Hi! [3rd year philosophy student]

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Excogitatoris
New Trial Member

Hi! [3rd year philosophy student]

Post by Excogitatoris »

Hi, I’m Patrick. I’m a philosophy student, in my 3rd and last year. (License)

I’ve just found out about this forum, and I’m excited to read your thoughts and share mine.

I strongly believe that philosophy could make anyone a much better thinker, which means a much better person. And that you don’t have to be a student, or have devoted yourself entirely to philosophy in order to understand complex ideas, or complex philosophers. (Such as Spinoza, Hegel, Nietzsche, Husserl, Paul Ricoeur etc...)

I also believe that forums like this one, have a mission to do, and that is to simplify and make what is hard to grasp, much easier to read and understand.

I’m also excited to meet people who actually decided to give more time to think about the problems of our existence.

See ya around!
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Re: Hi! [3rd year philosophy student]

Post by Renee »

Yepp. We're simple country-philosophers here, Patrick. We sit 'round the campfire, and philosophize until the cows come home. The woman is milking the goat, the men are smoking tobacco pipes and sitting in the saloon, drinking dry whisky, philosophizing-way. "In whiskey, veritas." We grab the bull by the horn of the dilemma, and wrestle with it. Sometimes it's the bull which wins, sometimes it's its droppings which win.

Why, just look at Shawn McSocrates there, the cattle farmer, and Brody McSchoppenhauer, they are Pegasus farmers, playing poker, for large stakes: right now there is the existential categoricus imperativus lying on the table, and ole' Mexican farmer Jesus Gomez Spinoza is about to put a spin on it by meeting it and raising it by two syllogisms.

--- Just kidding! Welcome to the fold, Patrick, i hope you have fun here with us.
Ignorance is power.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Renee wrote:Yepp. We're simple country-philosophers here, Patrick. We sit 'round the campfire, and philosophize until the cows come home. The woman is milking the goat, the men are smoking tobacco pipes and sitting in the saloon, drinking dry whisky, philosophizing-way. "In whiskey, veritas." We grab the bull by the horn of the dilemma, and wrestle with it. Sometimes it's the bull which wins, sometimes it's its droppings which win.

Why, just look at Shawn McSocrates there, the cattle farmer, and Brody McSchoppenhauer, they are Pegasus farmers, playing poker, for large stakes: right now there is the existential categoricus imperativus lying on the table, and ole' Mexican farmer Jesus Gomez Spinoza is about to put a spin on it by meeting it and raising it by two syllogisms.

--- Just kidding! Welcome to the fold, Patrick, i hope you have fun here with us.
Haha! you've been watching Westworld haven't you.

Welcome Patrick :). Any particular area you're interested in?
I also believe that forums like this one, have a mission to do, and that is to simplify and make what is hard to grasp, much easier to read and understand.
What do you mean?

Kidding! Totally with you there.
Excogitatoris
New Trial Member

Post by Excogitatoris »

Gertie wrote: Welcome Patrick :). Any particular area you're interested in?
Hey Gertie,

Thank you. It seems that you guys are so much fun.
What I'm interested in at the moment, apart of my university researches and papers, is the the philosophy of Spinoza, as a philosophy of joy. So I'm trying to deepen my knowledge of his Ethics.
In general I like philosophy of religion, and philosophy of science as well.
What about you?

Ow by the way, I'm a big fan of WestWorld! Waiting for Episode 6 :cry:

Patrick
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Westworld is a bit heavy on **** n ass for me, damsels and whores - hello is that really the full range of women's career opportunities in an entertainment focused wild west? Can't wait for the worms to turn, maybe tonight's the night... But it's really well done and raises some fascinating questions. Philosophy of mind is a big interest of mine, and the moral ambiguity of AI consciousness in Westworld is annoyingly confused/confusing, but fascinating too, and might be something we need to start worrying about.

I'm ignorant of Spinoza, but all for Joy, so let me know if you crack that one! Looking forward to seeing you around the place, mostly interested lay peeps like me here I think, it's nice to have insights from people who've rehearsed the arguments in a more formal way to add their perspectves :).
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Hi, Patrick,

I don't know anything about Spinoza, other than it makes a nice side-dish, creamed, heavy on the garlic.

I've had my own ideas about joy/happiness, and then I heard something new, on the radio, which said happiness is something that happens to you when your expectations are exceeded. You buy a lottery ticket, you expect to win ten dollars, fine, you are happy with forty thousand dollar win. Or that you get a promotion at work, or have a fine holiday, Xmas comes, you hear good news about your health from your doctor after some scare, the jury finds you not guilty.

My original thoughts about joy and happiness were very strictly tied to evolution. Joy is what you get when your needs are fulfilled; you don't need your needs fulfilled when you are full; but gradually you feel the hunger more and more strongly, and then hopefully you get satisfaction again.

This is a push-pull relationship of need, motivation, action, and happiness. Essential to biological behaviour.

I developed a theory which is along the same way, but goes a bit deeper into it: the more essential a survival element is, the more painful is its absence of satisfaction, and the less lasting happiness it provides by its satisfaction.

Take breathing, for example. It gives you death if you deny it satisfaction for more than five minutes, and breathing gives you no special joy by satisfaction.

Take drinking water. Its absence kills you in three days, and very painfully so; and quenching your thirst gives you pleasure, not happiness.

Take eating. It kills you if absent for two weeks, but happiness it can't provide, although it provides joy and pleasure (which breathing does not when satisfying).

Take the later-developed skills (in terms of when they entered the species' activities in evolutionary terms) and needs of greed, family expansion, intellect development and art appreciation. They each give you lasting happiness, although not everlasting; and denying any one of them does not kill you. These skills and needs are complex; their satisfaction can come in many different ways; while breathing is singularly satisfied only, drinking is somewhat varied, food is much varied, but not to the complexity of variableness that these (in evolutionary terms) later developed skills can be satisfied at.

-------------

That's my view in a nutshell. I don't want to take it to the grave with me, but no journal of philosophy is interested in publishing it, so here it is, my gift to mankind.
Ignorance is power.

Return to “Introductions”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream