Does the devil haunt philosophy discussion websites?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Does the devil haunt philosophy discussion websites?

Post by Steve3007 » September 15th, 2017, 5:34 pm

I've sometimes thought that a good idea for a novel or a movie would be that the devil visits places like this and taunts people with his (or her) seductive arguments against the existence of God and seduces them to the dark side. The ethereal or ghost-like quality of interactions on websites, where you're never quite sure that those words you see on the screen are the genuine product of another human mind, seems to lend itself to this idea.

Any thoughts? Good idea? Boring and formulaic? Already been done?

LuckyR

Re: Does the devil haunt philosophy discussion websites?

Post by LuckyR » September 23rd, 2017, 6:10 pm

Steve3007 wrote:I've sometimes thought that a good idea for a novel or a movie would be that the devil visits places like this and taunts people with his (or her) seductive arguments against the existence of God and seduces them to the dark side. The ethereal or ghost-like quality of interactions on websites, where you're never quite sure that those words you see on the screen are the genuine product of another human mind, seems to lend itself to this idea.

Any thoughts? Good idea? Boring and formulaic? Already been done?
Not done exactly like that, to my knowledge. Great idea though. Unfortunately, for a mass media audience you'd have to make it a different type of electronic media, since no one uses Internet Forums anymore (present company excluded).
"As usual... it depends."

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » September 27th, 2017, 11:48 am

Unfortunately, for a mass media audience you'd have to make it a different type of electronic media, since no one uses Internet Forums anymore (present company excluded).
Good point. I probably need to get more down with the kids and switch to some different medium. Snapchat or whatever. (Is that a thing?)

(I tried using that expression with my own kids the other day and they quite rightly pointed out that merely using the expression "down with the kids" demonstrates, if nothing else does, that I am not, in fact, down with that particular group of people.)

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » September 28th, 2017, 4:16 am

Steve3007 wrote:
Unfortunately, for a mass media audience you'd have to make it a different type of electronic media, since no one uses Internet Forums anymore (present company excluded).
Good point. I probably need to get more down with the kids and switch to some different medium. Snapchat or whatever. (Is that a thing?)

(I tried using that expression with my own kids the other day and they quite rightly pointed out that merely using the expression "down with the kids" demonstrates, if nothing else does, that I am not, in fact, down with that particular group of people.)
But really, why would you want to? (be down with the kids?) They should be trying to emulate us.
"As usual... it depends."

Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock » October 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Steve3007 wrote: Any thoughts?
Yes, I have recently encountered an evil presence on a discussion website. It didn't occur to me at the time that it may be the Devil but now you've got me thinking.

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » October 16th, 2017, 2:32 am

Fantastic name Albert. One of the greatest Coronation Street characters. Makes me wish I'd called myself Ena Sharples.

Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock » October 16th, 2017, 2:53 am

Steve3007 wrote:Fantastic name Albert. One of the greatest Coronation Street characters.
Yes, it's our similarity in temperament that inspired the choice.

Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock » October 16th, 2017, 3:04 am

Steve3007 wrote:
Good point. I probably need to get more down with the kids and switch to some different medium. Snapchat or whatever.
The tweeting demon? An extra twist to the story could be that the demon was also the President of the US, or would that require a bit too much suspension of disbelief?