New member frustrations

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Spiral Out

Re: New member frustrations

Post by Spiral Out »

Remember, it's the rules, whether natural or constructed, and the limitations thereof that make any undertaking interesting and worthwhile. Without these, it's just chaos.

Take a moment to think about what this site would be like without the rules that have been laid out.

Imagine chess without rules. The game would be no fun at all and utterly pointless.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Toadny
Favorite Philosopher: Toadny

Post by Toadny »

Spiral Out wrote:Remember, it's the rules, whether natural or constructed, and the limitations thereof that make any undertaking interesting and worthwhile. Without these, it's just chaos.
Poorly constructed rules don't do anything to make an undertaking interesting and worthwhile though.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Toadny wrote:Poorly constructed rules don't do anything to make an undertaking interesting and worthwhile though.
Well... if any set of rules were poorly drawn up, it's the Christian religion. Yet its rules compelled the European person to discover America, and other continents, while civilizations concurrently and before and after were stagnant, even if developed in other cultures. European Christianity with its incredible weight suppressing the most basic human needs created a cultural explosion which propelled a previously unimaginable acceleration of progress. (Whatever way you want to define progress.)

Bad rules are liberating when thrown off; and they necessitate rebellion. That's about the best thing about them, but they sure help progress to develop.

"Mint az orult, ki letepte lancat,
Vagtatott a haladas Europan at."
Ignorance is power.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

I will never say the Christian religion rules are poorly drawn up. How could it be responsible for the modern progress if the rules were poorly drawn up? Rules are made with specific purpose, "peace and order." Every rule in whatever undertaking is based on the Ten Commandments which guides and direct the way of life of a community of people to get along in peace and order. It is written by God who is also the Creator of mankind. To spread the gospel of Christ was the basic intention of the first explorers in the 15th century. They were obeying the Great Commission to "go and make disciples of all nations. . . ." "Mathew 28:18-20). Mankind long for peace on earth. That peace can only be obtained by following rules of conduct in every given undertaking. If you don't want to follow the rules given by the creator of this forum, no problem. Just quit. That is my personal suggestion.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Toadny wrote:Poorly constructed rules don't do anything to make an undertaking interesting and worthwhile though.
I don't find any of the forum rules to be "poorly constructed". In fact, I think they are well thought out and effectively address the issues that have historically plagued internet forums in general.

What is interesting and worthwhile is the challenge is to speak your mind effectively (no matter what's on your mind) within the limitations of the rules, which are pretty reasonable.

It's one thing to say the rules are poorly constructed, it's another thing altogether to support that statement with a well-constructed argument.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Josefina1110 wrote:I will never say the Christian religion rules are poorly drawn up. How could it be responsible for the modern progress if the rules were poorly drawn up? Rules are made with specific purpose, "peace and order." Every rule in whatever undertaking is based on the Ten Commandments which guides and direct the way of life of a community of people to get along in peace and order. It is written by God who is also the Creator of mankind. To spread the gospel of Christ was the basic intention of the first explorers in the 15th century. They were obeying the Great Commission to "go and make disciples of all nations. . . ." "Mathew 28:18-20). Mankind long for peace on earth. That peace can only be obtained by following rules of conduct in every given undertaking. If you don't want to follow the rules given by the creator of this forum, no problem. Just quit. That is my personal suggestion.
Josephina, you are mistaking laws for rules. And rules for laws. As per use by Christianity.

You wish I quit. I can't abide with this much display of personal hatred. Please retract that proposition. Thanks.
Ignorance is power.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

I'm so sorry, hate was not in my mind at all. I think it depends on how you read my post. Your words "poorly drawn" was just not right in my opinion. Laws and rules are corollaries, I suppose. Kids invent games and they have to follow the rules of the game they want to play. I am just defensive of the delicate topic that you introduced in your post. I did not wish you quit. I just suggest you quit if you can't stand to abide by the rule particularly in this forum. One thing I would remind you is that this is a game. You specifically invoked a discussion by putting down rules drawn by Christian religion. I suspect you are not a Christian. I am. That is why I am sensitive to this kind of criticism.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Josefina1110 wrote:I just suggest you quit if you can't stand to abide by the rule particularly in this forum.
If you read my words carefully, you are misunderstanding me. Because I have no issues with the rules of this forum. I had had issues, in the past, over a year ago, and I carefully described what those issues were. (A catch-22 situation.) Then I wrote that that'd been the past, the present is rosy. Or something to that effect.

For your information, since you are so concerned, I have no problems with the rules of this forum. I abide by them, and I have no problem abiding by them. Please don't think otherwise.

On the other topic you touched upon, whether rules are laws, or the other way around, I insist there are differences between rules and laws.

On the other topic you touched upon, whether everything we do in socially organized, acceptable fashion is based on the ten commandments, and therefore it is a christian achievement, I differ. Other cultures arrived at the same laws, independently from the ten commandments. Therefore christianity does not own law and order, and it does not own the basis for civilized behaviour.

Furthermore, christianity had rules and still has some, not as many as in the past, and not as bitterly restrictive, that restrict natural, harmless behaviour of people, for no reason whatsoever other than their contradicting readings in the bible. This is what I refer to when I say "the rules of christianity are badly drawn up."

You are welcome to disagree with that. However, please note that bible quotes do nothing for me to increase my understanding of history, morals, and human nature. I reject the bible as the word of god, and I reject the notion of a god in existence. I simply believe there is no god, just as much as you believe there is one.

Lastly, I appreciate that it upsets you to read bitter words about christianity. I am sorry, but I can't help that. This is a site devoted to philosophy, not to promote christian ideals. (Although one has to wonder about that as of recent, reading the super-religious fanatic bible-thumping fundamentalist posts that are getting more and more numerous on this site.) I am not breaking any rules, and I am not hurting your sentiments on purpose of hurting you, but on purpose of agreeing with your sentiments hurt me.

Yes, it hurts me to read strong, philosophically unsupported opinions on the defence of christianity as much as it seems to hurt you to read philosophically supported criticism of the bible.
Ignorance is power.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

Then please don't start involving anything about Christianity in your posts. We will just be hurting each other because I have to defend my belief hard. Talk about something else that don't touch our faith. Think of a topic that will not point to my God as the conversation or debate goes along. If you can think of anything let me know. I will certainly give my opinion. I cannot think of anything that doesn't involve God. So you start a good one. You mentioned "art." Anything outside science is art so that will still boil down to faith. So I don't want to discuss that.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Josefina1110 wrote:Then please don't start involving anything about Christianity in your posts. We will just be hurting each other because I have to defend my belief hard. Talk about something else that don't touch our faith. Think of a topic that will not point to my God as the conversation or debate goes along. If you can think of anything let me know. I will certainly give my opinion. I cannot think of anything that doesn't involve God. So you start a good one. You mentioned "art." Anything outside science is art so that will still boil down to faith. So I don't want to discuss that.
This is the very embodiment of unreasonableness on a philosophy forum. The very act of philosophy is to fly in the face of religious dogmas - to expose them for their manipulations and myth-making, to clear away the clouds of confusion they have cast on humanity. That is its very point.

If you are made unhappy by criticisms of religion then consider what that means for you at the forum going forward. Do you foresee many conversations that will enlighten and inspire you?

Are you are compelled to defend criticisms of Christianity on every website? Why focus on this forum?
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

The only reason I say not to involve Christianity is that you say you are hurt as I am defending my stance and so do I. I like this forum. But the rule is not to attack each other. But I have to defend your criticism. If you look at the banner of this forum, that is the cover of my book. That is why I am encouraged to keep up with this forum. I hope you understand. The problem is that you don't make comments on my replies. You judge by saying something like "full of hatred." I was commenting on your words "poorly drawn rules of the Christian religion." And you think I hate you for that. Is there hatred in defending my views? Now you are suggesting for me to quit just like did to you. We are just chasing rabbits here.

-- Updated December 16th, 2016, 6:52 pm to add the following --

I wonder why other guests don't give their opinions about what we are discussing. Would somebody, please speak up!
Toadny

Post by Toadny »

Josefina1110 wrote: If you look at the banner of this forum, that is the cover of my book.

I wonder why other guests don't give their opinions about what we are discussing. Would somebody, please speak up!
Are you saying you are the author of that Voice of Creation book?
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

Yes, Sir. But I am not allowed to talk about it here. You just answer the question on this forum if chapter one of that book convinces you. It means you need to read it.
Thanks for asking.

-- Updated December 18th, 2016, 12:53 am to add the following --

At least you read the review on this "reviews" topic on Online Book Club.
Toadny

Post by Toadny »

I read chapter one of that book. I wrote to Scott to express my disappointment at him for asking us to read it. It's an insult to our intelligence to suggest that we could be persuaded by such drivel. The book is not philosophy, it's an incoherent, ignorant rant. Scott himself acknowledges that it reads like "crank literature", I still don't understand his motivation in asking us to read it, that seems like very poor judgement on his part, in view of the very low standard of discussion that prevails here. Philosophy forums by their nature attract cranks and deluded obsessives, posting rubbish like your book and pretending that it is worthy of serious consideration will only encourage their participation.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

You were just asked if chapter 1 persuaded you. If you are not persuaded then you are not. What is your problem? The book is not rammed into your throat. Why did you even read it or finish reading the whole chapter? Only to put down the author and the forum? What is rubbish to you is a treasure to others so don't generalize. There is no pretense there. Half of the world population are believers. Of course, there are adversaries like you. Thank you for reading.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream