Editing of posts.

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].

Does wanabe deserve to edit posts at any time?(see bold)

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

Mark

Post by Mark »

athena wrote:Not being able to reply to individual post separately is another major irritation.
Some web-sites have the "quote"-command in the "topic review" after each post, making it easy to press the quote-button and "whooop", it is quoted in the "post a reply"-window!
athena
Premium Member

Re: Editing of posts.

Post by athena »

wanabe wrote:Being an older member(in join date) of the forums, I better remember a time when any user could responsibly edit their posts at any time. Recently some members, (haven't bothered to keep track of names) have abused this ability to edit, using it to erase negative and/or derogatory remarks so they are not caught breaking the forum rules. By this, all members have since lost this ability to edit because of the mistakes of a few.

In my opinion some members should be allowed to edit there posts (yes, that means we're not equal) after people have replied. They earn this by showing long-term overall responsible use of the forums. Who decides this circumstantial responsible use and its circumstantial duration; who better then all the members, by vote.

By the opinion of all the members, do I wanabe, deserve to be able to edit my posts at any time for the purpose of correcting and improving posts.

An alternative would be to restore this privilege to all but those accused of, and proven by scotts opinion, (our honorable and generous web master) to be misusing the edit feature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~edit~~~~~~~~~~
Since no one has replied I can edit this still:

I encourage others to make similar requests.
I think the attitude that assumes people are "using it to erase negative and/or derogatory remarks so they are not caught breaking the forum rules." is a bad attitude. As far as I know he could be talking about me, because plenty of times I have felt offended and snapped back something that I regret saying, and I have edited my post because I do not want to present myself to the world in such negative way.

I guess nothing has changed here since the last time I checked on the site.
born to master the art of love
Quotidian
Favorite Philosopher: Nagel

Post by Quotidian »

I have been told by Scott that editing of submitted posts is no longer available at all, except for via request to a moderator.
'For there are many here among us who think that life is but a joke' ~ Dylan
Consul

Post by Consul »

Quotidian wrote:I have been told by Scott that editing of submitted posts is no longer available at all, except for via request to a moderator.
Another bad decision. Post-submission editing should be possible for some minutes at least, say 5 or 10.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Consul wrote:
Quotidian wrote:I have been told by Scott that editing of submitted posts is no longer available at all, except for via request to a moderator.
Another bad decision. Post-submission editing should be possible for some minutes at least, say 5 or 10.
I appreciate you offering your opinion. My question is why? Why should it be possible for one to edit their post after submission for say 5 or 10 minutes?

Let us keep in mind that the forum rules require members to carefully proofread their posts and to use the preview function before submitting the post.

Let us also keep in mind that there is a save as draft button that a member can use if they think they may want to make additional edits at a different time.

Let us also keep in mind that, as other members pointed out earlier in this topic, we have had problems in the past with members going back and changing what they wrote to give a false impression of the whole conversation. Imagine listening to a recording of a phone conversation in which one of the people in the call went over the recording and re-recorded over parts of what they said before to say something different with the appearance that it was what they originally said.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Quotidian
Favorite Philosopher: Nagel

Post by Quotidian »

I think it is warranted to enable editing of posts before anyone else has commented on them, even if for a set time period. Regardless of how careful one is, one will often notice minor typographical errors or expressions that one might like to amend. I have posted on a number of forums, and this is the only one where *no* editing is allowed after posting.

-- Updated October 17th, 2014, 12:56 pm to add the following --

On another forum I used to post to, editing was allowed for 60 minutes after initial posting; you weren't allowed to delete posts after another post was made in the same thread; and if you edited a post after a further post was made, the number of edits was indicated.
'For there are many here among us who think that life is but a joke' ~ Dylan
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Scott wrote:
Consul wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I appreciate you offering your opinion. My question is why? Why should it be possible for one to edit their post after submission for say 5 or 10 minutes?

Let us keep in mind that the forum rules require members to carefully proofread their posts and to use the preview function before submitting the post.

Let us also keep in mind that there is a save as draft button that a member can use if they think they may want to make additional edits at a different time.

Let us also keep in mind that, as other members pointed out earlier in this topic, we have had problems in the past with members going back and changing what they wrote to give a false impression of the whole conversation. Imagine listening to a recording of a phone conversation in which one of the people in the call went over the recording and re-recorded over parts of what they said before to say something different with the appearance that it was what they originally said.
Let me comment on the last paragraph first. Let me say I was victimized by someone who edited his post to give a false impression he was winning a debate. Even with that, I'm still in favor of allowing the member to edit his post with 10 minutes after posting because the likelihood of anyone editing his post to make him- or herself look better in a debate is extremely unlikely and the post may still be edited after going through a moderator (a compromise).

As far as using various tools to help avoid editing later on, there's another tool that is also inevitable and that's the eraser at the end of the pencil to help erase mistakes. I think many would prefer to edit their own mistakes than share them with others (meaning moderators). And I don't have full confidence in a queue moderator after the title of one of my submitted threads was changed for some inexplicable reason.

PhilX
Consul

Post by Consul »

Scott wrote:
Consul wrote:Another bad decision. Post-submission editing should be possible for some minutes at least, say 5 or 10.
Because one sometimes fails to notice in the preview that a correction or addition should be made. Man is not perfect.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: And I don't have full confidence in a queue moderator after the title of one of my submitted threads was changed for some inexplicable reason.

PhilX
FYI, I am a queue moderator and I do not believe that I have the power to change the title of anyone's thread. All I can do is to approve or disapprove a post as it is. I could be wrong though. I may not grasp completely the full extent of my powers.
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote: And I don't have full confidence in a queue moderator after the title of one of my submitted threads was changed for some inexplicable reason.

PhilX
FYI, I am a queue moderator and I do not believe that I have the power to change the title of anyone's thread. All I can do is to approve or disapprove a post as it is. I could be wrong though. I may not grasp completely the full extent of my powers.
Thanks for your response EB. I've always assumed the title was unchangeable (to let you know, the word "example" was added to my title which doesn't make sense).

PhilX

-- Updated October 17th, 2014, 11:41 am to add the following --

One more thing before I forget. I work off of my smartphone so even in preview, if I hit the wrong character (including spaces), then it could easily show up in the posting which won't be readily corrected.

PhilX

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream