Freethinker

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Maxcady10001

Freethinker

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Does anyone still use freethinker to describe themselves? Why isn't it more popular to do so? It seems an impossible term to find fault with, who wouldn't want to be a freethinker?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Freethinker

Post by Sy Borg »

To what purpose would one label oneself outside of applying for work or relationships?
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

For the sake of argument.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Hehehe. Okay. I personally don't call myself a philosopher because I have no academic or professional affiliations. So I'm an ex analyst (my last job before retiring) and now basically a free thinker about life, the universe and everything for the sake of curiosity.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

After scrolling through posts on forums, calling oneself an atheist, theist, or agnostic, seems to cause trouble. I've even seen people call themselves agnostic atheists to bypass whatever problems come with the atheist label. There are probably a bunch of other labels people go by, but freethinker seems like it would stump anyone trying to pigeon hole a viewpoint. I've personally never heard anyone say they were a freethinker. I have heard of a freethinker's club, but I don't think any of those people took the label on personally.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

In various eras being part of a group or being independent have each been in and out of fashion. Currently being independent is less popular.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I expect that the way you could be sucked into the vortex is someone would have you define "freethinker". If you are precise, then your notions will probably be criticised. If you are imprecise, then that will be certainly be criticised as rendering your definition meaningless.

Consider Terry Pratchett's depiction of philosophers in his Small Gods novel - he's perhaps not so far off ...
"What do philosophers look like?" said Brutha, "When they're not having a bath, I mean."
"They do a lot of thinking," said Om. "Look for someone with a strained expression."
"That might just mean constipation."
"Well, so long as they're philosophical about it . . ."

The city of Ephebe surrounded them. Dogs barked. Somewhere a cat yowled. There was that general susurration of small comfortable sounds that shows that, out there, a lot of people are living their lives.

And then a door burst open down the street and there was the cracking noise of a quite large wine amphora being broken over someone's head. A skinny old man in a toga picked himself up from the cobbles where he had landed, and glared at the doorway.

"I'm telling you, listen, a finite intellect, right, cannot by means of comparison reach the absolute truth of things, because being by nature indivisible, truth excludes the concepts of "more" or "less" so that nothing but truth itself can be the exact measure of truth. You bastards," he said.
Someone from inside the building said, "Oh yeah? Sez you."

The old man ignored Brutha but, with great difficulty, pulled a cobblestone loose and hefted it in his hand. Then he dived back through the doorway. There was a distant scream of rage.
"Ah. Philosophy," said Om.
Brutha peered cautiously round the door. Inside the room two groups of very nearly identical men in togas were trying to hold back two of their colleagues. It is a scene repeated a million times a day in bars around the multiverse-both would-be fighters growled and grimaced at one another and fought to escape the restraint of their friends, only of course they did not fight too hard, because there is nothing worse than actually succeeding in breaking free and suddenly finding yourself all alone in the middle of the ring with a madman who is about to hit you between the eyes with a rock.

"Yep," said Om, "that's philosophy, right enough."
"But they're fighting!"
"A full and free exchange of opinions, yes."

Now that Brutha could get a clearer view, he could see that there were one or two differences between the men. One had a shorter beard, and was very red in the face, and was waggling a finger accusingly.

"He bloody well accused me of slander!" he was shouting.
"I didn't!" shouted the other man.
"You did! You did! Tell 'em what you said!"
"Look, I merely suggested, to indicate the nature of paradox, right, that if Xeno the Ephebian said, `All Ephebians are liars-' "
"See? See? He did it again!"
"-no, no, listen, listen . . . then, since Xeno is himself an Ephebian, this would mean that he himself is a liar and therefore-” Xeno made a determined effort to break free, dragging four desperate fellow philosophers across the floor.
"I'm going to lay one right on you, pal!"

Brutha said, "Excuse me, please?"
The philosophers froze. Then they turned to look at Brutha. They relaxed by degrees. There was a chorus of embarrassed coughs.
"Are you all philosophers?" said Brutha.

The one called Xeno stepped forward, adjusting the hang of his toga.
"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
"Are," said the luckless paradox manufacturer automatically.
Xeno spun around. "I've just about had it up to here with you, Ibid!" he roared. He turned back to Brutha. "We are, therefore we am," he said confidently. "That's it."
Several of the philosophers looked at one another with interest.
"That's actually quite interesting," one said. "The evidence of our existence is the fact of our existence, is that what you're saying?"
"Shut up," said Xeno, without looking around.
"Have you been fighting?" said Brutha.
The assembled philosophers assumed various expressions of shock and horror.
"Fighting? Us? We're philosophers," said Ibid, shocked.
"My word, yes," said Xeno.
"But you were-” Brutha began.
Xeno waved a hand.
"The cut and thrust of debate," he said.
"Thesis plus antithesis equals hysteresis," said Ibid. "The stringent testing of the universe. The hammer of the intellect upon the anvil of fundamental truth-”
"Shut up," said Xeno. "And what can we do for you, young man?"
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Freethinker- a person willing to change their opinion when it is put to adequate criticism, with little regard for the extravagance or popularity of schools of thought.

I am now an ideological mongoose unable to be pinned down. I downloaded a free pdf of the book small gods, it seems worth reading. Does the "we think, therefore we am" assume we is one, or unified? Is that why he said that?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Freethinker - a thinker that is gifted to a person without any expectations for anything of value in exchange.

Gifted child - a freethinking child, OR a child who has been given a freethinker

Freethinker - a thinker that is not in jail, in custody, in prison, or whose raison d'etre is not forcing him or her to eat Aunt Mariska's stuffed cabbage recipe.

Freethinker - a thinker who is free from the yoke of reason or logic when thinking.

Freethinker - a thinker to whom the universal (but not universally accepted) concept of "everything has a cause, and every cause is effecting something" does not apply. Personally.

Freethinker - unenallotted, unassigned, and unbound thinker who still has to decide to be "pro-choice" or "pro-life".

Freethinker - thinker of freedom, in all of its aspects, including what it means to be a freethinker.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Maxcady10001 wrote: June 15th, 2018, 3:43 am Does the "we think, therefore we am" assume we is one, or unified? Is that why he said that?
I don't think Pratchett had any other assumptions when writing the excerpted skit but 1. the egotism of thinkers, 2. the problems that different levels of capacity to understand logical structures present when argumenting and 3. the impression one has that he or she himself or herself is infallible in his or her knowing the true truth, while others are incorrigible in sticking to their false truths.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Maxcady10001 wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:44 am After scrolling through posts on forums, calling oneself an atheist, theist, or agnostic, seems to cause trouble. I've even seen people call themselves agnostic atheists to bypass whatever problems come with the atheist label. There are probably a bunch of other labels people go by, but freethinker seems like it would stump anyone trying to pigeon hole a viewpoint. I've personally never heard anyone say they were a freethinker. I have heard of a freethinker's club, but I don't think any of those people took the label on personally.
This is mainly because "free" has a bad connotation socially, but a happy connotation on a personal psychological level.

Everyone loves a free ride, but everyone knows there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The entire Western capitalist / industrialist establishment depends on things not being free. That's a sociological pressure on the individual's thinking.

Whereas personal freedom is touted as the MOST valuable asset of Americans. "Gimmie liberty, or gimmie death." That's psychological pressure on the individual.

"You get what you pay for." A freethinker's thought may be spirited and beautiful to look at, but it certainly does not pay the bills, because it's -- well, because the freethinker gets and passes on his thoughts freely. The fool! (Socrates's wife suffered from this syndrome of thought.)

stb.

In conclusion, all over the world freethinkers have been persecuted, hanged, drawn and quartered, burnt at the stake, and maimed and mutilated then thrown to the fish.

So it is not a very, very good policy to openly announce to the world you are a freethinker.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: June 15th, 2018, 12:45 am To what purpose would one label oneself outside of applying for work or relationships?
True. A supporting example:

"Dear Lady X,

Please consider my application for the positions of relationship partner and missionary.

My qualifications enable to do the job properly as I am through-and-through a freethinker.

Please respond by stating when I can start."
-1-

Post by -1- »

Maxcady10001 wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:44 am After scrolling through posts on forums, calling oneself an atheist, theist, or agnostic, seems to cause trouble. I've even seen people call themselves agnostic atheists to bypass whatever problems come with the atheist label. There are probably a bunch of other labels people go by, but freethinker seems like it would stump anyone trying to pigeon hole a viewpoint. I've personally never heard anyone say they were a freethinker. I have heard of a freethinker's club, but I don't think any of those people took the label on personally.
I've seen complete religionists who posed themselves as atheists, openly declaring it, then making an impassioned (but false) argument how atheism is unsustainable as a world view.

Atheists don't need to use this tactic, because in their proselytizing movement don't need to force unacceptable concepts down others' throats. This is actually -- for some paradoxical reason which I can't fathom, at least I haven't yet -- a predictor of a religions' popularity: the more impossible the tenets are that are to be accepted, the more viciously devout the followers of a given religion are.
-1-

Post by -1- »

LuckyR wrote: June 15th, 2018, 2:05 am Currently being independent is less popular.
"As usual... it depends."
As unusual, it independs.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Maxcady10001 wrote:Does anyone still use freethinker to describe themselves? Why isn't it more popular to do so? It seems an impossible term to find fault with, who wouldn't want to be a freethinker?
I think you've answered your own question. The purpose of labelling is to distinguish one thing from another. So labelling is only useful when there are at least two conceivable labels that we might want to attach to ourselves. If, as you've said, it's impossible to find fault with the term or imagine anyone wanting to label themselves as a non-freethinker, then the label is redundant.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream