I'm Now Old Enough To Know That Death Is Real

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Platos stepchild

I'm Now Old Enough To Know That Death Is Real

Post by Platos stepchild »

I often think about death, specifically mine. Not that I'm morbid, mind you. Not unless you count waking up each morning, and thinking about all the people who'll die that day, and how most aren't even aware of what's coming. I also wonder about the people who'll wonder the same thing on my last day. How many will idly speculate about what'll be the countdown to my final breath? Hey; Tic-tock, tick-tock..., don't waste your time thinking about death until it's time! But, the gag is, who knows when that is?

Of course, I can't imagine my own death, inasmuch as whenever I attempt to imagine my death, I inadvertently posit myself as doing the imagining. In other words, I'm very much alive, despite the attempt to imagine otherwise. I can contemplate my death, though; and I can fear it. This awareness is supposed to light-a-fire under me. I'm supposed to then make-every-moment-count. But, is it really easier to die, if I minimize all my regrets? Sure, it sounds plausible. But, how can I make any assumptions about a truly unique event, which death is?

Death is the only future event which is a foregone conclusion. Everything else in the future is contingent; it may or may not happen. True; the particulars of death are contingent. But the event itself, shorn of it's particulars is as though it's already happened. Death uniquely binds our pasts and our futures. We, therefore die outside of time, although we're seen to die in our final moments. Yeah, we all walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Yet, we're not even sure how far we must walk to reach our uncertain end, much less whether there is an end.

It may seem odd, but I don't really speculate on the particulars of my death. Given that I'm diabetic, and unless I stroke-out peacefully in my sleep, I expect it'll be painful. I've watched someone die, before; it took all night. There was a lot of phlegmly shuttering; each time seemed like it'd surely be the last. But it wasn't, until it finally was. Mucus, bile, and an inaudible whimper all fled her body in that final moment. But, the valley's gate shut immediately behind her, before I could glimpse the gloom. So, I often think about death...
Misty
Premium Member

Re: I'm Now Old Enough To Know That Death Is Real

Post by Misty »

Platos stepchild,

One can cure oneself from type 2 diabetes, please watch - Hungry for Change movie/documentary. It can be seen for free on youtube, xfinity, etc..

Sincerely, Misty
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Platos stepchild

Misty wrote:Plato's stepchild,

One can cure oneself from type 2 diabetes, please watch - Hungry for Change movie/documentary. It can be seen for free on youtube, xfinity, etc..

Sincerely, Misty
Well, if not diabetes, then it's something else. Once breath becomes precious, you realize there'll eventually be a final one. Then you fixate on what would'ave the one immediately after that.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I too think a lot about death, especially so after my sister died at around my age. Soon afterwards I had a scare that had me wondering overnight about some scan results. For a long time I believed that we just died and that was that, until I realised that it was as much of a belief as those of theists.

I'm not convinced that the subjective realm is as contingent on the objective one as we tend to think, mainly because our senses are so blinkered and dull. No matter how advanced we become we will still miss a lot because we are trying to analyse what is outside of us as though we were not part of that same reality. So everything we perceive is necessarily relative.

I've often tried to imagine the moment when it really is IT. Can there be a more poignant moment in life? All of the barriers and walls are down and you are there, completely vulnerable and on the verge of being turned into a spate of phone calls, emails, conversations, sadness, recollections, administration, legal adjustments, a grave/fertiliser, ash in an urn/fertiliser, a temporary organ farm or an educational organic model.

All those memories. All those useful things you learned that you never managed to pass on. Gone.

As for our own experience, I think that the moment of death will be the most blissful of our lives, a complete letting go all all concerns. With exponential time dilation as death approaches, perhaps even a significant or eternal afterlife could be subjectively experienced in the final second/s of life?

It's ironic that death - of disappearing - is amongst our greatest fears, yet that is what we all yearn for every night. To temporarily disappear. We become tired, need a break. We are all eager to surrender the self. Just as long as we know we'll wake up again. Perhaps that is how it is with life and death? Perhaps death is just another level of surrender in the continuation of particular patterns of life? This particular Plato's Stepchild or Greta will disappear from the Earth, but the law of averages suggests that entities who are very much like us will appear from time to time.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Platos stepchild wrote:
Misty wrote:Plato's stepchild,

Sincerely, Misty
Well, if not diabetes, then it's something else. Once breath becomes precious, you realize there'll eventually be a final one.

"Then you fixate on what would'ave the one immediately after that"

Your last sentence not clear.

On another topic you said you stopped taking medications and was waiting to die. (which sounded like any second) Did you resume taking your meds?

"I'm now old enough to know that death is real." How old is old enough? Death is no respecter of persons, thus, visits all ages. I have thought of death periodically throughout my life and have always considered it real.

Platos stepchild

Misty wrote:
Platos stepchild wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Well, if not diabetes, then it's something else. Once breath becomes precious, you realize there'll eventually be a final one.

"Then you fixate on what would'ave been the one immediately after that"
(Nested quote removed.)

On another topic you said you stopped taking medications and was waiting to die. (which sounded like any second) Did you resume taking your meds?

"I'm now old enough to know that death is real." How old is old enough? Death is no respecter of persons, thus, visits all ages. I have thought of death periodically throughout my life and have always considered it real.

When I said, regarding our final breath that we [f]ixate on what would'ave been the one after that, I meant that we yearn to know what it'd be like to have lived one more breath. Death, as the cessation of life, is absurd. And because it's absurd, I decided not to try and orchestrate my own death. As much as I abhor the artificial extension of my life with pharmaceuticals, I abhor the petty drama of calculating my final breath by not taking them.

Here's a question for you: when you were experiencing the dread of finding out the results of your scans, it sounded like death would'ave made all the joy in your life a profound waste. Given that the results were apparently negative, is it still your belief that, in the shadow-of-death, joy a waste?

-- Updated December 2nd, 2015, 9:44 am to add the following --

I **** up that last sentence. Disregard the whole posting. It's nothing but ****.

-- Updated December 2nd, 2015, 9:46 am to add the following --

I hate being censored. I f u c k e d up that last sentence. Disregard the whole posting. It's nothing but s h i t.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Platos stepchild wrote:
Misty wrote:

When I said, regarding our final breath that we [f]ixate on what would'ave been the one after that, I meant that we yearn to know what it'd be like to have lived one more breath. Death, as the cessation of life, is absurd. And because it's absurd, I decided not to try and orchestrate my own death. As much as I abhor the artificial extension of my life with pharmaceuticals, I abhor the petty drama of calculating my final breath by not taking them.

"Here's a question for you: when you were experiencing the dread of finding out the results of your scans, it sounded like death would'ave made all the joy in your life a profound waste. Given that the results were apparently negative, is it still your belief that, in the shadow-of-death, joy a waste?"

Platos stepchild,

Thank you for explaining what you meant.

Your last paragraph/question must have been meant for Greta as it was she who mentioned having a scan.

Misty

Platos stepchild

I messed up. Please disregard this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It's okay, PS. You responded to something I said but said it to Misty:
Here's a question for you: when you were experiencing the dread of finding out the results of your scans, it sounded like death would'ave made all the joy in your life a profound waste. Given that the results were apparently negative, is it still your belief that, in the shadow-of-death, joy a waste?
I think a cancer diagnosis would have felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole, or over a metaphorical event horizon. Nothing would ever be the same again. I would have having many "this is the last time that ..." moments. There would be enormous sense of loss and realisation of good things taken for granted and the small challenges I pointlessly amplified, but also a realisation that life does involve "wearing filters" and pretty well everyone makes these kinds of existential mistakes and it's okay. If we were all perfect we wouldn't still be evolving.

In a sense death is very routine and ubiquitous in all history - both natural and human. It's only our success at gentrifying our existence that makes death seem so mind blowing. Also humanity's emergent intellect isn't sufficient to understand what's really going on. Everything about our current orthodox thinking on the subject smells of superficiality and placeholder hypotheses. Our descendants (or intelligent life elsewhere in the universe) will develop a far deeper understanding of life and death. At least then they won't be as subject to the fear of the unknown as their ancestors.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Platos stepchild wrote:I messed up. Please disregard this forum.
We all mess up at times, Platos stepchild, there is no shame in it. We all feel bad when we mess up but others understand and forgive because they also mess up and need understanding and forgiveness.

Hope you will continue to interact with us.

Sincerely, Misty

-- Updated Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:10 pm to add the following --

Platos stepchild, I have answered your pm but you need to open your mailbox so I can send it. Misty

New_View_of_Physics
New Trial Member

Post by New_View_of_Physics »

When I was very young I had a thought of what it was to die. The family was watching a black and white western in a movie theater and the film broke. They was nothing on the screen but white and we were told that we had to leave. So I thought that death must be the same. Ages and eons will pass and I will never know what happened. And would never know again anything! Luckily I saw something else when I was 17. I met a girl in High School who said she was dying and later I asked God about it. Sitting at the edge of my bed I closed my eyes and asked God why. The whole room started to rotate, shrink, and vanish. I opened my eyes nothing had moved, everything was like it was. So I closed my eyes and asked why. I felt the whole universe spinning around me sinking and vanished. I was flying over this dark ocean and I saw that the words I was thinking "Lord, why?" was me like puffs of light coming from me and moving forward. I came against some type of barrier and fought to go through it.
I woke up finding that I forgotten to breath. I searched my memory on what happened and saw a shadow of a man who said "Yes we know. We are very proud of her." And that was all I could remember.
I don't know if this is any help to you. Later on I heard a lot of people talk about a near death experience and talk about events like I encountered. I would rather call them a near life experience. I've always been scientific in my thinking and to have a reality different than what my mind can relate to has been an eye opening experience. However being scientific I kept it quiet until I could understand it. I am now 68 and if you want you can download my book for free; google "Little Book Open" Butterworth or go to my site google subspacescience no space. Hope that this is of a help. The younger generation is being lied to. The universe is much richer and wider than our leaders want to admit. And everything is going to change suddenly. Your kids or grand kids could live on Mars. We are just about ready to explore space. But we will find what is inside of us even richer.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Greta wrote:I too think a lot about death, especially so after my sister died at around my age. Soon afterwards I had a scare that had me wondering overnight about some scan results. For a long time I believed that we just died and that was that, until I realised that it was as much of a belief as those of theists.

I'm not convinced that the subjective realm is as contingent on the objective one as we tend to think, mainly because our senses are so blinkered and dull. No matter how advanced we become we will still miss a lot because we are trying to analyse what is outside of us as though we were not part of that same reality. So everything we perceive is necessarily relative.

I've often tried to imagine the moment when it really is IT. Can there be a more poignant moment in life? All of the barriers and walls are down and you are there, completely vulnerable and on the verge of being turned into a spate of phone calls, emails, conversations, sadness, recollections, administration, legal adjustments, a grave/fertiliser, ash in an urn/fertiliser, a temporary organ farm or an educational organic model.

All those memories. All those useful things you learned that you never managed to pass on. Gone.

As for our own experience, I think that the moment of death will be the most blissful of our lives, a complete letting go all all concerns. With exponential time dilation as death approaches, perhaps even a significant or eternal afterlife could be subjectively experienced in the final second/s of life?

It's ironic that death - of disappearing - is amongst our greatest fears, yet that is what we all yearn for every night. To temporarily disappear. We become tired, need a break. We are all eager to surrender the self. Just as long as we know we'll wake up again. Perhaps that is how it is with life and death? Perhaps death is just another level of surrender in the continuation of particular patterns of life? This particular Plato's Stepchild or Greta will disappear from the Earth, but the law of averages suggests that entities who are very much like us will appear from time to time.
For me the issue has also been before me since childhood.

My cousin died very young in early elementary school. As a child, I missed her afterwards and wondered where she had gone?

Anytime my mom would take me to Catholic Church I always wondered if she was an angel in Heaven somewhere?

My father has also passed away and my mom is in her late 80's and probably will soon go as well.

My aunt and uncle are gone too now, so that leaves me, my sisters, and two other cousins as the only ones left from a huge family reunion a long time ago when we were kids and the grownups organized everything. The family cemetery is now the repose point for all their graves.

For me therefore death is inevitable and very real.

Since we did not any of us fear the millions of years before we were born, it makes no sense to fear the millions of years that will come after our deaths. In the philosophy of death, this is the most logical answer given that fear of death is foolishness.

Like Greta says, I think it will be a happy experience when it comes to each of us, as long as we don't accelerate the process ourselves.

The Philosophy God has the power of death over us and we should not interfere in that process, in my view. The Philosophy God decreed that we should each be born, and He/She/It/They has/have decreed that we should each die as well. There is no sense in fighting it. Might as well just accept it.

My view of course is a Catholic view, and it has obviously been programmed into me as such all my life by my parents, my teachers, and this one really beautiful nun who was in her early 20's as I recall and she loved children so she used to teach the children's catechism to us.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Just as we all remember where we were when we heard of the Challenger disaster or 9/11 or the Kennedy assassination (I was 2 so it's a bit foggy...), I can definitely remember the situation when I very first grasped the idea that my parents would not be here forever (a completely illogical idea that as a child I never second guessed). It only takes a minimal amount of thought to extrapolate from the mortality of one's parents to one's own mortality.

I have always looked back at my father's medical scare (he lived for many years afterwards) as a blessing since armed with my new outlook, I valued every possible interaction with my parents and "stopped to smell the roses" along the way.
"As usual... it depends."
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

LuckyR wrote:Just as we all remember where we were when we heard of the Challenger disaster or 9/11 or the Kennedy assassination (I was 2 so it's a bit foggy...), I can definitely remember the situation when I very first grasped the idea that my parents would not be here forever (a completely illogical idea that as a child I never second guessed). It only takes a minimal amount of thought to extrapolate from the mortality of one's parents to one's own mortality.

I have always looked back at my father's medical scare (he lived for many years afterwards) as a blessing since armed with my new outlook, I valued every possible interaction with my parents and "stopped to smell the roses" along the way.
Herodotus the ancient Greek historian and father of history had an interesting expression about death.

He said, in peacetime sons bury their fathers, while in wartime fathers bury their sons.

It is always good to appreciate what we have while we have it.

Return to “Introductions”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream