Philosophy Forums Rules

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#91  Postby Misty » March 7th, 2016, 11:58 am

Hi Scott, I want to refer to rule G-2, one must read all posts before replying to topic. I think everyone should have the same right to answer just the original topic post, otherwise the first poster to a topic is the only one who gets to respond to the original topic post, without influences of others, not to mention some topics have hundreds of posts. Misty
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
User avatar
Misty
Contributor
 
Posts: 5998 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: August 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules



Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login
 

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#92  Postby Niebieskieucho » May 17th, 2016, 5:48 am

I'd like to quit this forum and unsubscribe. Unfortunately, cannot find information where to do it.
Thanks for doing it for me or instruct me.
User avatar
Niebieskieucho
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 15 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: December 20th, 2015, 5:53 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#93  Postby Greta » May 26th, 2016, 5:12 am

I'll send an email to Scott. I don't actually know, myself.

Cheers.
This space left intentionally blank.
User avatar
Greta
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5344 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#94  Postby Scott » May 26th, 2016, 11:19 am

Niebieskieucho wrote:I'd like to quit this forum and unsubscribe. Unfortunately, cannot find information where to do it.
Thanks for doing it for me or instruct me.

@Niebieskieucho You can control your email subscription in the following tab of the User Control Panel: ucp.php?i=174

You are also free to not participate or participate as you wish.

I hope that helps :)

If you need further assistance, please send me a private message.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?
User avatar
Scott
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4206 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#95  Postby SunkenBubble » June 8th, 2016, 6:16 pm

When are new users allowed to make posts before waiting for moderation?
User avatar
SunkenBubble
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 6 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: June 8th, 2016, 8:18 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#96  Postby Josefina1110 » August 22nd, 2016, 11:13 pm

I would like to summarize the Philosophy Forums Rules by quoting the pledge of the 4H Club: "As we mingle with others, let us be diligent in labor, courteous to everyone and above all honest and fair in the game of life."
Josefina1110
 
Posts: 81 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: August 22nd, 2016, 12:08 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#97  Postby Felix » August 23rd, 2016, 10:11 pm

I would like to summarize the Philosophy Forums Rules by quoting the pledge of the 4H Club: "As we mingle with others, let us be diligent in labor, courteous to everyone and above all honest and fair in the game of life."


And last but not least: cast not thy pearls before swine.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Felix
 
Posts: 1791 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 9th, 2009, 5:45 am

A question to the forum

Post Number:#98  Postby Jaya » December 7th, 2016, 9:40 am

Dear Members of the Online Philosophy Club,

A book has been published under the title 'The Upanishads: A Study of the Original texts' by MLBD Publishers, New Delhi, India. The year of publication is 2016. There is a chapter in this book which discusses about 'The World and the Mandukya Upanishad'. Is it possible to discuss the above topic in this forum?
User avatar
Jaya
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 0 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: December 7th, 2016, 9:08 am

Re: A doubt about uploading a chapter for discussion

Post Number:#99  Postby Jaya » December 8th, 2016, 8:32 am

I received a reply from Felix to the question I posted yesterday. He says that the topic content should be put in the Metaphysics/Religion forum. How do I send / upload the chapter for discussion in the Metaphysics forum? Could someone tell me the steps to do the same?
User avatar
Jaya
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 0 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: December 7th, 2016, 9:08 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#100  Postby Sage4557 » February 8th, 2017, 10:31 am

I am new here. So far I am pleased with the diversity in discussion on this site. I responded to five post but my profile only shows one. How do I know if the others were rejected? Does it take a long time to review the posts and put them up? and will I be informed if I have done something against the rules? I am enjoying the site and hope to remain a participant. Thank you
User avatar
Sage4557
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 7 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 5th, 2017, 11:20 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#101  Postby DouglasTheAwesome » March 2nd, 2017, 10:27 am

How do you edit a post? I see no edit button...
User avatar
DouglasTheAwesome
New Trial Member
 
Posts: 2 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: March 1st, 2017, 7:21 pm

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#102  Postby -1- » March 11th, 2017, 10:06 pm

I don't see among the rules violations of logic, violations by self-contradictions, and violations by ignoring the pointing out of self-contradictions. I also don't see violations by calling some debating opponent's arguments "irrational" and "meaningless" and "zig-zagging" when they obviously are not, to a mindful and reasonable reader.

What I am complaining about is that some people don't see their own mistakes when they are pointed out to them, and instead of acknowledging them, they call the critiquer out on being irrational and incomprehensible.

What to do in such cases?
Sweat the small stuff... because then the big stuff will take care of itself.
User avatar
-1-
 
Posts: 610 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: December 1st, 2016, 2:23 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#103  Postby Spiral Out » March 14th, 2017, 8:30 pm

-1- wrote:I don't see among the rules violations of logic, violations by self-contradictions, and violations by ignoring the pointing out of self-contradictions. I also don't see violations by calling some debating opponent's arguments "irrational" and "meaningless" and "zig-zagging" when they obviously are not, to a mindful and reasonable reader.


Logic is subjective. What is logical to one may not be logical to another. It's a matter of opinion. Also, it's an inherent part of debate to attack someone's arguments. What's your definition of "reasonable"? There's no objective rules to logic or reason.

-1- wrote:What I am complaining about is that some people don't see their own mistakes when they are pointed out to them, and instead of acknowledging them, they call the critiquer out on being irrational and incomprehensible.


Well, if they cannot see the logic or the sense in the critique then what else would they say?

-1- wrote:What to do in such cases?


Just move on. Are you trying to change their point of view? Are you trying to make them understand your point of view. Neither may be possible. I have tried many times to convey my own understanding of the Void but with little effect.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
User avatar
Spiral Out
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5008 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: June 26th, 2012, 10:22 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#104  Postby -1- » March 14th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Spiral Out wrote:Logic is subjective.


How DARE you to write that on a philosophy site? Logic is the ONLY thing in all human endeavour that is NOT subjective.

I am so angry reading this that I could blow up.

If you really think this, then in my opinion they should revoke not only your privileged status of whatever, but also your membership in this club.

"Logic is subjective." Now I've heard it all.

And please allow me to make you to get one thing straight: I am not being disrespectful. You are. To the entire field of philosophy.

If I get kicked out of this site because I left this very post, I will wear it as a badge of honour.
Sweat the small stuff... because then the big stuff will take care of itself.
User avatar
-1-
 
Posts: 610 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: December 1st, 2016, 2:23 am

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post Number:#105  Postby Fooloso4 » March 15th, 2017, 4:19 pm

-1-:

Spiral Out:

Logic is subjective. What is logical to one may not be logical to another.


How DARE you to write that on a philosophy site? Logic is the ONLY thing in all human endeavour that is NOT subjective.

I am so angry reading this that I could blow up.


That would not be a logical response.

The formal structure of a logic is objective in so far as the rules are internally consistent, that is, anyone playing by the rules should reach the same conclusion, but we can construct different logics with different rules. The rules of logic do not exist in some Platonic realm.

On this forum and elsewhere we find individuals who claim that their arguments are logical and therefore anyone who disagrees with them is being illogical. That you are being logical and someone who disagrees with you is not may very well your subjective opinion. If philosophy were simply a matter of formal logic then we would logically expect its history to mirror that of mathematics.

There is another sense in which we might say that logic is subjective, or more precisely, that logic is not coextensive with reality. The claim that what is illogical is impossible is an epistemological claim, not an ontic fact. Our inability to conceive of something marks a limit to thought, and unless one holds along with Parmenides that thinking and being are the same, not a limit to what is or was or will be. This is the key to understanding Aristotle’s discussion of something coming from nothing.

Parmenides brings us logically to Hegel and his Science of Logic, but this is not the place to follow the dialectical movement of his logic and the overcoming of the distinction between objective and subjective logic or thinking and being.
Fooloso4
Moderator
 
Posts: 2785 (View: All / In topic)

Joined: February 28th, 2014, 4:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback, Support & Forum Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Philosophy Trophies

Most Active Members
by posts made in lasts 30 days

Avatar Member Name Recent Posts
Greta 162
Fooloso4 116
Renee 107
Ormond 97
Felix 90

Last updated January 6, 2017, 6:28 pm EST

Most Active Book of the Month Participants
by book of the month posts

Avatar Member Name BOTM Posts
Scott 147
Spectrum 23
Belinda 23
whitetrshsoldier 20
Josefina1110 19
Last updated January 6, 2017, 6:28 pm EST