Beginning Philosophy Reading

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
L00KING
Favorite Philosopher: Me

Beginning Philosophy Reading

Post by L00KING » July 30th, 2013, 2:55 am

I am not currently in College, but, I would like to study Philosophy on my own. I have taken Ethics in College and have discussed Kant there. It would be a great service to me if someone would please help me figure out what to read first. Otherwise I might not get the basics down before I try to dive into a complicated book and try to discuss it. Does anyone have an idea of a reading list or at least two books that would start me off on the right foot? I would really appreciate help from people who actually enjoy philosophy rather than taking advice from people who don't really get anything out of philosophy for themselves personally. I hope that I am not being a nuisance in asking. Really, I would ask anyway. Thank you to anyone who replies.

Gamnot

Re: Beginning Philosophy Reading

Post by Gamnot » July 30th, 2013, 11:48 am

"Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scruton and "Practical Logic" by Barry and Soccio

L00KING

Post by L00KING » July 30th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Thank you Gamnot for responding so quickly. I truly appreciate it. I would like to add you as a friend. I hope that is agreeable to you. Thank you for giving me somewhere to start in my studies.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » July 30th, 2013, 10:39 pm

I would be glad to have you as a friend.

L00KING

Post by L00KING » July 31st, 2013, 2:14 am

Gamnot, I found a book while looking for the books you suggested and am reading it now. I do plan to read the books you suggested as well. The book I am reading tonight is 50 Philosophy Classics Thinking, Being, Acting, Seeing, Profound Insights and Powerful Thinking from Fifty Key Books by Tom Butler - Bowdon. I will let you know when I begin reading either of your suggested books.

Wuliheron

Post by Wuliheron » July 31st, 2013, 1:33 pm

Wittgenstein- puts previous philosophies in context.

L00KING

Post by L00KING » August 1st, 2013, 5:23 pm

Thank you WULIHERON for the suggestion. I am half way through the book I am currently reading but I will look up the description of the book you suggested right away.

Wuliheron

Post by Wuliheron » August 1st, 2013, 5:38 pm

With Wittgenstein it is his later works that are important. I recommend, "Wittgenstein's Poker" for the novice.