Hi all! Quick question...

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Cchloee
New Trial Member

Hi all! Quick question...

Post by Cchloee » April 9th, 2017, 5:43 am

Hi everyone,
I just started using this forum (and reading philosophy at uni). Was wondering if philosophy of sociology should go under philosophy of science..? Sorry for the stupid question..

Fooloso4

Re: Hi all! Quick question...

Post by Fooloso4 » April 9th, 2017, 10:01 am

Hi Cchloee,

I think general philosophy would be better, unless the question is whether sociology should be considered a science.

-1-

Post by -1- » June 11th, 2017, 4:59 am

Philosophy of Sociology should NOT go under!!

P of S shall prevail, haha!!! Longer than any individual alive today.
"You can always live without a lover, but you can't love without a liver."

Sayso
New Trial Member

Post by Sayso » July 14th, 2017, 1:09 pm

If there is a sliver of thought properly called "philosophy of sociology," it belongs under the aegis of politics.

Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science » July 14th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Normally, philosophy of science deals with the natural and physical sciences, but philosophy of science also deals with social sciences. There is philosophy of economics, psychology, and sociology. However, not every philosophical question involving sociology would be a question within the realm of philosophy of science. A question regarding whether a specific methodology would be scientific for a sociologist would be a question for philosophy of science. However, a question regarding whether a sociological doctrine is moral, or leads to immoral outcomes, something along those lines, would seem to me to be more of a philosophical question regarding morality or politics. The bottom line is I think the category will depend a lot on the specific question being raised.