What will happen to this site with no administrators?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
-1-

What will happen to this site with no administrators?

Post by -1- »

Greta claims she is shouldering the entire weight of monitoring this site, as well as approving new topics and approving the posts of new members.

In a statement released very recently, Greta announced that she is soon going to subside or cease (not yet determined) her involvement in the site's administration. Scott is not responsive to her enquiries.

What do YOU think will happen to this site when the last moderator leaves?

In my opinion the site will continue for a while in its civility, due to the inertia of the site's moral momentum. After that, resistance will crop up, and eventually the site will degrade to the level of its competition: ad hominem attacks, flaring flaming wars, and insults will become more and more rampant.

I will weep for this site's old success.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Re: What will happen to this site with no administrators?

Post by wanabe »

There are lots of mods at this forum. I'm one of them. The following is just my personal opinion.

It seems that the decentralized model has been successful for this site. I had to approve this post, as a matter of fact, before I could reply.

This site has been around for some time and has not degraded into thoughtless banter like many other places on "The Web." If Greta leaves someone will fill that space.

There will pretty much never be a time when all moderators leave. Unless Scott decides to just not keep the servers up. Or unless catastrophe strikes the world.

Any site with no moderators, regular users generally police themselves, or just about everyone leaves for "greener pastures." After most everyone leaves then regular users trickle back and new mods form and slowly things evolve and improve from there.

This site is still quietly successful. I believe part of that success is due to most people actually being turned off by the word "philosophy." Which speaks volumes for society at large, and the generally responsible community here.

Lots of other things worth weeping for, a website is not one of them.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

wanabe wrote:There are lots of mods at this forum. I'm one of them. The following is just my personal opinion.

It seems that the decentralized model has been successful for this site. I had to approve this post, as a matter of fact, before I could reply.

This site has been around for some time and has not degraded into thoughtless banter like many other places on "The Web." If Greta leaves someone will fill that space.

There will pretty much never be a time when all moderators leave. Unless Scott decides to just not keep the servers up. Or unless catastrophe strikes the world.

Any site with no moderators, regular users generally police themselves, or just about everyone leaves for "greener pastures." After most everyone leaves then regular users trickle back and new mods form and slowly things evolve and improve from there.

This site is still quietly successful. I believe part of that success is due to most people actually being turned off by the word "philosophy." Which speaks volumes for society at large, and the generally responsible community here.

Lots of other things worth weeping for, a website is not one of them.

Without objective moderation a site is limited to selective moderation. Then it will be taken over by dominant cliques with the aim of destroying what they and selective moderators do not understand. A philosophy site when it pursues this path no longer contains philosophy but becomes advocates for blind hatred of ideas.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Blind hate is what I bring?
So I allegedly hate everything?

Nick claims this ain't philosophy
And I am officiating monstrously,
Not enough respect for his much-repeated theology
- and I even support those who do sodomy!

Yes, there are many mods lying in the wings
But they rarely do a single thing.

So there is no penalty here for apostasy
Neither here nor in a healthy democracy.
My moderation done without apology,
And not slanted to any ideology.
A focus on quality.
Bonhomie.
Diversity.
And since the work here's almost a monopoly
Idle complaints like Nick's I treat as light comedy.
wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe »

Nick_A,

You're absolutely right. Unless a large collective of responsible individuals shares the moderation labor, things can't even begin to resemble objectivity.

As a matter of business. Currently, do you think a certain group of moderators or individual moderator is advocating blind hatred of ideas and using their moderator power to enhance the impact of that hatred? If so, can you provide direct material evidence of this? This personally concerns me.

If it's any consolation, there are a few actions that can be executed by you and others with similar concerns. Continue to contribute to these forums by posting responsibly. Moderating in the near future and broadening the moderator perspective. Perhaps starting your own forum or even publishing as a back up. Ultimately any given philosophy website is trivial. What matters in the end is that we all continue learning. That does not absolutely require this or any website.

I don't know all the mods well at this point. I know Scott well, the original admin, as far as internet relationships go. He could be a cyborg for all I know. In my experience, both personally and witnessed, he's reasonable, tolerant and transparent.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

wanabe wrote:Nick_A,

You're absolutely right. Unless a large collective of responsible individuals shares the moderation labor, things can't even begin to resemble objectivity.

As a matter of business. Currently, do you think a certain group of moderators or individual moderator is advocating blind hatred of ideas and using their moderator power to enhance the impact of that hatred? If so, can you provide direct material evidence of this? This personally concerns me.

If it's any consolation, there are a few actions that can be executed by you and others with similar concerns. Continue to contribute to these forums by posting responsibly. Moderating in the near future and broadening the moderator perspective. Perhaps starting your own forum or even publishing as a back up. Ultimately any given philosophy website is trivial. What matters in the end is that we all continue learning. That does not absolutely require this or any website.

I don't know all the mods well at this point. I know Scott well, the original admin, as far as internet relationships go. He could be a cyborg for all I know. In my experience, both personally and witnessed, he's reasonable, tolerant and transparent.
I wasn't referring to this site. My most recent experience with partially supported cliques promoting blind denial and as a result blind hatred was with a site called Philosophy Now. That is why I left it. A philosophy site IMO should reflect the concept of the Socratic dialogue. Not enough want it. An influential minority prefer to seek and destroy in the attempt to bolster their prestige. Good moderation IMO promotes the Socratic dialogue on boards advocating philosophy.

I'll give you an example. I began a thread on music of a special type. the clique quickly got a hold of it making it useless. I asked the mod to remove it. The mod locked it as a symbol that the clique had won. If the mod would have removed the thread in respect to my efforts and in respect for the topic it would have been the objective thing to do. Locking it just means the effort to destroy had won. Let the enemy witness the corpses. Sick stuff.

The hardest concept to moderate IMO is religious philosophy. Iife's experiences for atheists have been such that blindly seeking and destroying religious concepts as opposed to understanding them has become a virtual cause célèbre. They feel justified in destruction. An unfortunate part of human nature.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

wanabe wrote:Nick_A,

Wanabe, please leave me to do this aspect of moderating. You are out of your depth and I don't need lazy good-for-nothing so-called "moderators" with almost zero work output trying to undermine me.

You approved ten posts the other day (with some mistakes) - and that's after I forgot that you were even a mod, so absent you have been from the moderator logs. Ten posts out of hundreds of approved posts by me this year. Never mind my dealing with complaints about other members and reports, edits and moderating errant members. Yet you judge my "professionalism" in this unpaid labour of love?

I don't expect thanks. I don't expect credit. However, I DO expect at least some help from my mod team, and certainly not for my shiftless "helpers" to make my work even harder. The most important aspect of "professionalism" is actually doing work. Try it. You might even like it.

Nick_A wrote:I wasn't referring to this site.
Really? Then why make such a bitter complaint here? There was only ever going to be one target since I have done well over 90% of the moderating this year. Usually I'm stuck doing closer to 70-80%, but that doesn't stop some of my "helpers" from trying to undermine me.
Nick_A wrote:I began a thread on music of a special type. the clique quickly got a hold of it making it useless. I asked the mod to remove it. The mod locked it as a symbol that the clique had won. If the mod would have removed the thread in respect to my efforts and in respect for the topic it would have been the objective thing to do. Locking it just means the effort to destroy had won. Let the enemy witness the corpses.
That other forum has nothing to do with this one. It operates with minimum moderation and is thus a tougher place to be. I had a similar problem where a wildly abusive member was basically using the forum to promote his political ideas. I got no satisfaction and the moderating ended up favouring the wrongdoer. Why? It was not because of the mods' beliefs - they just did what they thought was quickest, cleanest and easiest.

Meanwhile, you did get to have your religious music thread here, from memory, and all went well. In fact, I think we two chatted pleasantly for a while on that very thread.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta, a simple question was asked: what happens to a philosophy when not moderated iwith respect to the intent of philosophy and respect to its members to set an example? I answered that I know by experience that it deteriorates. Cliques are formed to oppose intruders with ideas unacceptable to the clique. Once it was proven on that site that it is the way mods and abusive members want it and will be victorious, there is simply no point in remaining. I appreciate Scott's intent and have told him so.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sure Nick, but it would have saved some grief if you made clear that you were speaking about another forum, and that this forum is fine in that regard ATM. I enjoy the usual relative calm on this forum but the other one offers more freedom. Swings and roundabouts.

Whatever, since I'm doing almost all the work at the forum and usually moderate gently I see no valid grounds for others (who do nothing) to criticise. I do see valid grounds for responsible people without any agenda or hard ideology to volunteer to help. In the last round of recruitment about a dozen bright-eyed forum newbs, stimulated by their early forum interactions, volunteered to moderate. Then, as must happen on these forums, they ran into stern opposition to whatever ideas they especially cherished. Bruised by the encounters, the forum lost its gloss and they left.

Maybe they expected extra politeness or respect because they are a mod? Hardly! On a philosophy forum you have numerous fiercely independent thinkers who would not for a moment consider appealing to authority. Logical fallacy #1. Authority in philosophy is akin to a waved rag to a bull :)

Forums can help us practice being less precious, insecure and rigid in our positions, and to articulate thoughts ever more clearly and dispassionately. That's what it did for me, anyway. So why the retreats? In some cases it seemed that the fleeing fledgling mods saw the forum as a vehicle of influence, where their big ideas could be aired and tested. Yet, when people showed no interest in their ideas they left, perhaps figuring there is no point. Not mod material. Live and learn.

What people forget is that almost every single person you will interact with on these forums is actually a "good person", someone who just wants to lead a good life, wanting the best for their families and friends, for humanity and the world in general. Just that we have different ideas as to how to get there.

I made that very common error of chronic distrust online for years until the penny dropped. Everyone has a unique perspective and understands some things in life that no one else does; so they all have something worthwhile to add to humanity's exponentially growing store of ideas, even if it's just regurgitation/reinforcement of others' ideas. If a person's post seems crazed or wicked, don't jump to the very most uncharitable interpretation. Chances are that if you sincerely try to understand what the "crazy" person is saying with the assumption that they ultimately mean well, then your interpretations of their meaning is more likely to be correct. Consider: what are they really trying to get across? What idea do they most want acknowledged and explored?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta, when a philosophy site like [name removed] encourages attack, it is contagious and prevents others from experiencing the value of listening and consequently, the value of philosophy. Why listen to another when it is more fun and satisfying to just blindly attack what is perceived? Feed the Christians to the lions. Burn the atheists at the stake. It sounds like fun but is it really?

You know the nastiness that always takes place on 9name removed] with the topic of abortion. There is no exchange taking place because there is no attempt to understand the other side or respect the person on the other side. Just kill or be killed. This isn’t either natural or necessary but it feels good.

Jacob Needleman describes an alternative. People may still disagree but at least they lose the urge to kill. Would a thread ever be possible where the person supporting abortion describes the opposing side to their satisfaction? At the same time the person against abortion would describe the opposing beliefs to their satisfaction as Prof. Needleman describes. I know it would never happen on Philosophy Now. The joy of attack at all costs is of primary importance and anything else would be considered disruptive. Without proper moderation this site would suffer the same fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSOs4ti0sm0
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick, if you don't wish to deal with the rough and tumble, don't presume that you have the right to control another person's body. It's one thing to be inflamed, another to be inflammatory.

It's like school. One student pinches another but the victim who complains gets in bother. In that particular thread, you were doing the "pinching" by tactlessly and uncompromisingly demanding control over women's bodies once they are impregnated, and then you judged your "victims" for overreacting. In that case you were the main provocateur, refusing to understand how women might find men demanding control over their bodies to be threatening.

The rights of a piece of nerveless protoplasm should be that of other kinds of nerveless protoplasm, not of adult women.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote:Nick, if you don't wish to deal with the rough and tumble, don't presume that you have the right to control another person's body. It's one thing to be inflamed, another to be inflammatory.

It's like school. One student pinches another but the victim who complains gets in bother. In that particular thread, you were doing the "pinching" by tactlessly and uncompromisingly demanding control over women's bodies once they are impregnated, and then you judged your "victims" for overreacting. In that case you were the main provocateur, refusing to understand how women might find men demanding control over their bodies to be threatening.

The rights of a piece of nerveless protoplasm should be that of other kinds of nerveless protoplasm, not of adult women.
You missed the point. In respect to Prof. Needleman's experiment, would I be able to explain your opinion on abortion with the logic and emotion that would satisfy you? Would you be able to explain my opinion on abortion in a way that communicates the logic and emotion of my opinion? Do you see how far we are from it? People are like this which is why understanding is impossible and how easily it leads to hostility?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, but when the opinions with which you disagree are ones you have heard repeated endlessly for decades, why bother with their repetition? Life's too short IMO. This forum is not work - it should be stimulating and a joy, not a matter of ploughing through old stuff. Besides, there is no possibility of compromise or mutual understanding when one party subscribes to a religious dogma. All of the giving must be done by one side and, again, life's too short to waste on that.

Meanwhile, this year 1081 moderation actions have been performed so far.

788 have of these were done by me and 141 were done by the other Admin.

Aside from Scott doing a few things, the remaining 148 actions were performed by a team of one actual moderator who did 88 of those actions, and another ten faux-moderators who managed to scratch out the remaining 61 actions between them. Maybe it's time to review mod status of the "team"?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote:Yes, but when the opinions with which you disagree are ones you have heard repeated endlessly for decades, why bother with their repetition? Life's too short IMO. This forum is not work - it should be stimulating and a joy, not a matter of ploughing through old stuff. Besides, there is no possibility of compromise or mutual understanding when one party subscribes to a religious dogma. All of the giving must be done by one side and, again, life's too short to waste on that.

Meanwhile, this year 1081 moderation actions have been performed so far.

788 have of these were done by me and 141 were done by the other Admin.

Aside from Scott doing a few things, the remaining 148 actions were performed by a team of one actual moderator who did 88 of those actions, and another ten faux-moderators who managed to scratch out the remaining 61 actions between them. Maybe it's time to review mod status of the "team"?
You explain well one reason why people do not understand one another. For example you actually think you understand my attitude towards abortion. You don't. This is what makes Prof. Needleman's experiment so interesting. it gives the young the experience of their ignorance. Of course in these tiimes whern spirit killing is considered a noble goal, understanding is unimportant. The institutions will tell you what to think. Yet some lucky ones will experience there is far more to understaning then what is politically correct. That is why philosophy sites have degraded into vehicles for shouting down others. Understanding has become secondary to suppression and sadly some mods serve to support these efforts on Philosophy Now.
-1-

Post by -1- »

My intent in raising this issue in the opening post was twofold:

1. To point at what Greta and Nick AGREE on, which is the imminent danger of possible and potential deterioration of the site to shouting matches, cliques and rouge moderation. (Due to lack of any or of proper moderation)

2. To point at what most of us haven't realized, but I was pre-worried about, which is, that Greta is overworked and under-rewarded. She seems to be the last moderator of positive momentum on the site. From what I read, between the lines, is that Scott is not interested any more on its smooth running; the other moderators, which are numerous, do not do anything on the site other than the occasional flare-up of doing some good work.

And I am guilty of making one of the one-time active moderators cross by criticizing his or her response to my plea of needing some authority to decide arguments, which I said at the time had to be the proper application of logic.

I can even explain why mods leave. I have to admit, the site is not very exciting over the long run. (This is a completely independent point from moderator action.) The topics are the same, then they repeat themselves: God, free will, abortion, Big Bang, Solipsism or its opposite, gon control, determinism, and actual daily items from the news. I may have missed some other obvious ones. I sometimes find myself in a creative mood, sometimes don't. The site gets overly boring on the long run, and it's not little surprise, that mods stay away or become inactive after a while.

The only solution I can see is naming some more mods, fresh blood, people keen on doing the job, until they get tired of it, and then getting some more new blood.

The only OTHER solution I see to retain the remaining mods or mod from falling off the wagon, so to speak, is to reward her. I don't know what reward she could need, or we could offer her, as a community. I, speaking for myself, am very grateful that Greta keeps on doing what she does, and she does a good job, in my esteem. And she is relatively fast, and she is studious and diligent.

So we must elect some more mods, or however the mod selection works.

One thing is for sure: this very thread I started was in aim of relieving Greta of too much work, and to shake up the people and let them know that the site is in danger of continuing in the fashion that it was mandated. Much like Greta.

(I am sure she has done some man-dating in her time.)
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream