Favorite recent philosophers?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
StayCurious

Favorite recent philosophers?

Post by StayCurious » February 17th, 2018, 11:17 pm

I'm curious as to some of y'all's (yes, I'm from the south) favorite philosophers that are more recent? "Recent" being defined as no earlier than the turn of the 20th century.

Some of my personal favorites include Alan Watts and Ram Dass. If you haven't read anything by them or heard any of there lectures, I greatly recommend it. I would describe their work to be "wording the unwordable."

Thank you, may you have peace.

Big Boss
New Trial Member

Re: Favorite recent philosophers?

Post by Big Boss » March 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

I did a university (college to you, good person) paper on Metaphysics last year and was quite taken by Derek Parfit's ideas on personal identity. I haven't read a Parfit book fully but do intend to, but I would still list him as my favourite recent philosopher for the lack of anyone else I have really read. His approach to personal identity really hit me hard and got me thinking. I think research for the essay I did on his views will leave a lasting effect on my own philosophical views.
I haven't read or heard anything by the two people listed and will look into it. I am meaning to know a bit more about recent and currently still active philosophy.

Vivek7
New Trial Member

Post by Vivek7 » March 24th, 2018, 9:43 am

Among the modern living philosophers I am highly influenced by Thomas Nagel and particularly by his “Philosophy of mind”. He argues for consciousness and subjective experience. His widely known article “ what is it Like to Be a Bat” has something of a subjective character, that means a being has something, mental that feels who it is and only it feels who it is and since it is a subjective state or approach it is not measurable or ascribable from an objective standpoint.

Some aspects of us are not easily observable or analyzable and that to understand what a particular organism is one has to be in the state of the organism and it is impossible.

Namelesss

Post by Namelesss » March 30th, 2018, 11:08 pm

StayCurious wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 11:17 pm
I'm curious as to some of y'all's (yes, I'm from the south) favorite philosophers that are more recent? "Recent" being defined as no earlier than the turn of the 20th century.

Some of my personal favorites include Alan Watts and Ram Dass. If you haven't read anything by them or heard any of there lectures, I greatly recommend it. I would describe their work to be "wording the unwordable."

Thank you, may you have peace.
I am my favorite philosopher! *__-
(I do appreciate your faves, by the way! Be Here Now!)
Otherwise, without 'being/experiencing/Knowing it (philosophical thought)', it is like picking a 'favorite' flavor derived from a list of other people's descriptions of the flavors.

philojoe
New Trial Member

Post by philojoe » April 26th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Sean Goonan is the only philosopher that matters right now. He wrote "The Foundation for Exploration".