Discuss Beyond Good and Evil

If you have purchased any recent or upcoming Philosophy Books of the Month, please email [email protected] with a copy or screenshot of your receipt, and your account will be upgraded to premium, which comes with many benefits, including but not limited to:

- Significantly reduced ads

- Posts are not held for moderation

- Ability to approve pending topics/posts in the moderation queue

- Access to official contributors' forum where you can make and vote on suggested changes to the website and policies, including the forum rules.

How do you rate Beyond Good and Evil?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
14%
2 stars - okay, fair
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
26%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
50%

Total votes: 42

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Discuss Beyond Good and Evil

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Please use this topic to discuss the February book of the month, Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche.

What do you think of the book? On what points in this book do you most agree with Nietzsche? On what points do you disagree and why?

Overall, I enjoy Nietzsche's writing. I think he is witty and original (for his time, now many of his ideas are cliche). But for a philosopher I find his writing disorganized and his arguments lacking. Here is a funny sentence about this and here is a witty original sentence expressing an idea about that. It's fun to read, but it isn't a philosophical argument. In my opinion, it shares more in common with modern day stand up comedy (which I love) than with modern day philosophy.

What do you think?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Thatsage

Re: Discuss Beyond Good and Evil

Post by Thatsage »

I'd like to ask if you have read later works by Nietzsche? Perhaps your opinion would've changed because BGE is indeed quite like a show really, but maybe his later works would be more "philosophical" to your taste?

BGE was pretty much the second "proper philosophical" book I've read, and it's rather dear to me. I loved the style, passion, and the "obscurity" and "secrecy" he lays down throughout the book (and it's a good thing only because he is such a good writer). It's just fascinating, and I think I have learned much from this work.

There's a fair bit I didn't quite understand, but I didn't find it to be lacking or disorganized, maybe because I haven't yet read much other philosophical books. I think much credit is also to be given to the translation, which I think is probably very good.
Julio_sanchez

Post by Julio_sanchez »

An interesting book to say the least. Excruciatingly messy, but I did enjoy some aspects of the book. It felt more like someone ranting and just saying whatever came to their mind at the time then real writing. I don't mind hearing what he has to say but I don't see myself reading anything else from Nietzsche. Interesting but no explanations.
Damorobo

Post by Damorobo »

I read this book for A level philosophy and I found large chunks of the writings esoteric or vague. However, I think one of the key points of the book was Nietzshe's critique of hitherto Western philosophy and its reliance upon the grammatical structure of language.

The best example of this was his critique of Descartes' 'I think, therefore I am'. I think that Descartes' was suggesting that the 'I' was the agent that gave rise to the thinking. However, Nietzsche suggests that it was the thinking that gave rise to the 'I' and that the only way to grammatically express a thought was to state 'I think'.

From this Nietzsche illustrates that Cartesian notions of human agency are derived from the grammatical structure of our language and are not necessarily representative of reality.

From this I learnt that language does not necessarily represent reality accurately and how the structure of our language can shape our perceptions of reality. Furthermore, I think this is an important critique of philosophy in general as much of our philosophical arguments are based upon an imperfect language and highlights the importance of not being mislead by our language.
Fleetfootphil

Post by Fleetfootphil »

How the hell can you unsubscribe drom this place?
DeeElf
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by DeeElf »

Scott wrote:

Overall, I enjoy Nietzsche's writing. I think he is witty and original (for his time, now many of his ideas are cliche). But for a philosopher I find his writing disorganized and his arguments lacking.
This is generally accurate but it also reflects his contempt for how decadent philsophy had become through its inststence on Organization and Argumention (in a sense, this makes him a pre-cursor to Wittgenstein and the pragamatists). So it's not really a criticism to say his arguments are lacking because he was constantly questioning the validity of organized argument.

However, he also made organized arguments when he judged them appropriate. For instance, you will find no better introduction to epistemology than in his early Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks (it's the one my professor started with), where we find a very organized analysis of the pre-Socratics culminating in his conclusion: the juxtaposing of Heraclitus and Parmenides, and the argument for why he thinks Heraclitus trumps Parmenides.

You'll also find organized arguments against Plato, Kant, and democracy in his late Twilight of the Idols and The Anti-Christ.
"Arguments seldom make converts in matters philosophical." -W. James, Principles, Vol. 1, p. 468

"Argument is propaganda for one observer, the essence of human discourse for another." -Feyerabend, Against Method, p. 236 (2010)
Comrade Collie

Post by Comrade Collie »

Beyond Good and Evil belongs to Nietzsche's aphoristic period. For various reasons , both personal and stylistic, Nietzsche choose not to set forth his ideas in this book in a complex and systematic way, as noted in the post above.
Cinman
New Trial Member

Post by Cinman »

One should try reading Jenseits von Gut und Bose auf Deutsche instead of the usual antiquated Kaufmann translations because of Nietzsche's creative use of semantics. BGE Nietzsche I believe is first to question the value of our will to truth and shows that this will is not as objective as we believe. We are all too human and seek escape beyond this "paltry world" into the timelessness of Being, God, or whatever else. The prejudice of all philosophers and men in general is the we cannot see the world as it is but must find some category, some inner essence, som timeless Being to skip into. Here Nietzsche lays the foundation for critical existentialism and clear thinking. Van Keister
Pastabake

Post by Pastabake »

That you could describe Nietzsche's BGE as clichéd is actually a compelling reason to read it, unless you only like reading obscure uninfluential philosophers.
Mark J Windle
Favorite Philosopher: Geoffrey Boycott

Post by Mark J Windle »

Scott wrote:Please use this topic to discuss the February book of the month, Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche.

What do you think of the book? On what points in this book do you most agree with Nietzsche? On what points do you disagree and why?

Overall, I enjoy Nietzsche's writing. I think he is witty and original (for his time, now many of his ideas are cliche). But for a philosopher I find his writing disorganized and his arguments lacking. Here is a funny sentence about this and here is a witty original sentence expressing an idea about that. It's fun to read, but it isn't a philosophical argument. In my opinion, it shares more in common with modern day stand up comedy (which I love) than with modern day philosophy.

What do you think?
I notice that Beyond Good and Evil is February's book of the month (in which case, I just missed it). Nevertheless, your post inspired in me the following observation/question.

When you say of Beyond Good Evil that 'it isn't philosophical argument', it seems to me that you have concluded that 'philosophy' resides in argument and cannot be of any other form. Would this be a fair description of your thinking?

If it is a fair description, then your true interest here, Scott, is 'philosophical argument' and not, in fact, philosophy. Again, would you consider that a fair description of your thinking?

(I've just joined the site and this is the first thread I've looked at. If my observations/questions belong elsewhere, so be it; I'll soon learn.)
Markb287

Post by Markb287 »

I wish I had seen this sooner. Beyond Good and Evil is one of my favorite philosophy books and I find myself returning to it every few months or so to refresh to it.

Beyond Good and Evil is not simply a rant against current philosophy. It's a critical text on what philosophers do when they philosophize. Nietzsche is focused on uncovering the prejudices, assumptions, and values that motivate the argumentation and understandings philosophers use. This is why Nietzsche isn't so much worried about presenting arguments against philosophers as he is about simply pointing out where philosophers are making leaps, hiding certain motives, universalizing, and excluding or marginalizing certain thoughts.

The most important and influential insight that Nietzsche unveils in this text is that the crux of Western philosophy, from Plato to Hegel, is predicated on the unconscious (and, for Nietzsche, false) belief in the power of language to "reveal" or give the truth. Language cannot give the truth of anything. Language is simply a convenient system we use to produce understanding through images. However, Western philosophers have been seduced into believing that language can do much more than this, and all their philosophies (which, for Nietzsche, are misunderstandings) basically come down to this false belief.

The philosophy of the future, for Nietzsche, depends upon our ability to rid ourselves of this prejudice of language.
Cinman
New Trial Member

Post by Cinman »

It is impossible to reduce Nietzsche to a nutshell, but he means more than just ridding ourselves of the prejudice of language. It runs deeper into our nature desire to see the good in everything as philosophers are prejudiced in that their ultimate premises leading to the neverland of the absolute are mere projections. Nietzsche is ultimately saying in BGE is that all we have concerning a rationalistic philosophy of the word is mere projections, wishful thinking, and pie in the sky. BGE lead up to his masterpiece, "The Will to Power."
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

Damorobo wrote;

“The best example of this was his critique of Descartes' 'I think, therefore I am'. I think that Descartes' was suggesting that the 'I' was the agent that gave rise to the thinking. However, Nietzsche suggests that it was the thinking that gave rise to the 'I' and that the only way to grammatically express a thought was to state 'I think'.”

Julio_sanchez wrote;

“It felt more like someone ranting and just saying whatever came to their mind at the time then real writing. “

wayne wrote;

With what little I have read, more like heard, about Nietzsche and what has been said about Nietzsche in the discussion of Beyond Good and Evil, I would say that Nietzsche was a Space-Cadet. Wayne Wrote;

I Think is not why I am, I Am because I think that I am more than a mere animal, that I am God Like, All Knowing, resulting in my being a Know-It-All; Everything coming to mind being the absolute truth, fact, Reality; I to include my world of Reality being born of my own Imagination; which I prefer over the Material, Physical World of Reality as experienced by the senses of the Flesh Body, My living in a Spiritual, the Immaterial Reality of My own Mind, Thought..

Know one thing;, living in your thoughts, Imagination, will cause the Mind to whirl, with the possibility of One becoming a Space-Cadet.

No doubt, being all knowing, who ever I am, I am an original product of my own mind, thoughts, Imagination: I am my own Creation, created in the Image of a God; I being All Knowing, a Know-It-All, I having a serious Ego Problem; I not existing as Material, Physical, Reality, I simply existing as my own Consciousness, as a Spiritual Being.

All this confusion as to who and what I am being caused by my eating of the Fruit, my consumption, of Knowledge that has a dual quality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge, the Knowledge of Good and Evil born of mine own Imagination.

The Knowledge of Good and Evil being born of a Single Source, being Absolutely Bad Knowledge, Knowledge not born of the Experience of the Flesh but instead Knowledge having a Dual Quality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge mistaken to be Absolutely Good Knowledge, the Knowledge of Good and Evil being born of the Mind, Man’s Illusionary World of Reality.

A philosopher, living in his imagination, is an inventor, a creator, of Ideas, thought; thoughts that are incomplete, being based upon a pittance of Reality that comes to mind in a Flash of Insight; thought coming to mind as nothing more than a half Truth.

The problem with an organize argument is that you can have an organized argument that is completely the wrong argument.

Your argument can not be proven wrong if your argument is never organized so as to come to a Logical conclusion; in fact more likely than not a philosophical Argument has no logical conclusion, philosophical thoughts not being based upon Empirical Fact, being illusionary.

Thoughts made manifest Reality by the All-Knowing, a Know-It-All, being little more that a half-truth; Knowledge having a dual quality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge born of thought leaves the existence or non-existence of the Knowledge of Good and Evil Uncertain; Absolutely Bad Knowledge being mistaken to be Absolutely Good Knowledge, having a dual quality, exists as the Knowledge of Good and Evil. There is a beyond Good and Evil; Get ride of Absolutely Bad Knowledge, Knowledge born of a Single Source. Knowledge having a dual quality, get ride of Half-Truths born of incomplete thought, the Imagination, born of the mind, the Imagination.
MazerRackhem

Post by MazerRackhem »

I agree that the prose is rather wandering and I wish there was a bit more organization to it, though I understand that it is rather characteristic of Nietzsche. I would say I enjoyed BGE, though in the manner one enjoys a book in which nuggets of truth or interesting thought are found midst the noise of the rest. While I found BGE's prose to be more straight forward and compact I personally liked Thus Spoke Zarathustra a bit better. Though the prose was a bit more drawn out and the points the author was trying to get at a bit harder to pull apart I found the style somewhat more appealing on the whole than BGE.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

The only reason to read Nietzsche is if you are curious as to why a screwball can be so famous.

Return to “Older Philosophy Books of the Month”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream