Introductions are the internet version Hows the weather

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Xenocide
New Trial Member

Introductions are the internet version Hows the weather

Post by Xenocide » February 5th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Hello all, as you might be able to tell from the topic name I'm not a huge fan of introductions but here goes.

I'm 26, in Colorado USA, I work as a mental health counselor at a suicide hotline. I spend most of my free time doing art, and at this point I'm not bad at it. I am also dyslexic so while I will do my best, I may have more spelling errors then most, if that is the sort of thing that drives you nuts we probably shouldn't talk much.

I guess the most relevant information for this particular forum is that while I love philosophy, I prefer it be centered more in the here and now. So while I am unlikely to care if God exists, I do want to know if doctors should encourage faith if it helps patients.

This will likely be the only thing I post for awhile, after all I have a staggering amount of back topics to read through.

Cheers etc.

TSBU

Re: Introductions are the internet version Hows the weather

Post by TSBU » February 7th, 2017, 7:05 am

Here it's cloudy and there is a lot of wind.

Xenocide
New Trial Member

Post by Xenocide » February 7th, 2017, 7:10 am

And how about that local sports team?

TSBU

Post by TSBU » February 8th, 2017, 6:56 am

What are the most common explanations people say when they talk to you about killing themselves? And what kind of things do you usually say to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIqDmXK_IXE

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » February 19th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Xenocide:
This will likely be the only thing I post for awhile, after all I have a staggering amount of back topics to read through.
If you really are going to do that before posting again, your next post will just about coincide with the Earth being swallowed by the bloated Red Giant Sun, the oceans having long since boiled away to space and the last of the extremophile bacteria, deep in the crust, writing their final diary entries. This website will still be here and some of the posters will still be talking exclusively about the same subjects.

-1-

Post by -1- » February 21st, 2017, 8:35 am

Did you know that Xeno was a Greek philosopher and mathematician, who created some confounding paradoxes that had not been solved until the advent of modern calculus?

And did you mean by Xenocide to kill all the foreigners? Is that your calling? Xenophobia means "fear of foreigners", xenocide means "murder of foreigners".

Why do you want to prevent some kind of people from killing themselves, and want to kill people of some different, other persuasion? Are you patriotic to that huge extent, that you believe that American (local) lives ought to be preserved at all costs, but foreign lives are not worth living, and they must be snuffed out as soon as possible, to make room for more American lives?
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » February 21st, 2017, 8:47 am

I wondered about that word "Xenocide" too. I also thought it might mean killing foreigners or killing ancient Greeks who talked about races between tortoises and hares. So I looked it up. Apparently it means killing an entire species. And it's also a book.

-- Updated Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 pm to add the following --

Hold up, I just looked it up again. Apparently it also means killing foreigners. My bad.

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 » February 21st, 2017, 2:23 pm

-1-:
Did you know that Xeno was a Greek philosopher and mathematician …
Zeno is for some of us xeno, that is, a foreigner or stranger, but Zeno is not Xeno. He was, after all, named after Zeus, who, if he had his way would be ruler of all and stranger to none.

Perhaps Xenocide is a killer in the Xenoblade Chronicles.