Dreyfus' Heidegger Berkeley 185 Course discussion group

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Kafkaontheshore
New Trial Member

Dreyfus' Heidegger Berkeley 185 Course discussion group

Post by Kafkaontheshore »

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anybody on here would be interested in creating an online discussion group for Hubert Dreyfus' Berkelely 185 Philosophy course on Being and Time which is available as a free podcast from iTunes, and the syllabus also available online (I am not able to post links yet, but they are available).

I was thinking that we could create a sort of open blog on wordpress, or maybe a discussion group on google groups, to discuss each week - if, that is, anyone else is interested in getting to grips with Heidegger. It would be possible to set up an entry for each week so that people can move at their own speed with it and then contribute back to those who are struggling etc. It would be great if we could get a large group of people to contribute from different perspectives, especially if there is a varied focus in terms of secondary literature.

It is worth bearing in mind that you need to be relatively well informed in terms of at least some other key figures - whether that means Aristotle or Descartes, Derrida or Husserl - you are going to need some decent philosophical standing from which to approach this to get enough out of it to make it worth while.

That said, I really think that from what I have listen too so far that this really is a brilliant course, but one that would benefit from some sort of group discussion. I thought I would air the suggestion here and if people liked the it I thought I would post it some other places as well.

So what do you think, does this sound like a good idea?

Cheers,

Sam
Fhbradley
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley-McTaggart-Russell

Re: Dreyfus' Heidegger Berkeley 185 Course discussion group

Post by Fhbradley »

Being and Time is just simply not worth reading. To be frank, not much in the continental tradition is.
Kafkaontheshore
New Trial Member

I can't measure the extent to which I disagree with that statement! Who do you think are the key philosophers this century then? Quine maybe? Russell? I mean their projects are just manifest failures! All the important Anglo-American philosophers that are around today - McDowell, Brandom, Pippin, Davidson (until recently Rorty) etc. - would just fundamentally disagree with such a statement. And such a broad one; I mean the ignorance of the continental tradition has led anglo-american philosophy down such an utterly pointless, empty path. It isn't until Sellars that things got moving again in the US - Wittgenstein and Austin in the UK - and Sellars himself is just reiterating the Hegelian point, no doubt somebody else who to you is simply not worth reading. I'd be interested to know how much of B+T you have even attempted to read and to really understand. Nonetheless, I don't mean this to be a argument - if your not interested thats fine, but please don't write ignorant statements to put off other people.
Fhbradley

Post by Fhbradley »

Kafkaontheshore wrote:I can't measure the extent to which I disagree with that statement! Who do you think are the key philosophers this century then? Quine maybe? Russell? I mean their projects are just manifest failures! All the important Anglo-American philosophers that are around today - McDowell, Brandom, Pippin, Davidson (until recently Rorty) etc. - would just fundamentally disagree with such a statement. And such a broad one; I mean the ignorance of the continental tradition has led anglo-american philosophy down such an utterly pointless, empty path. It isn't until Sellars that things got moving again in the US - Wittgenstein and Austin in the UK - and Sellars himself is just reiterating the Hegelian point, no doubt somebody else who to you is simply not worth reading. I'd be interested to know how much of B+T you have even attempted to read and to really understand. Nonetheless, I don't mean this to be a argument - if your not interested thats fine, but please don't write ignorant statements to put off other people.
I was not trying to put you off. I apologize if it came off that way. Anyways, Russell and Quine are from the 20th (Quine passed away in 2000), so they couldn't be the key philosophers of this century. Russell is one of the main contributers in revolutionizing logic, so I would hardly call his project a failure. Sure, logic wasn't ultimately reducible to logic, but that's not the point. If being wrong in a few areas made a bad philosopher, then there has never been a good philosopher. As far as Being and Time, yes, I understand it. I'm not going to lie and said I've read all of it, but I have read through essential parts. To give an extremely short summary, it's a polemic against representationalism and Cartesianism. He wants to contend that the Cartesian way of looking at human beings is fundamentally wrong (and thus by doing this he dissolves a whole host of philosophical problems [mind-body, the external world, etc.]). One way of doing this is by showing how we are in our everyday averageness. There, objects are ready-to-hand. Objects are tools, not things we go on theorizing about etc. etc. you know all this already. I just feel that there are no arguments. It's just a bunch of assertions dressed up in fancy language-terminology. I believe that philosophy is defined by its arguments, and that nothing without argument cannot be properly called 'philosophy'.
Kafkaontheshore
New Trial Member

Fair enough, I mean I think you are wrong (For example, the subject-predicate calculus underlying the logicians project is just an assertion itself (in that it says there are self sufficient objects that have properties) - albeit one of the most tenacious kind - and in that sense Heidegger's account improves upon theirs in that it is better able to represent the phenomenology of our experience. Also objects are not just ready to hand, they are also present to hand in that traditional way (we can look at objects as if they are objects with properties and investigate them, but this is not what we ordinarily do), just what he finds is that this mode of being (=mode of intelligibility) is derived from the former. The idea that Heidegger is without argument is simply scandalous...) but at least you weren't trying to put people off (I didn't really mean me, but that hardly matters).
Fhbradley

Post by Fhbradley »

Haha, I just realized I wrote, "logic wasn't ultimately reducible to logic." What I meant say was that mathematics wasn't reducible to logic. I'm interested in where you think Heidegger's arguments are. Could you refer to me a section in B&T where you think he actually makes an argument for his contentions?
APhilosopherInEssex
New Trial Member

Post by APhilosopherInEssex »

At the risk of what, online, is called 'necromancy': I am unsure that Being and Time even meant to offer arguments. For Heidegger conceived that book as, at least in part, a work in 'phenomenology'; and phenomenology is meant to work (at least in large part) through a certain kind of description, rather than argument. To that extent (and there are some arguments in the book, or at least parts that can be reconstructed as arguments; for instance, section 44 is at least fairly argumentative), the following holds. To dismiss Being and Time for lacking arguments is to beg the question against phenomenology. However, and as that last statement indicates, one can ask, with some justice, for an argument for the whole phenomenological approach to philosophy. . .

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream