Looking for a native English proofreader in philosophy of sc

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Cinaft
New Trial Member

Looking for a native English proofreader in philosophy of sc

Post by Cinaft »

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a native English researcher working in the field of philosophy of science/philosophy of mathematics/mathematics to proofread and polish my manuscripts prepared for submission and also (if wanted) other texts within future projects of the small press company that I manage.

I always had difficulties with the journal editors when coming to the issues of language. Manuscripts with positive reviews and close to publication have been pending for many months due to language and I have struggled polishing and re-polishing them with the help of several people. Some of these manuscripts never met the editor’s expectation, although they acknowledged their substance, which is the case of the current job (I have a manuscript that was proofread by a native linguist, reread by a native mathematician, passed both journal’s reviews and accepted for publication as regard its content, but the editor still reject the language as “non idiomatic”, “difficult to read”, with “senseless sentences”, etc.).

Thus far I have worked with a native linguist familiar with the field of philosophy and psychology. I thought philosophical texts are clear enough for a native reader to intuit what a non-native author mean in its “weird-sounding” portions, but it seems that I was wrong. Now I am sure that the expertise in the particular field of the text (philosophy of science) is necessary for the proofreader. I feel that the original style, carrying local cultural characteristics, always remain embedded in the final proofread text. I understand that these difficulties are mere the nature of language, but I still cannot accept that a text proofread third times can be rejected.

I am looking for a philosopher of science, of mathematics, or a mathematician to polish my texts in order to make them readable, eliminate the weird non-native style, intuit the logical connection between the parts of the sentence even it is not clearly visible, comply with the standard style of exposition of the literature in that particular field, and, of course, correct the obvious grammar/orthographic/spelling errors. I intentionally left this text unpolished for you to have an image of what is to be done (I only run the automatic spellchecker on it).

I welcome PhD students or early career academics to answer my call. I cannot pay much (my offer is $4 per 300-word source page or co-authorship if preferred), but I can compensate with volume and other advantages. We also have books in projects, single authored or collections of texts in the field of philosophy of science, needing native proofreading. Editor positions and also co-authorship for the proofreaders will be available once the projects started.

Thank you for your time.
Ormond

Re: Looking for a native English proofreader in philosophy o

Post by Ormond »

Cinaft wrote:I welcome PhD students or early career academics to answer my call.
Doubt you'll find either here, but good luck. Forums are more for those of us with no credentials who have no where else to publish, ie. amateurs. You might be able to find an undergrad on forums.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
WorldThief
New Trial Member

Post by WorldThief »

I am an American English teacher currently living in Spain. My undergraduate degree was in anthropology with a minor in creative writing. Perhaps I am not exactly what you are looking for because I do not specialize in philosophy. However, I am well versed on many subjects and I devote myself to fiction writing and poetry. I have experience translating a wide variety of documents and am skilled at restructuring sentences and paragraphs to become more elegant and logical. If it's fluency and naturalness you're interested in and you don't come across a better candidate, contact me.
Cinaft
New Trial Member

Post by Cinaft »

Hi, thank you for your reply. I already worked with a linguist with a similar profile and it proved that expertise in that particular field is essential. This is why I am looking for someone working or educated in philosophy/exact science. However, I would like to enlarge the team of collaborators within my press company, so if you are interested in isolated projects (proofreading/polishing translations as books or articles in your specialization), please send your resumee. Thanks again.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Cinaft wrote: I understand that these difficulties are merely the nature of language, but I still cannot accept that a text proofread third times can be rejected.
Your problem may be as simple to solve as 1-2-3.

Fire your boss, the Editor-In-Chief. He or she is plain stupid. There is nothing you can do to improve that.

If they are fireproof, then you need to find another thankless job. This is not a solvable problem you face.

Even if it were theoretically solvable (which it is not) your financial reward system is so impoverished, that you will never get a quality person commit to the task. $4 remuneration per three hundred words is laughable. Unless of course you get a third-world Ph.D. to do this, who will grab at the opportunity at a flash. -- I understand the dollar figure quoted is in Australian dollars, not Malgasii dollars?

Try a literature undergrad Math Ph.D. with a Nobel prize in physics from Zimbabwe, Lesotho, or Kenya. Advertise in the "Upper Volta Scientific Journal" or in the Tirana Hedron Collider Research Facility's job classifieds. Send some recruiters to Yerevan, Hitvany and Kurtizan. That sort of thing.

I have advertised in the Timbuktu Research Council's web page, with the wording, "Must have three or more years of proven track experience on walking on water. Willing to travel and turn water into wine and his body into bread for nourishment on travels, in lieu of reimbursed travel expenses. Remuneration commensurate with experience." Five hundred and seventy-eight Malawii nuclear oceanographers with Ph.D.-s from MIT applied, eight thousand of whom alone were direct descendants of Albert Einstein and Marie Curie combined.

---------------

Please pardon the sarcasm. I was just mere toying with the thought, no reflection on the sincerity of your intentions.

Please drop the word "intuit" from your active vocabulary -- nobody is into it any more.
Ignorance is power.
Cinaft
New Trial Member

Post by Cinaft »

Hi,
If this task is not attainable, how do you explain the thousands of paper published by non-natives?
I have no boss to fire. As I am talking about my manuscript, perhaps you suggest to fire myself.
I already got applications from (first-world) graduates and I am evaluating them. It seems that US also has poor people. I have been working with US-native linguists for more than 10 years for $3 per page. Besides, I also offerred co-authorship. Since the paper will be published in a good journal, it may worth something for someone who buils a portfolio, such as PhD students.
Language is a very complex issue. I like to say that all conflicts in this world (both scientific and daily-life ones) originate in language.
Thanks for your intervention.

-- Updated January 4th, 2017, 3:28 pm to add the following --
Ormond wrote:
Cinaft wrote:I welcome PhD students or early career academics to answer my call.
Doubt you'll find either here, but good luck. Forums are more for those of us with no credentials who have no where else to publish, ie. amateurs. You might be able to find an undergrad on forums.
Hi. That is not actually a strict requirement. I am sure graduates also post here. I am looking for someone familiar with the kind of text used here. Forum posts in philosophy of science assume arguments and logical flow. If someone is not published (yet) this does not mean s/he cannot review a paper, at least with regard to language and style.
Causa-finalist
New Trial Member

Post by Causa-finalist »

Hello,

I believe that I might be able to provide what you are looking for. I am already working on a few such projects in related fields, but philosophy of science is my primary area or interest. My only hesitation would be that I am not fluent in complex mathematics (the formulaic or computational aspects, I am fairly competent in understanding and articulating complex mathematical concepts in linguistic form). I would not require payment, but would greatly appreciate co-authorship. Perhaps you could provide me with a sample text to examine and I could give you a more accurate assessment of my ability.

Cheers,

–Mel
Cinaft
New Trial Member

Post by Cinaft »

HI Mel,
Thank you for your interest and reply. Please send me via pm or e-mail your resume. The texts for proofreading will be mainly in the field of philosophy of science. The formulaic texts are not actually my concern regarding proofreading, as the mathematical language is somehow universal and I have a good command of it.
Until your reply, I already hired someone pretending expertise in philosophy of science, gave him a manuscript and found that he misunderstood frequently my meanings (not having the ability of "reconstructing" the original meaning on the basis of his expertise). This made me more careful and also pessimist that my search does have a finality.
Regading co-authorship, I reserve myself the right of offering payment or co-authorship depending on the paper.
If you send me your resume, I wiull send you a sample.
Thanks again.
Cinaft
New Trial Member

Post by Cinaft »

Hi Mel,
Please send me your resume via pm or email. Thanks.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream