How long?

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Re: How long?

Post by Obvious Leo »

Lacewing. I was denied due process and given no opportunity to put my side of the story. I'm still unable to communicate with Scott but have no intention of pleading my case at this late stage. I have been subjected to all manner of offensive preaching throughout this site, a flagrant breach of the rules which appears to go unpunished. This preaching has often been accompanied with gratuitous personal attacks which suggest that my standards of personal morality are inferior to others because I don't share their infatuation with the supernatural. However the day you see me complaining about it to the thought police will be the day that hell freezes over. That's not the way we do things downunder.

Regards Leo
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Obvious Leo wrote:That's not the way we do things downunder.
Good on yer cobber.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Theists take note, this is how to do it:

1. Come to the forum and preach. Don't worry about the no-preaching rule, it's not enforced because people tend to respond rather than report (so far).

2. If someone provides a potent counter-argument that makes you look bad, tell them they are immoral due to their lack of divine guidance.

3. If the arguer responds to the slight in an intemperate way, report them and get them banned or moderated.

So I would like to start reporting theists when they preach and reduce the slack that they have been cut.

However, I will need guidance as to the interpretation "preaching" in the rules to avoid wasting time and effort. Obviously we can't, and don't want to, report theists for stating what they believe, but I'd like to know even roughly where the line is drawn so future potential conflicts can be short circuited by philosophically problematic posts.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Greta. From a strictly personal point of view I don't particularly care what anybody wants to say about anything. I just don't think that anybody has the right to call me an inadequate human being just because I don't agree with them. Why not just call me an idiot instead, like we do in this country?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Leo, many secular-minded posters who come into conflict with theists at some point are accused by theists that as a non-believer they are necessarily morally deficient. I think at one stage in and old thread someone said I was a demon.

The accusations tend to come after one makes a point that threateningly probes the core of their beliefs and then the theist lashes out as protection and distraction. We can treat these kinds of accusations as proof that we are doing a good job, because that's what they are.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Greta wrote: I think at one stage in and old thread someone said I was a demon.
You're in deep ****, Greta, so bolt the doors and hide.

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"...Exodus 22:18
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Leo, if I'm a demon then shouldn't others lock their doors? Not that will help. Locked doors are no impediment to us demons, eh?

Seriously, I would like an example of preaching that warrants moderation. I see what appears to be a great deal of preaching on the forum but, seemingly, it's considered to be okay. Either that, or it's assumed that moderation occurs naturally via debate.

This begs the question as to why the goose and not the gander? Is it that only directly abusive comments involving epithets are considered to be a dealbreaker and all other rules are only effectively a guideline?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Lacewing wrote:
Scott wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I think you have answered your own question.
But Scott, I have a LOT of questions! 8)

My point is that there are other people who have repeatedly shown that they cannot moderate themselves, and they have not received the same "corrective" outcome. And yes, reports have been filed. But the results seem inconsistent. Some end up in the moderation queue while others don't. Some seem to get a warning that they might be sent there, while BAM!, others just land there. And there seems to be no understanding about how long that might last... and it seems to vary. People who invest a lot of energy here... and even people waiting to get onto the site... really deserve a little more feedback about what to expect. It feels terribly disrespectful and "blown off" to be on the receiving end of such extended silence. Simple standard messages that say, "Here's what you can expect..." could alleviate a lot of frustration. It just seems like a considerate thing to do. I would even be willing to help craft the standard messages... since I'm a writer and that's what I do.

I am very grateful for this website, and all of the enjoyment and insights that I have gained from it. And I know that it must surely be a huge, often thankless, job to set up and maintain such a thing. As a User, I'm offering feedback (which has been encouraged by the site), and I can only hope that it will be considered to be helpful... rather than just seen as an irritation.

Leo has been on his best behavior, and yet he remains locked up without any idea of how long it could go on? Would any of us want to be in that position? It seems unkind... and I'm not understanding why that's necessary.
I appreciate the feedback.

If the specific poster you mention wants me to share with you personally or publicly the record of previous warnings before this I can. Otherwise, I will not discuss the specifics like this unless it follows the Procedure for Complaining about Moderator Actions.

If I am to come up with a specific clear policy on how to handle this kind of situation of repeated rule violations and what the member can expect, the policy will be to ban the members who have repeatedly violated the rules. The seeming arbitrariness and lack of clarity is due to my extreme generosity.

How many times would you invite me over to your home under the condition I take my shoes off, because in this hypothetical you do not allow people to wear shoes in your house, if each time I ignore your request and enter your home with muddy shoes and get dirt and mud all over your nice furniture? How many times would you allow this to happen before you just said simply that I cannot come over anymore?

-- Updated 11 May 2015 01:02 pm to add the following --
Obvious Leo wrote:a flagrant breach of the rules which appears to go unpunished
Unless you reported the posts containing said "flagrant breach of the rules", then complaining about it as such is inappropriate, per the Procedure for Complaining about Moderator Actions.

You have to follow the rules and report--not complain in general--when others break the rules per those same rules. That's how it works here.

If you don't like the rules and procedures here, you are free to not use this website.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Lacewing
Premium Member

Post by Lacewing »

Scott wrote:The seeming arbitrariness and lack of clarity is due to my extreme generosity.
I understand, Scott. And that generosity is indeed appreciated! I was guessing that such flexibility is actually to our advantage. I really do not wish for more rules or strictness. I very much enjoy the colorful conversations and honest exchanges on this site!

In the case of someone being put into the moderation queue -- I was basically thinking of it as a sort of "time out" or "sit in the corner" kind of thing. And without having the ability to contact you for clarification, or to find out how long their sentence might be, it seemed a bit cruel to throw them into an indefinite black hole. But maybe that's the error on my part -- as it sounds like you may be saying it's INTENDED as an unfriendly and isolating deterrent, just short of being banned? Sort of like locking someone out of the house, but not kicking them out of the town.

In which case, I'm sad it may be that serious in this situation. Admittedly, I find it refreshing sometimes when someone blurts out something inappropriate (which others seem to be thinking too). But, clearly, it carries a high risk.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Couldn't we have a separate forum, exclusively for abusive behaviour?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Harbal wrote:Couldn't we have a separate forum, exclusively for abusive behaviour?
That is what almost all of the internet is.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Scott wrote: That is what almost all of the internet is.
I take your point, Scott. Sorry.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

And my question?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Scott wrote:If you don't like the rules and procedures here, you are free to not use this website.
Do you want me to take my bat and ball and go and play elsewhere, Scott? Is that what you're trying to do? If so I suggest you first take a closer look at what I'm trying to say around the joint. There are a lot of people very interested in what I have to say, and I in turn am very interested in what they have to say about what I have to say. There is some serious high-octane philosophy going on on your website which you appear to be unaware of. It might never have crossed your mind that a philosopher might turn up one day who has actually written his own philosophy but are you quite certain that showing such a philosopher the door is such a smart idea?

Before you do something you might later on regret I suggest you consult with some of the people who are actually reading my stuff.

Regards Leo
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

The rules don't require posts be made with high-octane. They require other things. I'm happy to welcome anyone including you in these discussions who will follow those rules, just as I am happy to have people over my home for coffee so long as they take their shoes off before walking on my carpet.

Incidentally, as a general rule of thumb, I have found that those kind of posters who do not resort to petty, off-topic personal attacks and ad hominem arguments against other posters usually have much better, stronger and more philosophical arguments. Those kind of rule violations tend to be a symptom of one's weak argument, I find. That's generally speaking of course.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream