Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

We choose one philosophical book per month to read. Then we discuss it as a group.

Nominate books to be philosophy book of the month.

UPCOMING BOOK

June 2017: The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus

Ami
Favorite Philosopher: Autie Miller

Re: Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

Post by Ami » May 28th, 2013, 12:07 am

T. Rivas, 2012; Positive Memories

"[118 c]ases of positive memories of erotic and platonic relationships and contacts of children with adults, as seen from the perspective of the former minor"
Fun enjoyable days.

Elliott_90

Post by Elliott_90 » June 1st, 2013, 3:16 pm

I would like to nominate "Zorba the Greek" by Nikos kazenstakis.

A beautiful and profound philosophical novel detailing the protagonists yearning to embody the spirit of his polar opposite, Zorba, who although isn't an academic, is a man of the world who lives with his flesh in the moment.

A lot of the stories depth comes from the dialogue between the protagonist and Zorba in their little hut on an isolated Cretan island. This book wonderfully captures the heart and struggles of men.

Kepler1571
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Kepler1571 » June 6th, 2013, 1:44 pm

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a list of the books that have already been PBOM?

Trinity

Post by Trinity » June 18th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Not quite "philosophy," in the usual sense: Understanding Fiction, Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren, copyright, 1943.

Hope this does not violate rules too much, but also reading Orson Scott Card's Character and Viewpoint, copyright, 1988.

Thanks, for the nudge.

Therealdjcamm
New Trial Member

Post by Therealdjcamm » July 18th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I'm a new user here so I apologise if this nomination is somewhat counter to what you all may be desiring but I would like to recommend Olaf Stapledon's 'Last and First Men'.

Whilst it is a work of fiction that spans billions of years of future history, the themes presented are deeply philosophical to such an extent that the narrative itself forms a kind of literary simulation of existentiallity from a non-anthropic perspective. It's not an easy read due to its unconventional prose but well worth the effort for anyone interested in future studies, deep time and the anthropomorphic principal.

Thought_2000

Post by Thought_2000 » August 1st, 2013, 6:36 am

New to the forum I would like to nominate Essays on Order, Books 1 - 4 by author Chuck Pyburn. A mind bending collection of topics on the thought process of the human condition. The minds on-going struggle between order and chaos is interesting.

Synopsis;

As the human condition moved from stone knives to lasers there has always been one constant that accompanied mankind on this journey, the struggle between chaos and order. At the low end of this struggle is poverty, hunger and suffering while at the high end is control, power and lust. Understanding and becoming aware of this struggle and to what extent an individual may exercise order over chaos in this struggle is the focus of the Essays on Order.

Only in recent memory has mankind advanced far enough in technology to effect the dissemination required to put together this collection of essays. While the lessons of the essays have always been known, they have never before been written. It is to this extent that the collection has been assembled and offered with the endearing thought that the why of the human condition may now be affected.

The Essays on Order are a four book collection of essays that define the human condition one thought at a time. Each book contains twenty essays with the first essay of the first book establishing the premise from which each consecutive essay is derived. The essays are singular in topic and provide a critical evaluation of that topic as it relates to the individual, the group and to the population at large. The topics addressed by the essays escalate from the benign through the extremely complex. And lastly, the essays are not dependant on a particular moment or person as the human condition has, and does, exist for all.

While not everyone will be able to read the essays, it is with great chagrin that everyone must live the essays.

Author - Chuck Pyburn

Mattmaximillian
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Mattmaximillian » August 16th, 2013, 10:57 am

Hey all, what does everyone think about reading "The Twilight of Idols" by Nietzsche. This is a very interesting/controversial book that would provide great discussion.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."- Nietzsche

Samhud

Post by Samhud » August 17th, 2013, 11:47 am

sounds like a great idea. I am going to get a hold of the book

-- Updated Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:48 am to add the following --

sounds like a great idea. I am going to get a hold of the book

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » August 18th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I nominate "Philosophy in a New Key -- A Study in the Symbolism of Reason, Rite, and Art" by Susanne K. Langer.

Samhud

Post by Samhud » August 18th, 2013, 2:40 pm

sounds good, my local library has it so i should be able to pick it up.we have two books for the nominations next month. I think we usually have minimum 3 books and max 5(?) so we still have place for one more. Does anyone have any suggestion. if no one comes up with something I will recommend a book by the 20th.

i had the Philosophy of Jean Paul Sartre by Robert Denoon Cumming in mind (Vintage Books, ISBN 1-4000-7632-3) in mind.

Futurefossils

Post by Futurefossils » September 5th, 2013, 9:58 pm

I nominate "Endgame" by Derrick Jensen.

Samhud

Post by Samhud » September 6th, 2013, 1:48 am

okay so we have 3 nominations for the Month of September.

1.The Twilight of Idols by Nietzsche.
2. Philosophy in a New Key : A Study in the Symbolism of Reason, Rite, and Art by Susanne K. Langer
3. Endgame by Derrick Jense

Wiccamary
New Trial Member

Post by Wiccamary » September 17th, 2013, 2:03 am

Hi guys.. i suggest this book Dream book of wicca queen... It's really amazing one... You never hate this... try this site to know more about her dream of wicca queen

Mattmaximillian
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Mattmaximillian » September 18th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Hey all, "On the Genealogy of Morals" by Nietzsche would be an interesting work to discuss!
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."- Nietzsche

PaulNZ
Favorite Philosopher: Marcus Aurelius

Post by PaulNZ » October 3rd, 2013, 3:35 am

"The Righteous Mind - Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion" by Jonathan Haidt. Moral intuitive judgements made first, followed by our strategic reasoning to back up our initial intuitive thoughts. Group and multi level selection is back in vogue. Haidt describes humans as 90% chimpanzee and 10% bee and after reading the book, I can see why. Very interesting and highly recommmended ;-)