Popup

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
Belinda
Contributor

Popup

Post by Belinda » April 15th, 2009, 4:58 am

Is this 'Markus' popup paying revenue to Philosophy club? If not , cannot it be got rid of?

Felix

Post by Felix » April 19th, 2009, 10:07 pm

A link for "Active Topics" or "Todays Active Topics" would be convenient - save having to look for topics of interest.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: Popup

Post by Scott » April 28th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Belinda wrote:Is this 'Markus' popup paying revenue to Philosophy club? If not , cannot it be got rid of?
There are no pop-ups on this website. If you are seeing pop-ups, I assume it is because you have adware on your computer. I recommend finding some good anti-malware and anti-virus scanners. The only other possibility I can think of is that the website has been hacked, but I doubt that considering nobody else has reported pop-ups.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Dewey
Contributor

Popup

Post by Dewey » April 28th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Felix wrote:A link for "Active Topics" or "Todays Active Topics" would be convenient - save having to look for topics of interest.

Felix, the "View posts since last visit" function comes pretty close to serving that need.

daisy

pop-ups here also

Post by daisy » May 18th, 2009, 9:45 pm

I just wanted to concur with a previous post. I am getting a LARGE amount of pop-ups as well! FYI

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » May 18th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Check your computer for adware and other malware. I have not gotten any popups. What are the pop-ups advertising?

The only way they are coming from this site is if the website itself was hacked, which I doubt. I think it is more likely that your own computer has adware on it that causes the popups. Do the pop-ups advertising the same product when browsing other websites?

Belinda
Contributor

Post by Belinda » May 19th, 2009, 6:08 am

The popups in question purport to be from a juvenile called Marcus or markus who seems to run a dating website. These particualr popups happen only when I am on philosophyclub which is why I mentioned them here instead of looking to my software.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » May 19th, 2009, 11:01 am

What browser do you use? Have you scanned your computer for adware?

Next time you get the popup please PM me the HTML from the page it popped up from. (To get the HTML, you probably want to click on 'view' or 'edit' in your toolbar and then go to 'page source' or 'view html'. Please also PM me the URL that the ad directs you to.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » May 19th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Also, how frequently do you get a popup?

Would you be able to use a public library or a friend's computer to browse the website for a little bit and see if you get the popups?

whitetrshsoldier
Contributor
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Post by whitetrshsoldier » May 20th, 2009, 1:18 am

I can say that I haven't had any problems. Not to say that other users aren't experiencing them - maybe just that the standard firewalls at my house/work are picking them up.
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"