Time Travel

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
MrE
New Trial Member

Time Travel

Post by MrE »

Just wanted to start a general discussion on time travel and everyone's theories or opinions on all topics regarding this - including, but not limited to paradoxes, possibilities, application, favorite time travel movies, etc.
ThomasHobbes

Re: Time Travel

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Time travel is unidirectional.
You can change the speed in which you travel forwards in time, but can NEVER go backwards.
The future is not a place you can visit. The future is a thing you move towards continually.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

It seems to me that time travel is not possible, because time does not exist, outside of a concept. All that there was in the past, is right here right now and all that will be, is right here right now. If you could travel at the speed of light and look at the earth, it would have the same effect as a photograph, there would be no movement and the light would appear to be frozen. When we look a light from a distant galaxy, it takes many light years to get here, so it could be said that we are looking into the past, but the reality is, we are seeing the light which is right here right now.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Looper (Bruce Willis)

I also like all the repeat-this-day movies (Groundhog, Edge of Tomorrow, Happy Death Day), but not sure if those count.

It's all a crock of course, so fiction is wide open to it.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Present awareness wrote: June 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm It seems to me that time travel is not possible, because time does not exist, outside of a concept. All that there was in the past, is right here right now and all that will be, is right here right now. If you could travel at the speed of light and look at the earth, it would have the same effect as a photograph, there would be no movement and the light would appear to be frozen. When we look a light from a distant galaxy, it takes many light years to get here, so it could be said that we are looking into the past, but the reality is, we are seeing the light which is right here right now.
When you discard time, don't speed and motion fall away as well? How does anything else you said make sense after you give up on time (travel, speed, speed of light, light years)?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Present awareness

chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 7:03 am
Present awareness wrote: June 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm It seems to me that time travel is not possible, because time does not exist, outside of a concept. All that there was in the past, is right here right now and all that will be, is right here right now. If you could travel at the speed of light and look at the earth, it would have the same effect as a photograph, there would be no movement and the light would appear to be frozen. When we look a light from a distant galaxy, it takes many light years to get here, so it could be said that we are looking into the past, but the reality is, we are seeing the light which is right here right now.
When you discard time, don't speed and motion fall away as well? How does anything else you said make sense after you give up on time (travel, speed, speed of light, light years)?
I would not discard time, it is a very useful concept! I just don’t believe it is possible to travel through a concept.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 7:30 am I would not discard time, it is a very useful concept! I just don’t believe it is possible to travel through a concept.
Well, perhaps I took "time does not exist" out of context, but you did say that. Don't you travel distances, and isn't distance just a concept, no more or less real or measurable than time? None of the other concepts you are using seem to be more or less valid than time.

Didn't I just travel through time as I typed this reply?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Present awareness

chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 8:01 am
Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 7:30 am I would not discard time, it is a very useful concept! I just don’t believe it is possible to travel through a concept.
Well, perhaps I took "time does not exist" out of context, but you did say that. Don't you travel distances, and isn't distance just a concept, no more or less real or measurable than time? None of the other concepts you are using seem to be more or less valid than time.

It was the present moment when you read this, it was the present moment when you typed it and it is still the present moment. If you think about it, you will realize that there was never a time in your life when it wasn’t the present moment. When I walk down a road, the path ahead of me is not the future, it is also in the present moment and the path behind me is not the past, it is also still in the present. Looking at where I was or where I’m going may be thought of as past or future, but the reality is, we may never escape this present moment.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 7:30 amI would not discard time, it is a very useful concept! I just don’t believe it is possible to travel through a concept.
The time in physics is not just a concept. Neither velocity nor the concept of velocity is the amount of distance per a concept.
chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 8:01 amDon't you travel distances, and isn't distance just a concept, no more or less real or measurable than time?

Depends on definitions, and Present awareness seems to define everything as a concept, seemingly a way to bail out of the question without answering it.

Typically the temporal realists say that the flow of time is real, a subjective view of time. It is a 3D model of space, and things move through it (as you do when you type). You travel more 'with' time than through it, since it is not a substance or dimension through which travel can take place. 'Travel' sort of implies something to which you can opt out. I can choose not to travel to the past, so it would be travel if I had that option. I cannot choose to halt the flow of time, so it isn't really travel when 2017 became 2018.

Physicists need to take more of an objective view of time to keep the mathematics simple. So the model is of 4D spacetime where time is a dimension, not a thing that flows. There now is separation of 2017 from 2018, but nothing at all travels through spacetime. Instead you have a worldline that you trace through it. Velocity becomes the slope of a worldline, not actual movement. So in this sense, asking if time travel is possible is to ask if it is possible for anything to have a discontinuous worldline that is effectively a causal connection from A to B where B is in the past of A.

Quantum experiments have demonstrated the ability to choose to alter experimental results that have been taken in the past, or over faster-than-light conditions, but in no case is information sent to the past or faster than light, and that would be required for time travel.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 9:12 am
chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 8:01 amDidn't I just travel through time as I typed this reply?
It was the present moment when you read this, it was the present moment when you typed it and it is still the present moment.
By similar logic, I must be in Toledo right now, because I once was there. If I am planning a trip to Paris next year, then I must be there now as well. After all, distance is only a concept, right? Maybe if I make plans to be everywhere, I can become God.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Halc wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:45 pmIt's all a crock of course, so fiction is wide open to it.
Another one I forgot is Predestination. My favorite part is the song playing on the jukebox in the bar scene.
Halc

Post by Halc »

chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 9:38 am

It was the present moment when you read this, it was the present moment when you typed it and it is still the present moment.
By similar logic, I must be in Toledo right now, because I once was there. If I am planning a trip to Paris next year, then I must be there now as well. After all, distance is only a concept, right? Maybe if I make plans to be everywhere, I can become God.
Yea, I was also playing with similar things.

By this logic, Present-awareness could set his alarm clock to 'the present' since it will be the present when he wants to wake up, and the alarm has no access to his concept of time, so it has nothing else to go on.
Similarly, he has always been 'here', therefore other locations in space are not real since space is only a concept. Complete collapse into solipsism. A bailout position.
Present awareness

chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 9:38 am

Wherever you go, there you are! Thinking about where you were or where you are going all takes place in your head. The concept of time is very useful for making plans, but an unfortunate and untimely death, would put those plans into a different perspective.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 9:12 amIf you think about it, you will realize that there was never a time in your life when it wasn’t the present moment.
You simply choose to assume this. I claim no proof of such, but I strongly suspect that no moment of my life takes place in the present. One has to beg the answer to assert otherwise. OK, so I am begging a different answer, and thus claim no proof.
Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 9:47 am The concept of time is very useful for making plans, but an unfortunate and untimely death, would put those plans into a different perspective.
My death will not end time or halt my plans. It just halts the making of new plans. The demise of all humanity might end the concept, which ends time only for idealists.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Not so much. Folks travel in time not infrequently nowadays.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream