How much of your dreams and life goals have come true?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
-1-

How much of your dreams and life goals have come true?

Post by -1- »

Of mice and men.

You were young once, or still are. You had hopes, you had desires, you had plans, you had dreams.

How many of your dreams have come true? Do you think your life has been fulfilling?

How many of your dreams came through that you had to work for, and how many that are beyond your control?

How many good things happened to you that you hadn't counted on, and do they balance out your unfulfilled expectations earlier in your life?

Make your story as short or as long as you like. You can view and deal with the issue philosophically, religiously (I won't put up an argument this time) or from a personal psychologial point of view. You can be as personal or as general as you like (no descriptions of explicit violence, sex, or criminal or terror acts, please.)

This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
LuckyR

Re: How much of your dreams and life goals have come true?

Post by LuckyR »

Well, when I was young I had professional goals and relationship goals. I needed to have a certain level of training to meet my professional goals, which took away a portion of my recreational opportunities, but being a "work hard, play hard" type of personality helped me maximize my limited time. Ultimately I met my professional goals in title and later entered a very fulfilling and rewarding professional partnership situation. Through this I had a somewhat delayed but robust relationship life.

Later upon completion of my family I was pretty much sitting on top of the world as far as my original goals were concerned. In more recent times as both my professional position and my nuclear family are moving into the latter stages of their natural lifetimes, I can see where others have midlife crises. Luckily for me, my professional life is essentially immune to that, though no one can escape the upheaval of the breakup of the nuclear family as kids move away and the role of parent moves from a care giver to an advice giver (assuming that you enjoy that sort of thing, which you should).

I am currently at a point where how the future will work out is much less certain than at any other time in the last 30 years. Again I have no worries professionally, the personal side is what I am speaking of. The saving grace is that if I look at the worst (realistic) case scenario. I have several side options that will blunt if not eliminate the worst aspects, so I can use that to keep optimistic moving forward.
"As usual... it depends."
-1-

Post by -1- »

Wonderful, LuckyR. Your name befits your life story, although to be more complete, it ought to be extended to be "LuckyAndHardworkingR".

Thanks for sharing.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Interesting story from LuckyR there.

On balance, I would say that most of my dreams and life goals have not come true. The two primary reasons for this are laziness, procrastination and unrealistic and excessively vague expectations. The three/four primary reasons.

The main exception to this is that I did manage to persuade someone to have children with me. That's a life goal achieved.

Like many people, I suspect, when I was younger I had the vague, non-specific notion that at some point I would achieve something fantastic in a creative field and be invited onto chat shows to be asked by the host, with awe, how on Earth I come up with my groundbreaking and original ideas. As William Shatner said in his song called "It Hasn't Happened Yet": it hasn't happened yet. There was always an infinite amount of time for this to happen, until suddenly there wasn't. For a few years I had a job writing software that I believed to be creative and groundbreaking in the field of education until the software company I was working for went bust. And more recently, a couple of years back, I went freelance reviving the same general concept, partly in collaboration with the former CEO of the company that went bust. That, for me, was the closest I've come so far to "living the dream", in terms of my career at least. My current job (still in software design) is not so interesting to me but it pays the bills. I have vague plans to get back into the more creative stuff in the near future but so far have been too lazy and procrastinatory, and have been too pre-occupied by other personal issues, to make it happen.

My main goal is to convince myself that, despite now being older than most people are when they've reached the pinnacle of their powers, it's never too late. That way I can fool myself that it can still happen right up until the deathbed and have only a brief moment of disappointment just before the grave.
Vivek7
New Trial Member

Post by Vivek7 »

A few of my goals, ,dreams, aspirations have come true and most of what I dream of were blown away and they never came true for I never could work to make them come true. I am aware of my limitations and I cannot transcend these boundaries of myself and thus I therefore could not scale the summit I always I aspired to. But I am not disappointed for I know my reality and limitations. Dreaming big is not bad and dreaming big itself is a joy for me. Whenever I am all alone I get lost in an imagination and in my imagination I become a rich person and own something I could not have in reality. Life is like that. Most of my life is spent thinking about great things yet at the end of the day I retreat to or at least have to return to my reality where my smallness waits for me.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

While I can attest that it is great (and efficient) to get a lot of personal fulfillment out of what you do for a living, it is clearly not required. There is nothing wrong with getting compensated well from a position of limited emotional value and getting that from a non-compensated activity performed off of work hours, say weekends.

If given a choice between physical items and experiences, spend on the latter. Also as I tell by daughter, it isn't what you do (for fun), it's who you're doing it with. Invest in great people/relationships.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Some of my goals came true, some never materialized, and I scored some goals without attempting to score or aiming at them.

I was helped by incredibly strong support in getting ahead in my life by others.

Goals that came true: Never married, had no kids, lived a somewhat promiscuous lifestyle. This was important for me.

Goal that never materialized: becoming rich and famous through my writings.

Goal that I hadn't aimed at, yet it served me greatly: the love of music, and having a sentimental mind to which learning and solving puzzles comes easily.

Goal that I had taken for granted, but was snatched from me: Happiness. Loss occurred due to my mother's early and untimely death, largely, and due to ensuing mental diseases

Things that I am lucky never to have had as goals: having money and power, and through them, influence;

Things I always admired in others, but hadn't realized until late that I have this, too: the ability to reason, which gives me power and influence

Things I regret: making my friend Paul Spenser turn away from me

Things I did right: always, always when I did not say something I really wanted to say, played to my HUGE advantage.

Things I had an ambition for and came true: learning English well as a second language.

Things I had an ambition for and came somewhat true, but below my own level of expectation: dating really beautiful women of the higher social classes, erudite, soft-skinned, lithe blondes with willowy figures and rich upbringing in large numbers.

Things I had an ambition for and I flopped totally: loving a woman with my heart. I identify with the emotion as I hear it in songs, and see it in movies, and write it in stories, and feel it coming toward me by some women, but personally, I failed to find the woman to whom I could sing with true heart those love songs that move me with incredible force.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

-1- wrote:Of mice and men.
How many of your dreams have come true?
I remember once, when I was a kid, dreaming that I was very old. It sure made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when that one came true.
Vivek7
New Trial Member

Post by Vivek7 »

My dream is to be something as the rest of dreamers do have, to be something and to get the most of the universe, to possess what the planet earth offers and there is no limit to it as to how much I want to possess until I can deplete everything of this earth. My dreams go on at the expense of the rest for I want to amass huge assets and store huge amounts of food items and work towards starving the rest with no thing to eat. This planet is too small for our greed and very big for out needs. Our greed is swallowing everything of this planet making it bereft of the vitality it has for the sustenance of life and regeneration.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Vivek7 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 10:52 am My dream is to be something as the rest of dreamers do have, to be something and to get the most of the universe, to possess what the planet earth offers and there is no limit to it as to how much I want to possess until I can deplete everything of this earth. My dreams go on at the expense of the rest for I want to amass huge assets and store huge amounts of food items and work towards starving the rest with no thing to eat. This planet is too small for our greed and very big for out needs. Our greed is swallowing everything of this planet making it bereft of the vitality it has for the sustenance of life and regeneration.
Welcome to America

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream