I'm Sick of Normal

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
LKATheApologist1
New Trial Member

I'm Sick of Normal

Post by LKATheApologist1 »

Hello friends, thinkers, fellow daydreamers and professional worriers,

I'm going to be straight up with you guys, finding this forum is freaking awesome! The subject of this topic is a fact. I have grown absolutely sick and tired of having normal conversations, with normal people, about the normal things that are going on in their lives. I'm all for listening to how your day went, but at some point my brain craves some stimulation; a conversation where I can sink my metaphysical teeth into something intellectually juicy, and engage the depth of human rationality. I don't know if I'm just quibbling over nothing or if you guys share my feelings of contempt but, what I love more than anything is getting into a hot debate or cordial conversation where I leave feeling like I've just shared a beautiful experience with another human--a conversation in which we dove deep into the wonders of life, logic, faith, science, philosophy and ultimately our personal beliefs about the whole shabang. I truly hope that I can come here as a getaway from the monotony of everyday life and normal people, and get into some really strange conversations on topics ranging from quantum physics to artificial intelligence and consciousness.

I have a background and degrees in Psychology and Philosophy and my highest interests are in phenomenology, philosophy of mind, cognitive psychology, aaaand human behavior. I'm a firm believer in Jesus Christ, so obviously conversations about God, theology, and metaphysics don't scare me. In fact I WELCOME ALL CHALLENGERS!!! PLEEAAAASE push me to the very brink of human logic and argumentation so I can sharpen my skills and be able to better defend my faith/belief system. Point out the holes in my arguments. I'd love that honestly.

Thanks for sharing this time with me. I'm looking forward to having riveting, thought provoking, and brutally open conversations with every single one of you. The beginning of discovery starts with sharing, so I hope you all will share your personal stories and interests with me as well.

All the best homies.

LKA.
Fooloso4

Re: I'm Sick of Normal

Post by Fooloso4 »

Is there an apologetics of apologetics, that is, a defense of the felt need to defend your faith?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The whole a/theist debate is becoming rather dull and repetitive, running through the same ineffectual loops.

What would be more interesting is for other theists to challenge your version of the faith. We already know the atheist view and it hardly need reiteration - that the events claimed in ancient Middle Eastern mythology are as fantastical and unlikely as the claims of mythologies of other places and times.

In the battle between rival faiths in this play of metaphysical survival of the fittest why would the Middle Eastern Jewish version be considered superior to other mythologies? Aside from the Islamic golden age around a thousand years ago, it's not as though Middle Easterners have proven themselves to be the most reliable observers and reporters of things. Perhaps the Chinese, Indian or Japanese descriptions of reality might be more reliable? Or perhaps the modern perspective, with the benefit of so much more experience and exploration, is the most reliable?
Gamnot

Post by Gamnot »

Are you familiar with the Christian existentialists line of thinking? I am very well familiar with Kierkegaard, Berdyeav, Gabriel Marcel and others.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

LKATheApologist1 wrote:I'm looking forward to having riveting, thought provoking, and brutally open conversations with every single one of you.
When are you going to start and who are you going to start with? Will you be doing us in alphabetical order?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: March 31st, 2018, 7:10 pm The whole a/theist debate is becoming rather dull and repetitive, running through the same ineffectual loops.
Hungarian saying: There is no new joke under the sun. But to a newborn every joke is new. There are no old jokes; only old people.

In a way I comptletely agree with you: for me, too, the charm and rejuvenating joy and refreshing mind-culture is getting stale in bashing religion-heads and their impossible ideas that religions plant irremovable in their minds. If I get tired of doing that, which I am wont of more and more often, I reach out and make some funny posts to entertain myself.

Meaning, that to a newbie on the forums religion-bashing or atheist-confounding is just as exciting as it were to you and me sixty years ago.

So go on, young braves, fresh out of the grade school of hard knocks, and do it in highschool what we got tired of doing on the post-doctoral level.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

-1- wrote: June 27th, 2018, 9:36 am
Greta wrote: March 31st, 2018, 7:10 pm The whole a/theist debate is becoming rather dull and repetitive, running through the same ineffectual loops.
Hungarian saying: There is no new joke under the sun. But to a newborn every joke is new. There are no old jokes; only old people.

In a way I comptletely agree with you: for me, too, the charm and rejuvenating joy and refreshing mind-culture is getting stale in bashing religion-heads and their impossible ideas that religions plant irremovable in their minds. If I get tired of doing that, which I am wont of more and more often, I reach out and make some funny posts to entertain myself.
Yes. The battle lines are set and all that remains is for players to slot in and play their expected roles.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: June 27th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Yes. The battle lines are set and all that remains is for players to slot in and play their expected roles.
Rejoyce, glory is ours; our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers; the tapes have recorded their names.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

-1- wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm
Greta wrote: June 27th, 2018, 6:49 pm
Rejoyce, glory is ours; our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers; the tapes have recorded their names.
While the past recedes ever more rapidly in this age of froth and bubble, the germs remain within the machine, to be renewed in more felicitous times.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: June 29th, 2018, 7:19 pm
-1- wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm

While the past recedes ever more rapidly in this age of froth and bubble, the germs remain within the machine, to be renewed in more felicitous times.
Every plane is shot, the arrows fly... were the victims of our wars gone down? Shield your body in the arrows' range... let there be no sorrow, feel no pain.
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

Hey -1-, you have a really fricking cool image! Just liked to say that while we aren't in the argument forum crap
LKATheApologist1
New Trial Member

Fooloso4 wrote: March 31st, 2018, 11:26 am Is there an apologetics of apologetics, that is, a defense of the felt need to defend your faith?
First, I am so sorry for this late response I totally forgot I made one of these smh. But I guess the apologetics to the apologetics is that based out of love of God and people. Sometimes you feel the need to present positive arguments against the attacks. Ultimately because one believes in heaven and hell and wants all to choose the former and well to choose Jesus.
LKATheApologist1
New Trial Member

Sy Borg wrote: March 31st, 2018, 7:10 pm The whole a/theist debate is becoming rather dull and repetitive, running through the same ineffectual loops.

What would be more interesting is for other theists to challenge your version of the faith. We already know the atheist view and it hardly need reiteration - that the events claimed in ancient Middle Eastern mythology are as fantastical and unlikely as the claims of mythologies of other places and times.

In the battle between rival faiths in this play of metaphysical survival of the fittest why would the Middle Eastern Jewish version be considered superior to other mythologies? Aside from the Islamic golden age around a thousand years ago, it's not as though Middle Easterners have proven themselves to be the most reliable observers and reporters of things. Perhaps the Chinese, Indian or Japanese descriptions of reality might be more reliable? Or perhaps the modern perspective, with the benefit of so much more experience and exploration, is the most reliable?
Sorry for the late reply my friend…you’re so right though, it does become repetitive input output type of conversations between atheist and theist, but every now and then the conversations can be worth the while.

I was agree debates and discussion between theists ought to happen more often. Interestingly enough the debates should incorporate the whole corpus of information available, history, literature, socio-politico-economic effects, culture, but ultimately the conversation will land in the spirit. Theists believe in the spirit realm and their experience of it and make statements and claims concerning it and God. So that’s where things can get very interesting to compare spiritual truths to spiritual truths. For me all debate in this realm revolves around John 3:16 if the New Testament. What do you think?
LKATheApologist1
New Trial Member

Gamnot wrote: June 21st, 2018, 6:06 pm Are you familiar with the Christian existentialists line of thinking? I am very well familiar with Kierkegaard, Berdyeav, Gabriel Marcel and others.
Forgive me for the very late response! But woah I didn’t know Kierkegaard was a Christian wow that’s awesome! Do you know what denomination or doctrinal beliefs? As far as the others I have heard of them except maybe Marcel…
LKATheApologist1
New Trial Member

Sy Borg wrote: June 27th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Hey sorry for the late reply! Haha wow I can tell you’re really smart and I totally agree with you! I’ve tried my best to not fall prey to that, and I did when I was a younger on fire hotshot for Jesus Christ. But now my fire has grown maturely and it’s all a matter of sincerity in conversation. It’s not about the religious conversation but getting to the brass tax, is Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior. Do you believe in His message about eternal salvation? Do you want to know Him and His love for you and plan for the latter years of your life? Of course no means no, but if I write and speak and something strikes the heart/soul/spirit well then I say a friendly and even juicy conversation can certainly be had lol it’s not about knock down arguments but about The Truth! Hopefully that makes sense? Best!

Return to “Introductions”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream