tattoos and body piercing

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
LuckyR

Re: tattoos and body piercing

Post by LuckyR »

Namelesss wrote: December 21st, 2017, 9:23 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 21st, 2017, 3:30 amI am two steps ahead, I will be the true rebel fifteen years from now when the kids of the all over tattoo dudes rebel by having no tattoos.
Two steps ahead in la-la land!
That was exactly what Ötzi's mother said when she saw his tattoo!
Don't Know Ötzi?
He's that prehistoric fellow dig from the ice, ... the guy with the tattoos.
And folks are still getting them.
You'll never have to concern yourself with your tattoo free 'rebellion'...

Perhaps the true rebellion of Loving and not judging others? *__-
They're getting them, all right, no argument there. And I agree that there will always be those who will. That's not the topic. The discussion is, what will tattoos signify/imply in the future? We're all entitled to our opinions. Let's check back in 2032
"As usual... it depends."
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

LuckyR wrote: December 22nd, 2017, 4:35 am
Namelesss wrote: December 21st, 2017, 9:23 pm
Two steps ahead in la-la land!
That was exactly what Ötzi's mother said when she saw his tattoo!
Don't Know Ötzi?
He's that prehistoric fellow dig from the ice, ... the guy with the tattoos.
And folks are still getting them.
You'll never have to concern yourself with your tattoo free 'rebellion'...

Perhaps the true rebellion of Loving and not judging others? *__-
They're getting them, all right, no argument there. And I agree that there will always be those who will. That's not the topic. The discussion is, what will tattoos signify/imply in the future? We're all entitled to our opinions. Let's check back in 2032
Don't need to, tattoos that are 'significant' have been 'significant' of the same thing since Otzi!
There is no rational reason to assume that, suddenly, humanity (and the psychology thereof) will 'change' so drastically.
The answer to your question is not in some wooo-wooo mystical 'future', but over your shoulder.
Just look.
Relax, no one's going to tattoo you in your sleep.

One can say that anything from any mouth is 'opinion', but it's odd that about the only time someone uses the term is when someone else says something that he doesn't like, that is disturbing somehow, and thus the reiteration of the dismissive; "just his opinion".
No prob...
When you change your mind, I'll be happy to give you your first tat! *__-
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Namelesss wrote: December 22nd, 2017, 5:54 am
LuckyR wrote: December 22nd, 2017, 4:35 am

Don't need to, tattoos that are 'significant' have been 'significant' of the same thing since Otzi!
There is no rational reason to assume that, suddenly, humanity (and the psychology thereof) will 'change' so drastically.
The answer to your question is not in some wooo-wooo mystical 'future', but over your shoulder.
Just look.
Relax, no one's going to tattoo you in your sleep.

One can say that anything from any mouth is 'opinion', but it's odd that about the only time someone uses the term is when someone else says something that he doesn't like, that is disturbing somehow, and thus the reiteration of the dismissive; "just his opinion".
No prob...
When you change your mind, I'll be happy to give you your first tat! *__-
Relax? I am relaxed. And while everyone knows that there were tats in prehistoric times, that's not news. But it is an over simplification to assume that ritual, religious, tribal, (true) rebellion, fashion and trendy uses over time are identical. Thus the future is actually unlikely to be like the present, why should it? The present isn't identical to the past.
"As usual... it depends."
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

LuckyR wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 4:34 am But it is an over simplification to assume that ritual, religious, tribal, (true) rebellion, fashion and trendy uses over time are identical.

Perhaps a simplification (and I'll forget the 'identical' fudge), but history shows us that, statistically, we are safe in betting that no reasons for tats will change in the next thousand years, or so. There are no new reasons. Haven't been in millennia!
Not anything is any different regarding human psychology, nor is there any evidence that it is going to change.
We are no different than we were 300,000 years ago, psychologically.
Perhaps we have fancier toys, but we still bash each other with them, and memorialize the victory with a tat!
Thus the future is actually unlikely to be like the present, why should it? The present isn't identical to the past.
Thus, tattooistically, we have every reason to hypothesize that the 'future' is quite likely to 'be like the present'.
You are welcome to stick around and see for yourself! Time will tell. *__-
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

athena wrote: May 30th, 2010, 4:10 pm Feelings are a strange thing. What is beautiful to some is disfigurement to others. When we look at a loved one and feel repulsed, by what is disfigurement to us, things get very complicated. I could not have been more horrified when I looked at my granddaughter this morning, if her face had been disfigured by a fire. If it were a fire that disfigured her beautiful face, I would never show that I feel repulsed by her looks.
I am glad you wouldn't show this kind of disgust with a loved one because rejecting her and her choices with her own body like that could be extremely detrimental. As a daughter with multiple tattoos and a few piercings myself, I couldn't imagine how it would feel to have my mom look at me with disgust. Fortunately, long ago she decided that since tattoos are very common now, they wouldn't be her concern: her main thing was that she thought I would be singled out in the job market; an understandable perception for her generation.
athena wrote:However, this is not the first piercing in the face, but is the second disfigurement of her body this month, and a month before she put studs in her lips. Each time I see these disfigurements, it hurts. I have been as flexible and accepting as I can be, but now I see not only a new disfigurement, but that this behavior is out of control, and will most likely will get worse, like an addiction.
You have nothing to worry about over a few lip piercings, especially from a younger person. I took mine out (of my lip) long ago and it's fine. She's just expressing herself.
athena wrote:I am so repulsive by the number of piercings and especially the location of these new ones, I couldn't stand to look at her when I drove her to work. I will not give her a ride again, as long as the mental is in her face. This means, I will not attend family Thanks Giving, or Christmas gatherings. I will no longer care for her son, as I have been doing.
Woah, ok -- I retract my original statement about being glad you wouldn't show disgust towards her. This is very obvious and very petty judgment and unnecessary control exerted over someone that's simply claiming their own body and expressing themselves. That's shameful. I would worry more about "disfiguring" a relationship for such a petty reason more than someone "disfiguring" their face.
athena wrote:Not because I disapprove, but because it is so painful to me, to see what she doing to herself. This follows the news that her younger sister is hanging with drug dealing, gang members, and her going to jail for beating someone up.
I think the rash of body piercings and another disfigurement of her arm, is a response to her sisters choices. All this follows my daughter's years of addiction, and more pain than I want to remember.

My grandmother never said a critical thing. My 90 plus year old neighbors, would never say a critical thing. They would just avoid contact. If I had money, I would be packing my things and moving far away. No explanation, just end contact.
Your mindset seems downright abusive, frankly.

It is good to worry about actual bad influences like drug dealing and gangs, but a girl getting a lip ring? Come on. Listen to yourself here, and ask yourself if your love for this person is truly that shallow.

As a heavily tattooed person, still have plenty of piercings in my ears as well, I have a loving mom who wasn't the biggest fan because such things aren't her personal style, but she accepts me and my choices because she knows I have a good head on my shoulders.

Maybe you should love your granddaughter for the same reasons? If there are reasons to be concerned like drugs and gangs, those are separate issues from a couple of piercings. Be reasonable.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream