Would you live in Medieval Times

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Maxcady10001

Would you live in Medieval Times

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I recently read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and in the book a man time travels to the sixth century. and once there, he uses his knowledge of history and modern technology to become The Boss, or a wizard that holds an important position in their sixth century system. He is able to invent guns and the telephone, and at one point he challenges 500 knights with only two pistols. He does, in the book, what myself and many others imagine doing. So if you could go back in time, which period would you travel to, and would you attempt to conquer the people of the time? Also, do you believe you would have enough modern knowledge to conquer them? Assume you cannot bring anything with you, and everything you do is temporary, you cannot make any permanent changes to history.
If this kind of post has been done before, just ignore it.
Here is a link to a free pdf of the book if the idea interests you.

http://pinkmonkey.com/dl/library1/digi038.pdf
LuckyR

Re: Would you live in Medieval Times

Post by LuckyR »

I would go back to 1988 and spend a few extra days with my dad
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Maxcady10001 wrote:He does, in the book, what myself and many others imagine doing.
Shooting 500 knights?
Assume you cannot bring anything with you, and everything you do is temporary, you cannot make any permanent changes to history.
Can you take any memories with you? If so, I suppose I'd take with me the memory of six numbers and a date.

If you can't make any permanent changes to history, surely that stops you from doing anything at all, due to the whole interconnectedness thing? Remember that episode of The Simpsons where Homer goes back in time, accidentally steps on a dragonfly and when he gets back he finds that donuts were never invented? Nightmare.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Yeah you can bring your memory. I guess if a person could time travel they could think of much better things to do, like visiting loved ones or playing the lottery. Whoever came up with the idea for the lottery, or running numbers, is the greatest genius to ever live.
I thought if you couldn't make any permanent changes, it would give you the go ahead to do anything, because no matter what you do, everything would go back to the way it was originally.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Apart from my flippant answer about taking lottery numbers back in time, and taking onboard your idea of everything being temporary, so I don't need to worry about wiping out the collective human knowledge of how to make donuts:

It is interestingly difficult to imagine what advantage I might have over the locals if all I have is the knowledge that currently exists in my brain, and I'm not allowed to do any research before I go. I can't even remember the recipe for gunpowder. A knowledge of computer programming languages and the words to various songs and TV advertising jingles wouldn't impress them much, I suspect.

Of course, if I was incredibly lucky and went back to a point in time just before I know a solar eclipse is about to happen, then I could do the old "look! I'm a god who can cause the Sun to be eaten by a monster! Get down on your knees and worship me (within the next 2 and a half minutes) and I'll consider giving it back!" routine. But that's a long shot.

Failing that, I think I can remember the recipe for Victoria sponge. Perhaps I could impress them by baking a cake.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I think I could introduce them to some modern food. Hamburgers, french fries, bacon (I don't think they had bacon in the 6th century), fajitas, pizza. All really simple to make, you just tweak what they already have.
Besides this, since I can already read and write, I could probably learn Latin in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe I could even teach them to write in English. I would know more about economic and business principles than anyone at that time (at least I think I would). So I might be able to earn quite a bit. I could also the little bit I know of game theory and modern strategic thinking to be of some use in warfare (but they would never put me in charge of their army, I don't know how to use a sword or a lance.) I would also bring hygiene to the table. Wash your hands after using the bathroom, brush your teeth (though it would have to be without toothpaste), and take showers daily.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I don't think the health benefits of hygiene would be immediate or obvious enough to convince them to make you their king or anything. And I don't think the application of modern business principles would be relevant enough. You'd struggle to get them to see the genius of the supermarket loyalty card system, for example.

The food seems to me to be your best shot. See if you can establish yourself as the world's first celebrity chef.
Scribbler60

Post by Scribbler60 »

Maxcady10001 wrote: December 11th, 2017, 11:36 pmSo if you could go back in time, which period would you travel to
I happen to be of the belief that we're living in the finest age of humanity. Science, technology, exploration, modern medicine, the shrinking of religion... all added up, it makes for a pretty spectacular time to be alive.

To be sure, there are downsides: trump and nationalism, environmental degradation, climate change, violent fundamentalism, anti-intellectualism.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't go back very far, nor would I want to change societies because I'd be concerned about the "law of unintended consequences" (read this PDF, A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury for a good look at how a small historical change might impact life.)

No, I'd go back to 1969, February, in the moment before I stepped off the curb and got hit by a car. I'd wait just three seconds longer. Had I done that, I wouldn't be in pain every day since then.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

I guess I would like to see with my own eyes how it was like in the medieval times but I have to say, I'd miss the banal things we use today that would be considered a luxury in those times.
Just to think about the simple diseases we can treat with paracetamol for example, would be deadly in those times makes me ponder if I really wanted to live in those times.
This sort of reminds me the show westworld... Maybe only in those circumstances I'd live in the medieval times.
Warden Majere
New Trial Member

Post by Warden Majere »

I would introduce psylocibin (spelling?) Mushrooms and the smoking of marijuanna to midievil european culture. Odd, but my all time biggest fantasy is to take a bunch of shrroms with a king, or the pope during this time period. Maybe even tell them that is the manner in which you truly communicate with God, just to see how they take it. It would be even more fun to bring my cell phone, and amaze them with our moving pictures and seemingly endless amount of information at our fingertips.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Warden:

I very much like your idea of introducing medieval kings to recreational drugs and seeing if you can convince them that those drugs give you some kind of private channel to the almighty. But I think your idea of taking a cell phone back there and showing them the wonders of the internet has a fatal flaw. There wouldn't be any internet. If you asked the king for the WiFi code of the router he keeps in his castle I don't think you'd get very far. And after approximately one day the cell phone would be a small uninteresting plastic brick.
Warden Majere
New Trial Member

Post by Warden Majere »

Steve:

I thought about the internet thing, and that's why I would download plenty of content before hand. You are right however, that this wouldn't be impressive for long... "Your Grace, where is the closest wall outlet? I'm afraid my phone has died.." Drugs though. The novelty would never wear off there! Watching Nepoleon loose his marbles on 3 hits of LSD would be fullfilling enough that I wouldn't even mind my subsequent execution.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

:lol:

If you took a diesel generator with you perhaps you could run it on bio-diesel and use it to charge your phone? I guess the storage capacity of the latest micro-SD cards that fit in phones would mean that you could probably download quite a lot of stuff to take with you. Perhaps take a few several TB external USB hard drives too. And make sure it's an Android phone so you can plug them in.
Warden Majere
New Trial Member

Post by Warden Majere »

Steve,

At th end of the day, I am just glad that I am not the only one that has given way too much thought to this particular idea hahaha! Could you imagine their reaction to dubstep? Pulling out that bluetooth speaker would be my last act before being hauled off to a witch trial.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Warden Majere wrote: January 30th, 2018, 5:25 am Steve,

At th end of the day, I am just glad that I am not the only one that has given way too much thought to this particular idea hahaha! Could you imagine their reaction to dubstep? Pulling out that bluetooth speaker would be my last act before being hauled off to a witch trial.
Probably not as dramatic as your reaction to lunch.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream