Hello, it's me.

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
BardoXV
New Trial Member

Hello, it's me.

Post by BardoXV » August 10th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I'm retired, will be 70 in Jan. about a year ago the 2nd of my grandchildren, that I was taking care of, started school so I am no longer taking care of them except one night a week. My primary interest is the Lutheran religion and Zen Buddhism, but I have some familiarity with the classical Greek Philosophers. I also have a casual interest in Mythology as interpreted by Joseph Campbell, I also like classical music, model railroading, and the naval history of WWII.

3. How can you reconcile free will and God's foreknowledge of what we will do?

-- Updated September 9th, 2016, 10:57 am to add the following --

Misty, being a new member I don't seem to be able to reply to a PM. If I did register in 2014, I don't remember.

Vivek7
New Trial Member

Re: Hello, it's me.

Post by Vivek7 » August 3rd, 2017, 5:12 am

Interesting to come across you to read your post. I am also retired recently from a commercial bank. However I am 58 and this is the age for retirement in Nepal. I am also interested in Zen Buddhism which I believe liberate my mind

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » August 4th, 2017, 11:04 am

Welcome BardoXV.
3. How can you reconcile free will and God's foreknowledge of what we will do?
I guess that would be similar to the more materialist version of the same question: If the universe behaved in accordance with deterministic physical laws, and if our brains are part of that universe, then presumably, a complete knowledge of the state of the universe at one moment implies complete knowledge of all future states, including the future states of our brains.

But, more intriguingly, what were questions 1 and 2? And can we manage to have a philosophical discussion about model railroads? Those of us who have been inmates here for many years, with no possibility of parole, crave novelty and when the door opens, a new inmate is admitted and we all look up from our chains, it's always with the hope of something new.

-1-

Post by -1- » August 4th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Com'n, Steve, you've been around much longer than not to know that.

Question one was how come god is capable of evil when he is infinitely good. And question two was why the original sin was absolved by the death of His son, when any other action could have been chosen for the same task.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.