An idea. Looking for participants

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Burning ghost

An idea. Looking for participants

Post by Burning ghost »

I would really like to start a "topic/s" with the aim of having people, who choose to participate, to write an essay of 500-1000 words on the said topic.

The point of this being as a way of improving writing ability within a limited framework.

The first topic I was thinking of starting with is exactly what this whole process is based on.

So the title of the first essay would simply be "How to write an essay."

I was thinking of setting a certain time limit (likely 2-3 weeks depending on the subject matter) on this and for participants to be willing to not only take critique, but to give it also. Of course if lots of people are interested in this then it will be difficult to read and critique all pieces, but I don't expect more than a few people to be interested in this (if any?)

I am very much committed to expanding my knowledge and improving my general writing ability. I understand that some topics may grab your attention more than others so I would not expect everyone to participate and post an essay for every topic.

I would set out some general rules such as not allowing more than one or two quotes (preferring the essay writer to exercise the use of their own words rather than relying on those of others all the time), but insisting on bibliography of source material where appropriate.

ANYONE INTERESTED??

Note: If this is not considered an appropriate exercise for this forum then I hope the mods will inform me and I can only ask for other members to PM me directly if this is the case.

I was simply thinking of posting something like this in lounge area and something akin to it in General Philosophy Forum where even those who don't wish to participate can at least comment more briefly on the subject and offer their take on this or that essay as they see fit.

Thanks
AKA badgerjelly
Albert Tatlock

Re: An idea. Looking for participants

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Burning ghost wrote: So the title of the first essay would simply be "How to write an essay."
Well that's me out then, I don't know anything about how to write an essay. I suppose I'll have to wait until you pick a subject I do know something about.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I guess this is a sign of the times. Honestly feeling like forums are of less and less use to me :(
AKA badgerjelly
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Albert Tatlock wrote:
Burning ghost wrote: So the title of the first essay would simply be "How to write an essay."
Well that's me out then, I don't know anything about how to write an essay. I suppose I'll have to wait until you pick a subject I do know something about.
Instead of ruling this out because you don't know anything about how to write an essay, a more productive question might be ' Why write an essay...on a philosophy discussion board?

The reasons given by burning ghost seem to be:
1. To improve general writing ability
2. To have a limited framework: 500 - 1000 words
3. To have a set time-scale: 2- 3 weeks
4. To give and take critique
5. To expand knowledge

I quite like this idea. Who wouldn't want to improve writing - all the better to clarify thought process?
However, an essay of 500 - 1000 words is, I think, too much to ask for.
Also, how many here have the experience/ training/ willingness to offer positive feedback ?
To expand knowledge of what ?
Why do you write?

A desire to be aesthetically pleasing. In rhythm and sound.
A way to think out loud without pre-judgment.
To share facts; speculate on their truth value.
To persuade or prick set attitudes.
To listen and understand.

So, even if we don't end up writing an essay on a philosophical topic, isn't learning the craft of writing important? Why not a mini-essay. An attempt. An effort. No rules.
Could be a basic intro, a main part, and a conclusion.
Or just jump in with an:
I think that writing an essay on a philosophy forum is daft because:
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Why a sign of the times ?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Perhaps we could make a recurring essay contest with different topics each time. I could buy the winners some kind of small predetermined prize. Like an Amazon gift card or a hardcover copy of one of the Books of the Month.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Scott wrote: December 9th, 2018, 10:35 am Perhaps we could make a recurring essay contest with different topics each time. I could buy the winners some kind of small predetermined prize. Like an Amazon gift card or a hardcover copy of one of the Books of the Month.
I’d be happy with this with or without the prize. I wasn’t really thinking of it as a competition simply as an exercise of exploring people’s ideas without any necessary research involved.

I come up with a question to ask myself two or three times a month and write a little about it. Often I am surprised how much of what I write seems like it’s written by someone more knowledgeable than myself! Haha!
AKA badgerjelly
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

I think I'd possibly be interested in participating in whichever format you guys decide. I think half my posts turn into 500-1000 word essays to my expressive detriment, anyway. I do think Albert Tatlock makes a reasonable point -- each of us have different interests, so maybe you could cast a wider net if you allowed for self-directed topics. Or perhaps you could source questions from yourself or other participants as a range of suggested topics to write about. I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
RJG

Post by RJG »

I think BG's idea is a great idea. We all need to improve our writing skills. Also, I like Scott's idea of making it a competition with a prize, though I don't know how it could be judged, unless it was voted on by the group, but then each person would have to refrain from voting for their own essay.
JaxAg
New Trial Member

Post by JaxAg »

This looks interesting! Where should westart? Here?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Monologues give people a chance to get things off their chests without the sidetracking that inevitably happens in forum tete a tetes.

If I could make some readability suggestions:

1. Reading online is physiologically more difficult than reading hardcopy. Thus, it's considered to be more effective web writing to use more paragraph breaks than one might do in print. Large slabs of text online that are largely uninterrupted by whitespace turn many potential readers away (especially those with tired eyes from a long day looking at screens).

2. Aside from para breaks, please consider the possibility of a sub-heading or two to break things up.

Cheers.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

JaxAg wrote: December 17th, 2018, 1:24 am This looks interesting! Where should westart? Here?
My thinking was to pick a topic (in question form) every month.

If we have say 5-6 people willing to take part in this then I guess starting in January would be a good target. I am not concerned about competitions and prizes - I guess Scott can decide on that.

I also think it would make sense not to use quotes or citations, but to simply express thoughts and musing on a given question rather than have to focus on anything too specific (although that could be an option if the writing group shares some common knowledge).
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

A word limit should also encourage self-editting. Plus, like Greta mentions, I’m not inclined to read much on electronic screens because my eyes don’t like it.
AKA badgerjelly
JaxAg
New Trial Member

Post by JaxAg »

Greta wrote: December 17th, 2018, 1:56 am

If I could make some readability suggestions:

1. Reading online is physiologically more difficult than reading hardcopy. Thus, it's considered to be more effective web writing to use more paragraph breaks than one might do in print. Large slabs of text online that are largely uninterrupted by whitespace turn many potential readers away (especially those with tired eyes from a long day looking at screens).

2. Aside from para breaks, please consider the possibility of a sub-heading or two to break things up.

Cheers.
Yep! Short sentences, and short paragraphs, help comprehension and are easier on older eyeballs!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I have to admit that I'll leave "How to write an essay" to someone else as my interests are rather more esoteric. Just as long as there's generous amounts of whitespace or, in the case of this forum, pale bluespace or yellowspace :)

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream