Use of the ignore button

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.

Do you use the ignore button?

yes
40%
no
60%

Total votes: 10

Juice

Post by Juice » September 9th, 2009, 12:22 pm

I will only use the ignore button on those who are too nice and slobberingly patronizing.

I have yet to encounter anyone better classically trained in insult than I. I welcome all comers.
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!

wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe » September 11th, 2009, 12:25 pm

athena, if one desires peace, they should be prepared for war.

Its not "stupid" its knowing the "enemy", and so much more.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » September 11th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Juice wrote:I will only use the ignore button on those who are too nice and slobberingly patronizing.

I have yet to encounter anyone better classically trained in insult than I. I welcome all comers.
Insults and personal attacks are against the forum rules (see #2).

I ask you and everyone to please report any posts that contain personal attacks or that are mean-spirited so that I can delete the post and warn or ban the poster.

Thanks,
Scott
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Juice

Post by Juice » September 11th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Just a joke and a little sarcasm Scott. I have yet to read any post where anyone has been unconscionably demeaning.
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!

whitetrshsoldier
Contributor
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Re: .

Post by whitetrshsoldier » September 12th, 2009, 4:33 am

athena wrote:It is about civility. I don't care to associate with crude and rude people, nor do I think it is a good thing to encourage them. This actually has international implication. I do not think we should behave in away that justifies terrorist. Good manners are just very important to me. Like I enjoy swimming, but would not swim in polluted water. Why would I indugle someone who is intentionally offensive? Isn't that a bit stupid?
Why shouldn't we act in a way that "justifies terrorists"?

I don't know what you think "justifies" the slaughter of innocent women and children without provocation, Athena. I would say NOTHING DOES. But I can assure that thinking people in their right minds should agree that simple words most definately do not.

As for your "choosing" not to associate with 'uncivilized' people, that is your choice, now isn't it? Who are you to define what is "civilized" and what is not?

To answer your question, Athena, the good of being offended is to 'entice' the senses to pay attention to that which would you would normally ignore. "Ignorance" being a condition which has historically caused fear, disapproval, hatred, racism, sexism, insolence, and other general intolerance. The point of this forum is to overcome those urges and to ENGLIGHTEN ONE'S SELF!

But I guess I'll refrain from my attempts at persuasion now, before I entice you to succumb to your 'terrorist' impulses! :roll:
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"