Publishing Philosophy

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Burning ghost

Publishing Philosophy

Post by Burning ghost » June 18th, 2017, 4:52 am

I am looking for information on how/where to send philosophical essays? Journals and such?

Anyone any clue?
AKA badgerjelly

-1-

Re: Publishing Philosophy

Post by -1- » June 18th, 2017, 11:13 am

colyvandotcomslashpublishingdotpdf

This is a very good write-up on the process, and it DOES mention quite a few respected journals by name.

-- Updated 2017 June 18th, 11:22 am to add the following --

https://philosophy.cas2.lehigh.edu/cont ... hy-journal
"You can always live without a lover, but you can't love without a liver."

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 » June 18th, 2017, 4:03 pm

From the American Philosophical Association:

apaonline.org/general/recommended_links ... p?cc=33093

One nice feature is that it includes a list of questionable, possibly predatory, publishers.

I recommend that you find copies of any journal you are considering to see what type of issues they are addressing and quality of papers.

-1-

Post by -1- » June 19th, 2017, 5:51 am

Fooloso4 wrote: I recommend that you find copies of any journal you are considering to see what type of issues they are addressing and quality of papers.
I agree with you, Fooloso4, it is true in every kind of publishing effort to know your ground, because only fertile ground will let you plant your ideas there, and not every publication is fertile for every piece of article. This is true in any genre: news, analysis, fiction, science, philosophy.

Although I recognize the usefulness of reading, inasmuch as it makes you acquire knowledge, I detest reading (and hence, am unsuccessful in publishing) because reading stifles thinking, it represses your brain wave frequency, and it is very, very, very, very boring to do.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » June 26th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Reading is boring? And you're on a philosophy forum? I am confused :S
AKA badgerjelly

-1-

Post by -1- » June 26th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Ha. I actually pride myself of figuring things out for myself, by my own thinking; I am proud of not having knowledge learned from books, but from my own very thinking as a source.

I read posts, but between you and me (this is a secret so please don't spread it), I don't read posts of more than four medium-length paragraphs.

Exceptions may occur when it's a response in a heated debate in which I am a participant.

Also, I skim most long posts, I don't read them. Most people write much more many words than needed, a trained eye can filter out the content without careful reading, in some cases.