larger print?

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
athena
Premium Member

larger print?

Post by athena »

I have happily discovered someone else would prefer larger print. I say happily, because it is nice to have agreement. I find larger and darker print much easier to read.

As we age, it is normal to have a harder time reading small print. Most people want to deny their changing reality, or for financial reasons put off getting glasses. And then there a few eye conditions such as macular degeneration and diabetes that cause vision problems and then these people get closed out of social activities, especially those involving vision.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but it is common for older people to loose both their vision and hearing, and they can become very lonely as people avoid them, or they avoid social situations because they have these problems. These forums could provide something for all these people that other forums do not. A more easy to read social opportunity. This is as needed as affordable medical care, but generally over looked by the masses who do not have experience with the problems and just don't realize what it is like to need larger and darker print.
born to master the art of love
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

This is something that can be changed on anyone's home computer or browser. You can magnify any web-page from your own browser (try looking under "View" in your browser). You can also increase the default text size. So there is no need to increase the text-size for everyone to accommodate people with visual difficulties.

I have noticed that some people are writing almost all their posts in large print. This is supposed to be used like the bold, italic or underline feature, i.e. not on everything but for emphasis. I am working on a way to make it so that people cannot increase a whole post into large print. I may just eliminate the font-size option all-together.

Update: I have disabled font-size changes.
Last edited by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes on August 17th, 2009, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Homicidal Pacifist

Post by Homicidal Pacifist »

I too suffer from depleting vision and was using large text in part out of concern for other peoples' possible vision problems and just because it seemed easier for everyone.

Sorry for the abuse.

By the way, sometimes an entire post needs EMPHASIS.
"There is one thing stronger than all the armies of the world,
and that is an idea whose time has come."
Homicidal Pacifist

p.s. - I just tried the VIEW, LARGEST TEXT SIZE option on my browser and nothing changed.
Gearge

Post by Gearge »

If your using mozzila firefox (and have a three button mouse) CTRL+SCROLL enlarges a page.

If your not using firefox, I don't like that at all.
Apologies for the spelling.

I was not - I have been - I am not - I do not mind. - Epicuras

I abhor your views, but I am willing to die to defend your right to express them - Voltaire
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

You can also use zoom. And in Firefox, I know you can zoom just the text (which only makes text larger). One can also adjust the resolution on their own computer.

One or two posters using the largest text on all their posts really wouldn't help because everyone else's posts would still be at the site's default. Then when they use their own personal computer and browser settings to adjust how big the default is for them, the posters using larger print would have super large print that is probably so large it is hard to read.

The larger print feature is not about the size the text actually appears to others, but how big the text is in relation to other text. This is just to add emphasis, but this can be done with bold or italic print.
Gearge wrote:If your not using firefox, I don't like that at all.
I also greatly recommend Firefox. It also has a built in automatic spell checker, which is especially useful. And if your computer crashes, it sometimes auto saves half-written posts that you were making in text boxes.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Homicidal Pacifist

Hey Scott, I just discovered the zoom (ctrl + and -). That works. Thanks.
athena
Premium Member

Post by athena »

Yeap, I finally figured out how to work the zoom. Thank you Scott. Now you can put your enlarge feature back, because we now understand why you don't want us using it all the time, and what we can do make things easier to read on our computers.

The first step to enforcing a rule or law, needs to be, being sure the rule or law is understood. Obama, is excellent at explaining things. Bush was not. A democracy doesn't have liberty, when decisions are arbitrary and there isn't even a chance to discuss how things "should" be or a need for change, and rights and freedoms are just taken away. A democracy works with liberty works, when the people are informed and understand the importance of following the rules and laws, upon which the majority agree.

I keep writing about this stuff, because I think we are no longer conscious of the principles and how they work. In other forums, I am told the forum is not a democracy, and autocratic decisions are defended. I hope that doesn't happen here, because there is no point in me participating if it is not to increase awareness of the principles of democracy and how they work, and our individual responsibility in protecting our liberty and justice.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

I definitely apologize if I offended anyone by making changes without asking for feedback first or if I offended anyone with vision problems. I removed the larger print feature to protect people who have vision problems and who may need to increase the default font-size or page-size. If they were to increase the default text size and a handful of posts had larger print, then that larger print would become super-large and hard to read. With various post written in all different font-sizes, no matter what zoom-level or other browser settings they have, some posts would be hard to read; either one set would be too small or the other set would be too large.

Since bold and italic can be used for emphasis, I do not think we need the large print feature. At best, it's redundant.

I am thinking about slightly increasing the size of text in posts in relation to the rest of the site. Perhaps I can try it out and then I can have you all tell me whether you prefer it as it is now or with a slight increase. What do you think? I think it will be better with a slight increase, but it is hard to say because of course the website appears differently on different computers and we all have our own preferences.

Thanks!
Scott

athena
Premium Member

Post by athena »

Scott, you could just make people aware of the View function with an explanation of wanting to be vision impaired friendly. I love this function, now that I learned how to use it. I have bifocals, and was fighting with them, because neither looking through the top nor the bottom was ideal. With the larger print, I no longer have this fight and I am very happy about that.

I also wonder what would have happened if the king of England had been as nice as you are. Perhaps the rebels in the New World colonies would not have rebelled if the king had been so considerate? Wouldn't it be fun to redo history like a computer game?
RyanParenti

Post by RyanParenti »

I agree! large print!

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream