Different things

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Maxcady10001

Different things

Post by Maxcady10001 » December 13th, 2017, 11:57 am

Does anyone else feel as though they can never be surprised when encountering a new person? I don't believe I can be surprised anymore. Every personality, even if others consider it unusual, seems typical to me.

LuckyR

Re: Different things

Post by LuckyR » December 14th, 2017, 3:30 am

Depends on what surprises you. If hearing about a new outlook surprises you, you'll be suprised every so often. OTOH, if something unimaginable is what it takes, then surprise is going to be rare to non-existent.
"As usual... it depends."

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » December 14th, 2017, 4:03 am

It also depends on how you go about sizing people up; assessing their personalities. If you're the kind of person who feels a need to place people in personality categories then you may simply seek to do that as quickly as possible. You may simply find what you were looking for because that's all you were looking for. I heard a lovely rumour that Bette Midler had a tumour. Or, on the other hand, maybe you're right and people are not particularly variable. It's interesting to wonder if somewhere in the world of 7+ billion people there's someone who might have precisely the same personality as our own. Unlikely, given the number of possibilities.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea." - Eric Cantona.

Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 » December 18th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Doesn't it become more probable that we will find a personality exactly like our own when we consider great numbers of people? If we look at a billion people, and then 7 billion people, isn't it more likely we will find a personality like our own in the 7 billion? What if we consider every person who has ever lived, does it become more likely?