Volunteer Queue Moderators Wanted

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Lucylu

Re: Volunteer Queue Moderators Wanted

Post by Lucylu »

I'd vote for Lacewing and Steve and Misty! Plus Spectrum and NewMe if you can get them. :D

Maybe you could get a philosophy student to do it, if you advertised in a Uni. They might want to do it to put it on their CV. But as you said, it would be difficult to know if they would be any good. I suppose you could ask them to supply a reference eg from their tutor to say that they have good communication skills and ethics etc.

Good luck!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Lacewing
Premium Member

Post by Lacewing »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lucylu!

I realize I may not actually be an appropriate choice... as I'm not scholarly or conventional or inclined to follow too many rules/standards. (I've been half-expecting Scott to boot me from the site at some point... for breaking some code of conduct.) :lol: So I won't be offended if he declines my offer. I know I'm sort of "out there" most of the time, not really operating on a typical channel (it seems), not offering "proof" of anything, and maybe having too much fun questioning the edicts of religion. Perhaps that's a disruption to some agenda. Hey, can I put all newbies through a trial period of answering my "If you were a god..." question? Heh heh. (That was fun!)
WordsOfWisdumbass

Post by WordsOfWisdumbass »

"....any conflict that arises is probably from people who have posted a rule-breaking post and had it moderated that are complaining."

Have a completely new member, with no ties, allegiance, or bias existent, anywhere, start off in the role!
I have viewed a single thread -- from 2010-11 -- and then registered, and this request was the first that popped up, ironically. Although the concept of a 'moderator tech' proving their worthiness and understanding makes perfectly logical sense, it is not entirely outrageous to think about the reasons a new member would be a great choice. The rules are black and white, and both new and established members are potentially equally capable of enforcement or infraction of them, in theory. As a matter of fact, a new member has probably given the rules a thorough reading much more recently than someone who may have joined months or years ago. 8)
This is a tongue-in-cheek proposition, of course, but with roots in a few very sound principals, so if any consensus forms around those roots, feel free to nurture and prune to fruition.
(Bonsai? BONZAI! First learn stand, Noobie-san.)
Perhaps this would be an ideal way for a neophyte to prove themselves; being especially attentive to the ideals of fairness and 'for-benefit-of-all' espoused by the forum's rules would be important to their onboarding process, so as to successfully establish new acquaintances while concurrently not-rocking the boat.
Thank you for listen--reading. ~These have been the Words Of Wisdumbass.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Okay Lacewing, I have made you a queue moderator. I will send you a PM with more details.

I am still looking for volunteers.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Lacewing
Premium Member

Post by Lacewing »

Hey look everybody! I have a new title under my name! :lol: Wheee!! Do I get a badge... or a funny hat to wear?

If a bunch of crazy posts start getting through the queue now, don't blame me... 'cause sometimes EVERYTHING sounds crazy, and I try not to discriminate.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Scott, one of the rules of this forum is to read all the posts in a thread before making one’s post. Now as a queue moderator, I may not have the interest in reading a long series of posts in a thread of no interest to me just to make sure that the new person who posts appears to have done that himself/herself. This means I may not want to moderate some new person's posts depending on the length of the thread in which that person posts. For this reason, would it be a good idea to tell new bloggers to try to make their comments on threads that have few posts? Or should Queue Moderators simply omit this one rule? Also, how tough are moderators supposed to be? For instance, if I hadn't capitalized Queue Moderators in the text that I just wrote, could I still let this pass? Some grammar rules aren't always picked-up by a spell check. Should I delete a post for that reason, even if the rest seems perfect? Am I required to use my own judgement on this?
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Lacewing
Premium Member

Post by Lacewing »

Empiricist-Bruno, we'll see what Scott answers to your questions... but I can tell you that I'm certainly not doing any of that detail. All I do is check the post to ensure that it's understandable (enough) and not blatantly offensive/inappropriate. It has been a quick and easy task to stay on top of (so far). There are typically only a few to a half-dozen each day. The only "denials" I've issued have been for duplicate posts... which probably result because the person thinks their first one didn't go through (when they don't see it displayed right away).

It's super simple... especially for queue moderators who are already checking in once a day... because then the queue doesn't get a chance to "build-up". And it really would be good to have several queue moderators assigned to this task so that it's covered when other queue moderators step away for awhile... which I will be doing.

You'll also get the "Queue Moderator" subtitle below your name... although I asked Scott to remove it from mine, as the presence of it made me feel "too responsible" for whatever I might say on the site... and I wanted to feel free to speak without being viewed as a "representative" or "self-assigned-authority" of any sort. :D
Artimas
Favorite Philosopher: Plato

Post by Artimas »

Lacewing wrote: You'll also get the "Queue Moderator" subtitle below your name... although I asked Scott to remove it from mine, as the presence of it made me feel "too responsible" for whatever I might say on the site... and I wanted to feel free to speak without being viewed as a "representative" or "self-assigned-authority" of any sort. :D
That is a good point. I have given thought on doing moderation, but I don't view power as a gain for me, I view power as a gain for all of you. Distribution of power is key. Politics have it wrong. =P
"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Empiricist-Bruno wrote:Scott, one of the rules of this forum is to read all the posts in a thread before making one’s post. Now as a queue moderator, I may not have the interest in reading a long series of posts in a thread of no interest to me just to make sure that the new person who posts appears to have done that himself/herself. This means I may not want to moderate some new person's posts depending on the length of the thread in which that person posts.
When moderating the queue, I generally do not read the whole topic. I may read the OP to judge if it is on-topic. So the short answer is ignore that rule.

Generally, the rule about reading the topic comes up not in approving posts but when either posts veer off-topic through many posts (because people join the topic and only read and respond to the latest posts without appreciating the main context of the topic) or because members respond to a line of discussion that started with or contains some rule-breaking posts. Depending on the nature of the rule-breaking posts and the dependency of the replies on the rule-breaking posts, often times the entire thread of discussion needs to be deleted (e.g. all replies in the topic made after the rule-breaking posts) even if someone wouldn't have realized they were violating the forum rules if they hadn't read all the posts and if not reading the posts was not prohibited.
Empiricist-Bruno wrote: Also, how tough are moderators supposed to be? For instance, if I hadn't capitalized Queue Moderators in the text that I just wrote, could I still let this pass? Some grammar rules aren't always picked-up by a spell check. Should I delete a post for that reason, even if the rest seems perfect? Am I required to use my own judgement on this?
You can use your own judgement. Generally, I would let a few typos or common grammar mistakes (e.g. incorrectly ending a sentence with a preposition) go, especially the kind of typos or mistakes a person would be likely to miss even after proofreading once through. As a rule of thumb, I am simply trying to judge if the poster used a spell-checker and then proofread the post at least once through after writing it, which is usually fairly easy to tell.

When in doubt, though, I encourage you to lean towards being more strict. This is especially the case in the moderation queue, when the poster can simply repost a fixed version of the post, as opposed to the main form where you have to delete a post they may have already received replies.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

I'm puzzled to get this as a PM.

I thought you'd have had plenty of offers already.
"I'm blaming the horrors of Islamic fundamentalism on unrestrained sexuality." Radar.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Hog Rider wrote:I'm puzzled to get this as a PM.

This isn't a PM.

Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

Scott wrote:
Hog Rider wrote:I'm puzzled to get this as a PM.

This isn't a PM.
I get it. As it appears on the top page of the User Panel I thought it a PM.

So have you got any volunteers. I'm on most days if you haven't
"I'm blaming the horrors of Islamic fundamentalism on unrestrained sexuality." Radar.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Scott wrote: When in doubt, though, I encourage you to lean towards being more strict. This is especially the case in the moderation queue, when the poster can simply repost a fixed version of the post, as opposed to the main form where you have to delete a post they may have already received replies.
Thanks for the clarifications. One more question: if we doubt that the person will be able to figure out by himself/herself the reason why we delete his or her post, should we/could we pm a note or a clue to that person, such as, "The grammar on your post's title needs a little improvement."? Otherwise it may be impossible for them to figure out what is wrong and they may get discouraged.

Never mind, I just found out that the deleting process does seem to allow the Queue Moderator to send feedback to the new person that posts. That's fantastic. I would like to add here that I never received any comment explaining me why some of my posts were deleted when I was on probation. Furthermore, I think new people should be instructed to save their posts in their drafts folder, just in case they get deleted by Queue Moderators if they want to save their posts.
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Finvaara
Premium Member

Post by Finvaara »

I will happily assist with moderation as soon as allowed.
Funenjoyabledays

Post by Funenjoyabledays »

I'd like to help as a moderator too.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream