Personally written wisdom sayings

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Burning ghost

Re: Personally written wisdom sayings

Post by Burning ghost » June 28th, 2018, 9:41 pm

The benefit of potential is in its loss.
AKA badgerjelly

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » July 20th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Nice guys finish last, Bullies destroy themselves, but the way to life is straight and narrow. It is necessary to avoid the corruption of the human tendency for assertiveness as well as the corruption of the basic tendency for compliance in order to obtain a sense of belonging. The understanding of the phenomena of sadomasochism is of upmost importance in understanding this generation and where it is heading.

Nothingman

Post by Nothingman » July 29th, 2018, 6:50 am

The less we know the more we see.
The only thing I know is that I know one thing which is that.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » July 29th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Don’t count your chickens if they’re nymphomaniacs - Can you work out the meaning?
AKA badgerjelly

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » July 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Nothingman wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 6:50 am
Sorry, I really dislike that saying, reminding me of the ugly anti-science anti-learning trend of today (and unreasonable anti-learning bullies at my school back in the Paleozoic).

If we have no knowledge then we rely on our senses so, yes, we do enjoy more vivid imagery - but then we won't understand it, just see vivid images like a kaleidoscope. There's already enough people afflicted with a fear of learning around without encouraging them.

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » July 30th, 2018, 6:47 am

My favourite from this page. (I assume it's referring to the potential turning into the actual.)

Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical » July 30th, 2018, 7:17 am

A moment of humility prevents a lifetime of regret.

In other words

- forgiveness is easier than hating, don't pay for what someone else did.
- loving is easier than being angry, life is to short, imagine if you left it to late?
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out

chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian » July 30th, 2018, 7:58 am

Greta wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm
Nothingman wrote:
Sorry, I really dislike that saying, reminding me of the ugly anti-science anti-learning trend of today (and unreasonable anti-learning bullies at my school back in the Paleozoic).

If we have no knowledge then we rely on our senses so, yes, we do enjoy more vivid imagery - but then we won't understand it, just see vivid images like a kaleidoscope. There's already enough people afflicted with a fear of learning around without encouraging them.
I read that very differently, and maybe Nothingman will clear it up. I saw that as not against knowledge but against certainty, not against seeking knowledge but for being open to learning by entertaining all the possibilities presented to you by the world.

If you claim to 'know' much, in the sense of 100% certainty, then you may refuse to consider new knowledge which threatens to sweep away the old, and limit opportunities to grow as a result. You won't 'see' the new information because you are wearing the blinders of certainty.

Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical » July 30th, 2018, 8:50 am

Nothingman wrote:
We can also take it personally, in the sense of the less we know about someone, the less likely we are to judge them.
Therefore we may see more of them for who they are not who we've been told they are.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » July 30th, 2018, 5:09 pm

It is good to have a good synthesis of principles and pragmatic values. To be without pragmatic values, your principles would corrupt into what Jean Paul Sartre called a project of sincerity, a form of inauthenticity. To live without principles tends toward being fueled by ungrounded expediency.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » July 30th, 2018, 6:09 pm

You may be right Bri and TC, but I can't help being hypervigilant in today's climate where learning is now less valued than bluster. Of course, the more you know, the more you assume - and thus don't "see" as much, eg. the child being told that the bird she is watching is a "starling" will lose some of the visceral sense of the bird to focus on the label.

However, we can't rely on our senses like other animals. We're humans and what we do is borrow each others' senses - so we know what the the surfaces of the Moon and Mars look like. So, to reject the perceptions of others - to reject science and learning - is to diminish oneself.

Thus, people are increasingly shrinking themselves into wizened, hardened, impermeable balls of reactionary defensiveness that hankers for strongman authoritarian leaders to provide the security that would have otherwise been gained by simply learning more about the world and how it works.

Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna » August 6th, 2018, 4:41 am

Steve3007 wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 6:47 am
My favourite from this page. (I assume it's referring to the potential turning into the actual.)
Yes. It's clever, original and head-scratchingly deep. ( Thanks for explanation.)

Anything I come up with has usually been done before.
Like my thought yesterday of:
If the world turns upside down, then stand on your head.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » August 13th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Minerva raises her wings at the setting of the sun. Wisdom comes after the damage has been done.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » August 14th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Hope for everything, expect nothing.
AKA badgerjelly

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » August 23rd, 2018, 2:35 am

If you take the skin from a person, it matters not their race nor creed, you will still always find something that looks like a blood-soaked zombie monster.