experience - not just religious beliefs.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

"Many know, manier don’t, That to believe is stronger than to know."

Your entire knowledge base and all your empirical knowledge is based on belief. (Except the knowledge of your self's being. And the knowledge that space exists.)

One day we'll have creatures that can experience reality directly. We, human philosophers, must resign to the ugly reality that we must compute everything and interpolate and then extrapolate -- and when we do this latest, is when we create differences in opinion and insight.
Ignorance is power.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Felix wrote:But all beliefs distract us from direct experience - not just religious beliefs.
I cast my vote for President Felix.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

Mindfulness, is the focus of attention on what is happening right here and right now. Conceptual thinking, focussing attention on thoughts of money, sex or religion, at the expense of present moment awareness, is at the root of the problem, regardless of the subject matter one is thinking about.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Ormond wrote:
Felix wrote:But all beliefs distract us from direct experience - not just religious beliefs.
The prez is oblivious to the fact that direct experience by humans is indistinguishable form being merely a mirage. A little reading of Plato would have alerted him to that.

Those who voted for him and into a majority will have us all pay the back taxes to offset the catastrophic decline in reason.

-- Updated December 30th, 2016, 10:17 pm to add the following --
Present awareness wrote:Mindfulness, is the focus of attention on what is happening right here and right now. Conceptual thinking, focussing attention on thoughts of money, sex or religion, at the expense of present moment awareness, is at the root of the problem, regardless of the subject matter one is thinking about.
What's happening right HERE and right NOW is some sex and money. An exchange, in fact.

So how do I not think of sex and money when they are the things happening right here and right now?

You also mentioned a problem. What is your problem?
Ignorance is power.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Why thank you, concerned citizen. Nobody asked me to run in his place this year but I declined. How could I possibly replace Nobody?

Surely you remember Nobody? - https://goo.gl/TFEKGo

Nobody knows everything, Nobody tells the truth, Nobody really cares about you, Nobody loves you when you're down and out....

"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Present awareness

The problem, which gonzo points out, is "what takes our focus away from life"? It's funny that you should mention sex Renee, as I read that a survey discovered, only 10% of people think of something else while having sex.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Present awareness wrote:The problem is "what takes our focus away from life"?
The answer is Death, I'd suppose. Because when you are alive, you are constantly focussing on one or another aspect of life. Life with a capital L is made up of life, with a lower-case L. One can't say that "this life is not part of Life, so you oughtn't to focus on it." Also, it's hard to focus on Life if Life is all of the instances of life. Focus means directed attention to a minute part. A whole can't be focused on, per definition.

So this Buddha thing is really the pits. I hate the Buddha. He was a moron. A smart, and eloquent, glib moron. A moron of the ilk of Deak Chupra. Except not as good as Deak.

Buddha... gimme a break. You can give me any quote from the Buddha and I'll validly refute it like the one with the focus thing. He was a idiot. A complete imbecile. People fall for him because people like poetry more than philosophy, and they fall for poetry when it declares itself as philosophy.

-- Updated December 31st, 2016, 2:36 pm to add the following --

Sorry about the hot spice of my rant. I really hate the Buddha. He is one of the most overrated morons in human history. There was a cat that really was gone, to quote Boney M.
Ignorance is power.
Present awareness

It matters not whether one loves the Buddha or hates the Buddha, loves the Christ or hates the Christ, these are all a matter of personal preference. Opinions vary and who's to say which is right and which is wrong? Regardless of any cherished opinions, one fact remains, and that is we are here, and it is now! Other then that, the rest is just concept and conjecture.
Villion
New Trial Member

Post by Villion »

Present awareness wrote:It matters not whether one loves the Buddha or hates the Buddha, loves the Christ or hates the Christ, these are all a matter of personal preference. Opinions vary and who's to say which is right and which is wrong? Regardless of any cherished opinions, one fact remains, and that is we are here, and it is now! Other then that, the rest is just concept and conjecture.
Sorry, but it matters much. For one may have established a personal contact with the person in question. Saying that it doesn't matter whether you love Buudha or not may amount to the same as in real life to say whether you love someone who is near you or hate him.
Present awareness

I agree that a person's beliefs, matter to that person, Villion. However, why should it matter to anyone else, other then perhaps the object of their love or hate? There are well over 7 billion people on the planet today, whom I know nothing about, people being born and dying constantly. Not knowing whom they are or what they believe in, makes no difference at all in my own personal life.
Villion
New Trial Member

Post by Villion »

Present awareness wrote:I agree that a person's beliefs, matter to that person, Villion. However, why should it matter to anyone else, other then perhaps the object of their love or hate? There are well over 7 billion people on the planet today, whom I know nothing about, people being born and dying constantly. Not knowing whom they are or what they believe in, makes no difference at all in my own personal life.
If a person matters to me his likes and dislikes matter to me also. It is sometimes more interesting to know whom the person likes than what opinion he holds to. As to there being 7 billion people on the planet today let us make a mental experiment. Suppose one had been in a desert island for some time, the time being enough to make one long for human being. And then one day a himan being taken at random from those 7 billion came to the island. What feeling should one have then. I suppose that the human being taken at random from 7 billon would matter to one.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Present awareness wrote:It matters not whether one loves the Buddha or hates the Buddha, loves the Christ or hates the Christ, these are all a matter of personal preference. Opinions vary and who's to say which is right and which is wrong? Regardless of any cherished opinions, one fact remains, and that is we are here, and it is now! Other then that, the rest is just concept and conjecture.
I agree with you to the point where it starts to employ reason why one loves or hates the Buddha or the Christ. Just stating "I hate both" is fine, but not a matter of interest to others. However, I do believe, and have seen it in action over and over again, that qualifying, and successfully qualifying, why you hate or love them or love or hate anything else, can and will change the world.

Which is nothing to sneeze at.

At the point of reasoning it out, it becomes a public matter, it is no longer a private matter.

Other than that, you may be right.
Ignorance is power.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream