Why god does not talk to us

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
devans99

Why god does not talk to us

Post by devans99 »

There are about 10^24 star systems in the universe, but there have only been 4x10^20 milliseconds since the Big Bang giving god the grand total of 0.0004 milliseconds to spend checking out each star system!

So atheists can relax, the reason god does not talk to us is that he’s very probably just not got around to it yet!
LuckyR

Re: Why god does not talk to us

Post by LuckyR »

devans99 wrote: June 17th, 2018, 8:49 pm There are about 10^24 star systems in the universe, but there have only been 4x10^20 milliseconds since the Big Bang giving god the grand total of 0.0004 milliseconds to spend checking out each star system!

So atheists can relax, the reason god does not talk to us is that he’s very probably just not got around to it yet!
Sort of depends on whether you believe in an omniscient god or not. Regardless, there is a simpler (better?) explanation.
"As usual... it depends."
anthonybrown
New Trial Member

Post by anthonybrown »

Our whole concept of God is incorrect. Sure there is a supreme being but he is nor more interested in us than we are of ants in their colonies.
There are numerous other levels of higher beings (Gods to us) that we could pray to, with the right techniques. It is important to remember that we are hear to learn, and some lessons are hash as that's how we best learn. Also we must have some freedom to go our own way, especially to make mistakes.
If God controlled every thing we do then there is no need for us!
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I imagine Stephen Fry would say something like ... “S/He’s too busy giving children bone cancer.”

I guess if I was to take the question at face value (that is assume some god figure exists and at least pays some attention to us) then I’d have to ask “How do you know S/He doesn’t?”

It could well be our concept of “god” is merely confused and that we all possess an “inner voice,” a subconscious/unconscious relatable function that guides us as a species - in physical terms I guess I am talking about the highly speculative psychological equivalent of “entropy”; that is, the seemingly “chaotic” pattern that we dance along with in this fleeting existence we call “life.”
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I’d also imagine that people who are more typically “religious” (ie. Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, etc.,.) would possibly refer to things like “beauty” and “harmony” as the “voice” of god - historically this has been infered, or more, by many members of the Christian doctrine at least via Platonic and Aristotelian ideas (I’m influenced here by “The Cave and the Light”; a fascinating book that maps how these two Greeks shaped the destiny of western cultural attitudes.)
AKA badgerjelly
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

Apparently Devans99 you don't know how to listen. For what it is worth, I am not a religionist but do have a belief in something beyond my ability to conceive that not only will talk to you but will answer questions if you learn how to communicate with IT. I did it through learning how to use my dreams and learned a great deal about myself and other things. You might try reading The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy as a means of establishing a method of communication.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

There are (let's say) 3 billion children in the world. The night-time part of Christmas Eve sweeps around the world in 24 hours. That gives Santa 0.0000288 seconds to deliver a present to each child, after ascertaining whether each child has been naughty or nice. But he achieves it with no trouble, with help from his family, some elves and a bit of technology, as documented in such films as "Arthur Christmas". So I'm sure God has no trouble.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Mystics and other explorers of the mind throughout history have made clear that mental silence is the path to God for Christians, Allah for Muslims, nirvana for Buddhists and the Tao for Taoists etc.

Whatever one might believe, clearly something interesting and productive is going on when people are emptying their minds, and it's not just rest. Silence allows one to be more receptive to subtleties than when we're in mentally active states.

Humans are evolved for high mental activity, constantly scanning the environment for threats and opportunities. To let yourself be silent means having no fear of threats or lost opportunities, and especially in these rather manic times that's not easy, certainly not for me.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

*Is us perhaps, and prefers extroversion.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream