[OLD] Philosophy Forums Rules [OLD]

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
The Quirkster
Favorite Philosopher: Shakespeare + Slavoj Zizek

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post by The Quirkster »

BeautifulNarcissist wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

O.o is he talking about orgasmicness, but too shy to say the word orgasm?

-- Updated June 22nd, 2013, 4:37 am to add the following --

(Nested quote removed.)

O.o is he talking about orgasmionae, but too shy to say the word orgasm?
I love the effort that saw you post, then you sought to find the actual terminology to befit the comment, and re-posted it to let us all know the right term.

Brilliant! Thank you!!
"We should all be obliged to appear before a board every five years and justify our existence... on pain of liquidation." -- George Bernard Shaw
Breathing_purple

Post by Breathing_purple »

ahhh!!! rules for the motely cow :P
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

BeautifulNarcissist wrote: O.o is he talking about orgasmicness, but too shy to say the word orgasm?
Nah, "uncontrollable spasm in the diaphragm?" probably laughter.
fair to say
TimBandTech
Favorite Philosopher: Kant

Consorship

Post by TimBandTech »

When a post is censored is the poster notified?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Consorship

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

TimBandTech wrote:When a post is censored is the poster notified?
When a post is deleted or edited, the poster is notified.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Stormcloud

Post by Stormcloud »

Scott, did you send me a message? I am not really computer savvy and couldn't source the message.
Deric
New Trial Member

Post by Deric »

I like the rules. Whilst we can cut some slack to those not handy with English it's another thing to read stuff full of spelling and grammar errors by some slob who's made through 6th grade in America. And there probably are some thinkers with green teeth and who trim their nails with those teeth. I must add though that Shakespeare liked to twist language around just for fun and so do I. I think though you can usually tell junk from an artistic style of writing. I'm trying here but where is the spell check tab?
Mello Jello

Post by Mello Jello »

I had a post disapproved that was completely non-offensive because of a Christian moderator pushing a Christian agenda. It was in the religious category of the forum under the original post, "What does Christ save us from?" Here is a copy of the post; as you can see there's nothing offensive or irrelevant about it. I will say that the moderator discussing the issue on the forum was a Christian who had over ten posts pushing his/her faith. Who's watching the watchers on this site?:

It's very interesting as an agnostic on the god issue to watch the entrenched warfare between theists and skeptics. I will be very surprised if I die and my soul is delivered to the gates of heaven and confronted by Abraham's God who gives me a full account of my sins. I am not saying that it is not possible. I'm simply saying I would be very surprised if any of the religious texts on Earth are accurate, add to that also if any of the philosophical texts are accurate.

I am a friend of believers and unbelievers alike. With that said, belief in Christianity is faith based. Scrutinizing its qualifications and integrity with a logical debate is simply irrational. Faith is faith. The religion cannot be proved or disproved. The scriptures specifically say, "We live by faith and not by sight." So it even seems anti-productive for a Christian to try and rationalize his or her faith logically. I'm sure there are other lines in the scriptures that support logically arguing for the validity of the religion but I would even counter those with the idea that when a Christian is spreading the word of Christ he or she is merely planting seeds and its God's job to make those seeds grow; by trying to convince nonbelievers using logic it's almost as if you're trying to grow hydroponic converts. If non-believers convert to Christianity they will do it on their own terms, on their own time, and when they are ready for it; and this isn't to say that they won't fall away again and/or that they weren't believers before.

Now, I have to say that I am very surprised that this topic was allowed through the screening process and not immediately taken down. Especially since it seems like it bated Christians in and then challenged their faith like some sort of a crude trap. To back down on either side at this point seems to admit defeat but I will say that after reading the entire 7 pages of this thread, neither side has convinced me and I am still agnostic. But I have learned a tremendous amount. There are some very brilliant minds in this community and I look forward to learning so much more from you all. Thank you again for the tremendous amount of thinking and hard work you've all put into this.
Multi dementoinanal

can there be anything that is completely independant?

Post by Multi dementoinanal »

"everything depends on something" I have sat around and wondered "is anything really singular and completely unaffected by something else. can something be simply still." I would very much appreciate your feedback.
Stormcloud

Post by Stormcloud »

Mello, dont be disheartened, you always have Emerson to turn too :wink:
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Uncharacteristic and strange over-reaction to alleged personal attacks on the "What Does Christ Save Us From?" topic, in my opinion. I only recall there being one instance of a possible personal attack in which one poster referred to the other as a "bigot". Extremely mild by comparison to some of the kinds of comments that have infected this site over the past few months and have gone un-moderated.

This weird inconsistent application of forum rules, resulting in the arbitrary deletion of whole swathes of commentary is a bit too much for me. I won't be posting again.

Bye all.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Dolphin42 wrote:Uncharacteristic and strange over-reaction to alleged personal attacks on the "What Does Christ Save Us From?" topic, in my opinion. I only recall there being one instance of a possible personal attack in which one poster referred to the other as a "bigot". Extremely mild by comparison to some of the kinds of comments that have infected this site over the past few months and have gone un-moderated.

This weird inconsistent application of forum rules, resulting in the arbitrary deletion of whole swathes of commentary is a bit too much for me. I won't be posting again.

Bye all.
Long before the bigot comment:

one post (referring to another member as ignorance): "So much ignorance!"

another post: "youre being dishonest."

another post: " you're in a Jesus trance"

another post: "You are so blasé,"

Well, it goes on like that for a while. And that's long before the bigot comment. And by the time the bigot comment comes in the topic was already hopelessly derailed into some off-topic subject that when wasn't just name-calling and personal attacks seemed to be about homosexuality or something.

-- Updated 12 Mar 2014 08:44 pm to add the following --
Scott wrote:(Rules A through C apply to the entire forum. The off-topic sections are generally exempt from rules D-H.)

A. No ad hominem arguments, insults, flames, personal attacks, libel or slander. Please keep discussion focused on the issues of the specific topics, and not on the character of those discussing the issues. If your motive is to ridicule members, or spread bad feeling, please do not bother to post. Try to be as respectful and sincere as possible. Posts that have a rude or ridiculing tone or otherwise seem to have the intent of offending others as opposed to having productive exchange of ideas will be deleted. Even borderline posts will be deleted. Please see this clarification on how forum discussions are simultaneously uncensored and strictly moderated.
  • A.2. Speculating about whether another member who is allegedly saying something false is lying, trolling, stupid, or ignorant, etc. is an off-topic insult.
B. No slurs or pejoratives such as but not limited to racial slurs. Name-calling, mean-spirited mockery, and irrelevant personal attacks made against any person or group not on this forum is strictly prohibited.

C. No spam. No advertising. No selling. All links posted must meet our strict site policies regarding links.

D. All posts must be on topic. Posting irrelevant asides, snide comments, or generally trying to derail a discussion, is not in the spirit of the forum and is strictly prohibited. Polite, kind off-topic remarks within a post that aren't too distracting (e.g. "hi," "thanks," "I enjoy your writing") are tolerated but most of each and every post must be on topic and absolutely no rude off-topic or offensive off-topic remarks will be tolerated at all.
  • D.2. All posts need to contribute an on-topic point or on-topic question to the discussion. No single word posts, or meaningless posts. No posts that simply say "yes", "no", "bump", or "I agree".

D.4. Generally, it is off-topic to post an entire non-philosophical article, which includes almost all news reports, conspiracy theories or political editorials. If you want to use the information, opinions or arguments in a non-philosophical article as a base for philosophical points and philosophical questions, then generally it is more effective to summarize it or quote only the essential parts of it.

D.5. It is off-topic (and usually insulting) and thus prohibited to tell another member to go research or learn about something. This point is elaborated in the site policies regarding links.

D.6. It is off-topic (and usually insulting) and thus prohibited to critique another member's arguing style, intentions or overall contribution to the forums.

D.7. You must try to write in clear, concise language expressing on-topic points. Being coy, sarcastic, poetic or using too many metaphors is prohibited. See this post for more information or to ask questions about clarity.
E. Posters must genuinely try to use proper spelling, basic grammar and punctuation. All posters must proofread their posts before posting them. If you are not very good at spelling and basic grammar, you must use a spellchecker. No instant-message-style short-hand, such as "u" instead of 'you' or "str8" instead of 'straight'. Elaboration and questions about spelling, grammar and formatting rules

F. Formatting: Use the quote bbcode function to quote other users. Make sure to use two line breaks between paragraphs so there is a full line of blank space between the paragraphs. Do not put all of your posts in bold, italic, colored or underline print; those features are for emphasizing certain text. Do not write in poetry/verse format. Do not write in all capital letters or overuse capital letters in place of the bold bbcode. Elaboration and questions about spelling, grammar and formatting rules

G. Do not reply to rule-breaking posts. Do not tell others they are violating the forum rules and especially do not quote rule-breaking posts. Simply use the report button (the exclamation point on the upper-right-hand side of the post you wish to report) to report the post and then ignore the reported post until a moderator closes the report or deletes the reported post.
  • G.2 It is expected that you read all the preceding posts in a topic before you post in that topic. And it is expected that you use the report button to report any posts that you think violate the forum rules. All posts that follow a single rule-breaking post may be deleted as a means of salvaging the topic. Posts that blatantly misrepresent someone else's position or thoughts may also be deleted especially where it seems intentional or particularly derailing.
H. Rules for Creating New Topics:
  • H.1. Use a descriptive and specific title so that other users know the topic.

H.2. Before posting a new topic, search the forum and see if that topic already exists.

H.3. All new topics must be at least 45 words and must be at least 3 sentences (not counting quotes)

H.4. When posting a new topic, you must pose some sort of philosophical argument or open-ended question. Do not post a topic which only asks for one-word answers. You can use an article, video, image, short poem or other quote as the basis for your own philosophical argument or question or as elaboration of one of your points, but you still must add your own philosophical question or argument in your own words.

Other notes: As a new member, your posts will be held for moderation until you have at least 5 approved on-topic posts. After that, if you violate the rules at any time, your account may be put back on the moderation queue. Often times posts are cleared from the queue within the day but sometimes it can take up to a week.

Other terms: By using this site, you agree to follow these rules. Posts that violate these rules will be edited or deleted. Members who violate these rules will be warned or banned. Your own posts will generally not be deleted upon request. By posting you give us permanent, unconditional right to publish, edit or delete the content of your post for any reason at our discretion. If you do not fully understand any of the above rules or are warned about violating one of them, please use the corresponding links to see the elaborations and to ask questions or PM Scott. You may also review the older, more elaborate version of the forum rules which listed the rules in a different order using numbers.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Iwantfilm
New Trial Member

Post by Iwantfilm »

FAO Moderators.

I am a new member who is looking for help on a film project I am working on. I didn't want to plough ahead and post on the forum having read the rules about advertising so I thought I would contact you first.

If you could PM me I can explain my project and if you agree I would like to post details on the forum.

Many thanks, Ernie.

-- Updated March 15th, 2014, 9:19 am to add the following --

FAO Spiral

Many thanks for your PM.

Unless I'm overlooking something (more than likely) I cannot seem to find the 'reply' function in order to respond.

Any pointers?

Thanks. E
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Iwantfilm wrote:Unless I'm overlooking something (more than likely) I cannot seem to find the 'reply' function in order to respond.
There should be a "Send Reply" button at the top left of the message window when viewing my message to you. That will open a reply message field where you can compose your response. When you are done composing your message, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the message window. That will send your response to me.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Iwantfilm
New Trial Member

Post by Iwantfilm »

Spiral Out wrote:
Iwantfilm wrote:Unless I'm overlooking something (more than likely) I cannot seem to find the 'reply' function in order to respond.
There should be a "Send Reply" button at the top left of the message window when viewing my message to you. That will open a reply message field where you can compose your response. When you are done composing your message, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the message window. That will send your response to me.
Hi Spiral,

There is no 'Send Reply' button. Is this a feature for full members only?

I'm using a MAC OS but I assume that shouldn't matter.

Is there an email address I can send the query to instead?

Appreciate your time.

E

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream